please choosego to mobile | Continue to access the PC version
Author: vlaho

opi Openelec and dvb_usb_rtl2832u (again)

[Copy link]

threads

credits

Registered member

credits
 Author| Published in 2016-6-20 03:33:07 | Show all floors
Jernej

feedback on build you prepared - thank you:

- dvb_usb_rtl2832u driver itself works without problem - hope you will keep it in future builds

- speed of playing any media is really good - no problem there; IPTV works fine, full hd media plays clean;

Some other things:

seems like tvheadend implemenation is not ok:  can not switch channels - once you try,
any video on any chanell gets scrambled (not coded, but messed up);  when CEC was active,
(CEC was activated by default - I have never seen that before - of course I put it off - horrible thing - messes up everything
- can not control tv set with tv remote when this is active - disaster)
combination of tvh unsuccesful channel switch and actve CEC froze system completly - power cycle is needed.
(tv dongle and antenna are ok - reception is ok - when attached to any other tvh server works without any problem),
one may say it is dongle driver problem, but it smells  more like tvh to kodi problem - have no proof for that.

Kodi, when starts playing any media (tv, iptv, full hd file)  never  gets right aspect - allways makes something wrong,
you always have to correct that for every media run (never seen that in xbmc/kodi)

and, of course, whole system has no color correction (white balance, gamma)  controls.

Hope this will be solved. Once again thanks

Regards

threads

credits

credits
Published in 2016-6-20 03:41:45 | Show all floors
jodamm, author of the CEC driver, said that the driver has buffer overflow and will publish fix with other updates. So at least that needs to be solved first. As long as CSC goes, it is on my todo list, but not a high priority and requires patched kernel because Allwinner obviously didn't see this as a must have function (there is some code for CSC, but it is not exposed to userspace).

I really don't know what's wrong with aspect ratios. All videos I have are good. Except maybe if you have MPEG2 stream. This codec doesn't work well.

threads

credits

Registered member

credits
 Author| Published in 2016-6-20 04:14:35 | Show all floors
no worries, CEC is something I only need to be able to turn off - I see  lots of people want it,
but I find it very impactical - you can not control any other device completly with tv remote,
and you can not control tv at all when cec is active - on paper it looks dream come thru, but in real life ...,
you can  also control kodi w. phone or tablet, but why complicate just because you can ?
for media resorces I use 12-15 us$ 2.4 GHz palm size keyboards w. touchpad - they are
suprizingly high quality - no rubber feeling there, full set of keys, really work like full size keyb and full size touchpad,
and you have full control w. comfort.

I will check my other installatons    for streaming configuration.
Rgds

threads

credits

Registered member

credits
 Author| Published in 2016-6-20 05:25:19 | Show all floors
I have checked:  default profile was htsp, made matroska default profile as on other systems I have
- but it didn't help - couple of power cycles .. - everything comes back again;

Playing iptv and mkv's, mp4's is initiallly in proper aspect (only)in two cases:
- either tvh, htsp client and tv are disabled, or  tv stick is deatached (so there is nothing for tvh to pass to kodi);
problems are present (all over kodi)  when tvh can and has somthing to pass to kodi

Regards  

threads

credits

Registered member

credits
 Author| Published in 2016-6-21 06:23:06 | Show all floors
Hi Jernej,I belive I have located point of trouble:

- yesterday's testing results:  
a) dongle attached, thv on, htsp client on:  kodi can not switch channeles - freezes;  can not start playing iptv or media files w. proper aspect;
b) tv part off (including htsp client) :  iptv and media files playing works perfect

today:
c) tv part on: dongle attached, tvh on:
kodi from other computer (htsp client) attaches to opi openelec tvh thru network (wifi) - works like charm - chanell switching, aspect ...

and to confim:
d) opi openelec kodi using its htsp client connects (thru wifi) to a tvh server on x64 system that works without any problems:
- problems starting all over - wrong aspect, scrambled tv picture when changing channel, opi/openelec freezes;

obviously, dvb_usb_rtl2832u driver works without problems, tvh works, kodi on its own works ok - play media really well,
but  opi openelec htsp client  causes trouble;
Rgds.

threads

credits

Registered member

credits
 Author| Published in 2016-6-26 22:15:58 | Show all floors
Hi;
Today I have installed vdr backend (and client) instead of tvheadend - got same results:
- rtl2832u works fine, backend works fine, but in kodi aspect is wrong, freezing when chanell switch is atempted, segmentation fault -
- so it is not even problem of particular client, but of kodi code itself
(this symptoms were described before in similar thread - one on Gutek's fork)

Regards

threads

credits

credits
Published in 2016-6-27 03:37:52 | Show all floors
vlaho replied at 2016-6-26 15:15
Hi;
Today I have installed vdr backend (and client) instead of tvheadend - got same results:
- rtl28 ...

Direct channel switching is a long known bug, but unreproducable on my side as I don't have any DVB dongle. Tried with IPTV client, found and fix one bug for channel switching, but it seems that there is another one. Known workaround is to stop playback and then select new channel (e.g. indirect switch). Other than that, I can't help you. My interest in this project is mostly on kernel side, so Kodi gets tweaks here and there. Anyway, I will probably rewrite Kodi support over the summer and I expect that this crash will be fixed with that rewrite. Do you get your issues with latest prebuilt image 2016/6/2 (minus DVB driver as they are not included there)?

threads

credits

Registered member

credits
 Author| Published in 2016-6-27 04:25:07 | Show all floors
to be honest, I can't be sure any more about 2016/06/02 build (22840) - I overwrote that card,
I don't even remember I tried to connect that buid to other tvh server,
as I tried with the build that supports dvb_usb_rtl2832u (22862);
does our friend who owns fine working mygica dongle experiences similar issues ?

threads

credits

credits
Published in 2016-6-27 04:58:05 | Show all floors
You can use update functionality (tar files) also for downgrade... Not sure who has similar issues but channel switching is well known.

threads

credits

Registered member

credits
Published in 2016-6-27 23:14:36 | Show all floors
he must be talking about me
it crashes when switching from hd to sd channels only
im on 5/10 image where t230 driver is still included
You need to log in before you can reply login | Register

Points Rule

Quick reply Top Return list