Can't detect arduino on Orange PI PC

[Copy link]

threads

credits

Novice

credits
Published in 2016-1-31 20:11:31 | Show all floors |Read mode
Hello,
after fixing my issue with the usb drives that dont get mounted automatically, i found out that my arduino doesnt get recognised by the IDE, only dev/ttyS0 it's shown on the serial ports menu, but that is not for sure the the arduino. How do i connect to it? and the most important question, why the Orange PI distro of the Raspbian OS is so bad and there arent "automount" scripts and a lot of other stuff, i'm even pretty upset by the fact that it's the only raspbian i can frun on it, i cant use the Officail Raspbian on their website, because the orange doesnt even turn on. Viceversa orange software on raspbian works.

threads

credits

Gold member

credits
Published in 2016-1-31 21:20:24 | Show all floors
Most likely the kernel wasn't compiled with the USB-serial adapter drivers enabled. Unless you're willing to compile the kernel yourself you only have two choices: hope that someone else does it for you, or use another distro.

threads

credits

Novice

credits
 Author| Published in 2016-2-1 05:00:20 from mobile | Show all floors
What's the point then for them to install by default something you can't use? Why they do such bad firmware? There is no point to distribute such image to the users which basically limitate the usage that bad. I am not able to put my hands on the kernel, I mean I cna learn how to, but I don't have much time since it's a school project, and I need to run a java application (which by the way again not compatible with OrangeOS) which sends through serial port gcode to an Arduino UNO. At this point I just wasted 1 month and a half +20€ on something it's unusable.

threads

credits

Gold member

credits
Published in 2016-2-1 09:14:18 | Show all floors
Why they do such bad firmware?

Because they're hoping the community will do all the work for them for free.

Alas, I do have to ask: why don't you try any other distro? Is there some really specific reason for you to stick with Raspbian? You could e.g. try Debian 8 (Jessie) from http://www.orangepi.org/orangepi ... page%3D1&page=1 which even includes the Orange Pi - port of WiringPi.

threads

credits

Novice

credits
 Author| Published in 2016-2-1 13:53:50 from mobile | Show all floors
Mainly because I first used a raspberry PI using that os and I found that was very handy to use, but I couldn't use that for our project because was borrowed from school. Since we have only a low budget and we need better stepper motors we decided to go low cost even with a raspberry (wrong choice apparently) one other issue for me is that I don't own a USB keyboard so i can't work at home with it unless it has ssh or vnc tunnel that runs at startup, because only thing I have is a USB mouse but I can't login with it so I can't even start vnc or ssh. Can you assure me that if I flash that image on the SD it will have at least the ash running at the startup?

threads

credits

Gold member

credits
Published in 2016-2-1 18:05:03 | Show all floors
Can you assure me that if I flash that image on the SD it will have at least the ash running at the startup?

No, I can't. I do not even have an Orange Pi, so I cannot check such things myself.

threads

credits

Novice

credits
 Author| Published in 2016-2-1 20:13:17 from mobile | Show all floors
Thanks anyway for your effort, seems like one of the worst purchases I've ever done.

threads

credits

Registered member

credits
Published in 2022-4-27 19:12:56 | Show all floors
I've been having a similar issue with my USB as well. However, an informative essay on the issue lead me to get rid of the issue. Hit me up and I'll lead you to the essay.
You need to log in before you can reply login | Register

Points Rule

Quick reply Top Return list