RetrOrangePI Armbian + Kodi + RetroArch

[Copy link]

threads

credits

Intermediate member

credits
Published in 2016-7-18 18:48:57 | Show all floors
hello guys,
i've tried and had success with writing image to sdcard AND booting into system. BUT: no mt7601 support, but ist was easy to fix, hope this will be fixed in the future for other users who are not into compiling (or just lazy).
for those who are interessted in mt7601 wifi: https://github.com/igorpecovnik/ ... uecomment-220797470
worked fine. i simply used some other lines in /etc/network/interfaces, because you are able to change wifi-ap in retropie-setup:

1. allow-hotplug ra0
  2. auto ra0
  3. iface ra0 inet dhcp
  4. wpa-conf /etc/wpa_supplicant/wpa_supplicant.conf
Copy code

anyway, kodi (in this ditro it's XBMC...why) isn't starting. there's no crashlog until i start desktop AND terminal => xbmc.
but in crashlog, i can't find any errors. but in terminal it says something about mali...i don't know.

threads

credits

Intermediate member

credits
Published in 2016-7-18 20:34:53 | Show all floors
kodi is kodi, not xbmc , run from EmulationStation , you can run from command line too , ~/RetroPie/roms/.kodi/kodi.sh should work
are you on latest build? https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B8Dh1_wAL84aLVJXa2lsdDFIYk0

threads

credits

Intermediate member

credits
Published in 2016-7-18 21:22:00 | Show all floors
Edited by nightflasher at 2016-7-18 21:31

yeah, it's the same version. but if i try to get auto completion in terminal on "ko TAB-TAB" it only shows "koi8rxterm"...i will manualy install kodi...keep fingers crossed ;-)

EDIT: "apt install kodi" worked fine and kodi is now running...yeah :-D

threads

credits

Intermediate member

credits
Published in 2016-7-18 22:34:55 | Show all floors
Edited by alerino at 2016-7-18 22:46

oh ok, the package is self compiled xbmc-17.0, but executable is actually kodi-bin, kodi-standalone etc... you probally run 'sudo apt-get autoremove' which might have deleted our build. I believe stock debian Kodi has no accelerated video, use ~/.kodi/userdata/playercorefactory.xml if you want to make use of MPV with VDPAU for hardware decoding

threads

credits

Intermediate member

credits
Published in 2016-7-19 17:20:55 | Show all floors
okay, i got it: don't 'apt upgrade'!!! i've disabled the debian parts in sources.list so the armbian is the only repository.
did you ever try OpenELEC by jernej in this forum? He was able to activate 4k UHD videos in kodi, i really do appreciate that. if you two (or how many you allready are) put your skills together, this would make the best combination i could ever dream off. the retro-station and the media-center guys in a collaboration to build the only one package you need for medie and gaming ;-)

threads

credits

Intermediate member

credits
Published in 2016-7-19 22:34:11 | Show all floors
OpenELEC is a great distro, but i really don't like the read-only approach of it, very limited imo. Making 4k videos to play fine is indeed a feature we'll pursue.

threads

credits

Intermediate member

credits
Published in 2016-7-20 18:31:00 | Show all floors
yeah, this r/o permission is really annoying. but you get a almost stable media center, and in OrangeElec 4k on OrangePiPC. isn't there an addon to integrate reatroarch into kodi? i do remember that i've heard something like this.

threads

credits

Intermediate member

credits
Published in 2016-7-20 20:58:25 | Show all floors
Yes , it does and works well, only downside is the launcher , not as good as RetroPie/EmulationStation interface, but excellent for ocasional gaming.

threads

credits

Novice

credits
Published in 2016-8-16 14:32:48 | Show all floors
nightflasher replied at 2016-7-18 18:48
hello guys,
i've tried and had success with writing image to sdcard AND booting into system. BUT: no ...

@nightflasher: are you now able to connect to WPA2 networks? Because that seems to be a known issue of Armbian on the OPi and indeed I'm also unable to connect to my home network. I didn't have much time to dive into it, but I'm considering using an ethernet cable or another wifi usb dongle to get RetrOrangePi set up and then experiment further.

threads

credits

Novice

credits
Published in 2016-8-17 14:12:24 | Show all floors
Still wifi problems with my WPA2 network. I followed the directions in the post that @nightflasher linked to add mt7601 support to the kernel (some commands required root privileges so I had to add "sudo" to get them working) and then applied @nightflasher's lines to  /etc/network/interfaces. Because I wasn't able to change the interface to ra0, it's still wlan0 for me and I changed  /etc/network/interfaces accordingly. But still, when I'm trying to connect to my home network, it takes a long time to get a "no connection" message.

I also tried a USB wifi dongle, which works fine on RPi and thelike. It's also recognized on OPi+RetrOrangePie, but when I try to connect to my network using this adapter, the OPi crashes and reboots.

For now, a cable is the only thing working for internet connection.
You need to log in before you can reply login | Register

Points Rule

Quick reply Top Return list