bmiller59 post at 2024-4-9 01:01:29

Run Raspberry Pi 4 Ubuntu OS on Orange Pi 5?

Hello. I am migrating from a Raspberry Pi 4 running Ubuntu on a USB drive to an Orange Pi 5. I would like to boot to my existing Ubuntu USB drive but now on the Orange Pi 5.

Is this possible? Will that OS run on Orange Pi 5? I tried, it but it didn't work. I am not sure if this is because of a boot configuration error I made, or if that OS from the Rapsberry Pi is simply incompatible and will not run.

It would be nice to be able to find a way to run it, as it has a lot of software and configuration on it that I would like to keep and would be a pain to transfer.

Thank you for any advice.

bmiller59 post at 2024-4-13 00:07:53

I answered my own question using an AI. This is what it said:

Unfortunately, you cannot run an unmodified Ubuntu image for the Raspberry Pi directly on an Orange Pi 5. While both devices use ARM-based processors, they have different instruction set architectures (ISAs) and hardware configurations.

The Raspberry Pi uses ARM Cortex-A72 (ARMv8) processors, while the Orange Pi 5 uses a Rockchip RK3588 SoC based on ARM Cortex-A76/A55 (also ARMv8) processors. This means that the binaries and kernel modules compiled for one device are not directly compatible with the other.

To run Ubuntu on an Orange Pi 5, you would need to use an Ubuntu image specifically built for the Orange Pi 5 or other Rockchip RK3588 devices. These images will have the appropriate kernel, drivers, and other components tailored for the Orange Pi 5 hardware.

Some options for running Ubuntu on an Orange Pi 5 include:

1. Using an Ubuntu Server image from the Orange Pi community or other third-party sources that have built Ubuntu images for the RK3588.

2. Building your own Ubuntu image for the Orange Pi 5 by following the instructions from the Orange Pi community or other guides for building Ubuntu on Rockchip RK3588 devices.

3. Using an Ubuntu-based distribution like Armbian that provides images for various ARM boards, including the Orange Pi 5.

In summary, while Ubuntu is available for both the Raspberry Pi and Orange Pi platforms, you cannot directly use a Raspberry Pi Ubuntu image on an Orange Pi 5 due to the differences in their hardware architectures and drivers needed.

namdosan1409 post at 2024-5-8 10:25:38

Orange Pi, a Chinese open-source hardware and software company, has released its most recent SBC (single board computer) model, the Orange Pi 5. Slope Game
page: [1]
View full version: Run Raspberry Pi 4 Ubuntu OS on Orange Pi 5?