login|Register
Forum > Other
Post|
看20292|回11|Favorite
y52 看全部
2016-2-20 21:54:13
Are virtualisation features QEMU or XEN built with the ARM kernels for OPI's-xx allowing install Windows system?
I saw it was done for Raspberry :
http://shackspace.de/?p=3859

Anyone has any knowledge on how to mount the Windows system on an OPI board thus replacing the desktop computer?

WereCatf 看全部
2016-2-21 17:33:12
It's not virtualization, it's emulation: all the current desktop-versions of Windows are x86 whereas Orange Pis are ARM and there is no way of running an x86 Windows through virtualization. That said, yes, you can install Qemu and run Windows under if you wish. It's just going to be slow as all fuck.
y52 看全部
2016-2-22 06:05:51
I am currently running the Armbian H3 image on the OPI+ board, which still lacks the X system. So my Qemu virtual machine was unable to run:

root@orangepiplus:~# qemu-system-x86_64 -cdrom winXPfr.orig.iso -hda winXP.qcow -boot d -net nic -net user -m 512 -localtime
Could not initialize SDL(No available video device) - exiting

Has anybody tried it to evaluate the performance?

I understand, that ARM will not make the x86 virtualization. Nevertheless, it is interesting to evaluate this OPI+ for that usage. Has anybody tried it so far?

At the same time, will XEN make a lot of difference?

It was also reported, that Win RT for ARM existed and probably a new Win10 version will run on ARM as well.
WereCatf 看全部
2016-2-22 12:46:25
Xen uses Qemu for emulation, so no, you wouldn't gain anything from using Xen. WinRT has been abandoned and it was only used on the ARM-based Surface-devices -- it has never been released as a separate product and trying to run it under Qemu would, first of all, require you to extract an image from one of those surface-devices and then modifying. The Windows 10 - version for ARM does not include GUI -- it's meant for IoT - devices. There are some rumours going on that they *may* release a version with GUI, too, but... well, those are just rumours at this point, and even if it did happen it'd be at least a year away.

Besides, what would you gain from running an ARM-version of Windows when 99% of all software is compiled for x86 and thus you wouldn't be able to run them?
y52 看全部
2016-2-23 04:28:58
Thanks for sharing your ideas. The way you explained it, the only way to run Windows is to emulate it in Qemu.

Has any experience been made?
123NextPage

OrangePi En