OPI One not booting

[Copy link]

threads

credits

Novice

credits
Published in 2016-11-7 03:26:09 | Show all floors |Read mode
Hi,

I just got Orange Pi One delivered few days ago but I cannot get it to start. I tried several images so far, but no luck. On one (I think it was Lubuntu downloaded from Orange PI site) the power led lighted in red and the monitor had signal, but the screen was black.
I am trying now with Armbian_5.20_Orangepione_Debian_jessie_3.4.112_desktop.img as I heard it is the only image that really works with that board, but with this one I only see led lights on the ethernet port, no power status led and signal on monitor.
The leds on the ethernet port flashes 3 times after I plug in power source. Nothing happens after pressing power button. I have only HDMI cable connected to a LG 23'' TV. No ethernet cable and nothing connected on USB.
I just ordered UART2USB debug cable to check the serial console, but need to wait few days to get it.
I already tried two different 8GB class 10 SD cards and two different 5V 2A chargers with no luck.
Any ideas what I am doing wrong?

Regards.

threads

credits

Intermediate member

credits
Published in 2016-11-7 13:35:39 | Show all floors
Make sure 5v/2A power supply is connected to the socket.
Some cases HDMI resolutions  are  not supported straight away(need to tweak) ..
UART is the best option to troubleshoot ..  

method 1 ,Check ethernet
   1. connect orange pi to laptop's ethernet port  
   2. download wireshark https://www.wireshark.org/  & Run
   3. Wireshark will list the number of ethernet interfaces available to the PC
   4. select the port in which orange pi is connected. see  " Network Adapter Setting "
   5. Now if orange PI is up & running you should be able to see the DHCP messages ..

Method 2 SSH

1. connect orange pi to router, power ON the OPI
  2. Download the ip scanner from here  http://angryip.org/download/#windows
  3. Check the start & end  ip address of your router , my case it is (192.168.1.1 - 192.168.1.255)
  4. Scan the IP address range , scanner will list the number of devices connected to the router .. One of the device is Orange Pi ..
  5. Download Putty http://www.putty.org/
  6. Run , select "SSH" give the IP address one by one , if any warning comes ,allow it ..  
  7. when promoted give armbian user name & password "root" "1234"

threads

credits

Novice

credits
 Author| Published in 2016-11-7 14:31:55 | Show all floors
Edited by huami at 2016-11-7 14:38

Thanks for the 2 methods. I checked with Wireshark and I see only packets coming out from the laptop (source MAC address in packets matches with my laptop's ethernet MAC address).
Btw what should be the color of the power and status leds on the board and do they start flashing just after the power source is connected?
I checked the voltage on the back of the board while it is powered on and it showed me 4.65 V. The charger is 5.1 V 2A from Samsung tablet.
I will try with a different power source but still waiting for delivery.

Thanks.

threads

credits

Intermediate member

credits
Published in 2016-11-7 17:41:31 | Show all floors
4.65V is very low ,  cable resistance issue?.. My experience is this board takes more current during the startup , in case if the power is not adequate kernel hangs .. IF you have USB-UART you can see that ...     On LED , I have "Orange Pi PC" some times green light blinks , some times if I connect ethernet cable it blinks , or idle ..(armbian latest image)

threads

credits

Novice

credits
 Author| Published in 2016-11-7 20:59:10 | Show all floors
The problem was with the tablet charger. It works now with a different charger that I just got delivered. Thanks for help.
You need to log in before you can reply login | Register

Points Rule

Quick reply Top Return list