credits
Published in 2017-1-2 03:35:31 | Show all floors
@kit lower the screen resolution to avoid purple screen

threads

credits

Intermediate member

credits
Published in 2017-1-3 02:57:19 | Show all floors
Still unusable. I can do nothing with my orange pipc2. Without the official Mali drivers this thing is worthless. Once you get the driver this thing replaces the whole past.

threads

credits

Registered member

credits
Published in 2017-1-3 09:19:08 | Show all floors
Giantofstone replied at 2017-1-3 02:57
Still unusable. I can do nothing with my orange pipc2. Without the official Mali drivers this thing  ...

Agreed - can't really do much of anything on it. Basically just a pointless pursuit at the moment - hope something changes soon.

threads

credits

Registered member

credits
Published in 2017-1-8 07:03:00 | Show all floors
Orange Pi needs to sort out the PC2 H5 issues very quickly. To issue a board with fundamental failing ie can not play Video is unbelieveable.

I had such a great experience with my Orange Pi PC H3 but the Orange Pi PC2 H5 is a disaster.

If you are thinking of buying a Orange Pi PC2 absolutely hold off untill Orange Pi and Allwinner come up with the software to make it work properly.

threads

credits

Registered member

credits
Published in 2017-1-8 10:44:08 | Show all floors
Seasalt replied at 2017-1-8 07:03
Orange Pi needs to sort out the PC2 H5 issues very quickly. To issue a board with fundamental failin ...

I totally agree

threads

credits

Registered member

credits
Published in 2017-1-9 12:30:41 | Show all floors
Edited by Seasalt at 2017-1-9 12:34

I am thinking of asking for my money back. I mean what is the point the specification sheet  said the Orange Pi PC2 can display 4000 line Video. But the Linux image supplied by Orange Pi PC2 cannot play 720p video.

They either sort this out or  I will ask Alibaba to refund.

threads

credits

Registered member

credits
Published in 2017-1-10 18:23:39 | Show all floors
Edited by kaiser at 2017-1-10 18:30
thc013 replied at 2017-1-2 03:35
@kit lower the screen resolution to avoid purple screen

Nope, this is just the result of a HDMI-to-DVI converter in between and can be adjusted in the .dtb (you would've to alter boot script to be able to exchange .dtb though).

Also regarding Mali drivers: This is also wrong. If you're not a retro gamer or like to look at stupid OpenGL ES benchmarks you gain exactly NOTHING from Mali drivers since they're only responsible for 3D acceleration. Everything else and especially video is unrelated to Mali.

To get decent HW accelerated video playback you need the correct settings and a player making use of VDPAU (eg. mpv or smplayer). According to linux-sunxi dev jemk video decoding there works perfectly and just as with H3 so in case you want to watch youtube videos you have to setup everything correctly and use smtube (which is just a frontend for smplayer which is just a frontend for mplayer which then can make use of Allwinner's video engine).

You will never get any HW accelerated video decoding from within browsers like Firefox or Chromium running in Linux since their developers don't make use of the necessary low-level APIs needed to use Allwinner's video engine. If you want to mis-use a developer board as TV box better use Android or even better buy a f*cking Android TV box and not a dev board that should run Linux!

threads

credits

Registered member

credits
Published in 2017-1-10 18:27:59 | Show all floors
Edited by kaiser at 2017-1-10 18:37
Seasalt replied at 2017-1-9 12:30
I am thinking of asking for my money back. I mean what is the point the specification sheet said the Orange Pi PC2 can display 4000 line Video

What are you talking about?! Allwinner's video engine in H5 SoC is capable of decoding 4K video and the HDMI engine is able to display 4K @ 30 Hz. That's what the spec sheet says. This needs software support though. Allwinner might have this implemented for Android (no idea, I use iOS when I want to deal with this sort of stuff), the same functionality is available with proprietary libs in Linux or with the opensource Cedrus 'framework' after you set up environment correctly.

This is totally unrelated to Linux browsers like Firefox or Chromium not being able to use the APIs to talk to the video engine. They always have to do a fallback to software rendering and there 4 slow Cortex-A53 cores are simply not sufficient to deal with high resolutions. In other words: EVERYTHING AS EXPECTED!!! Stop whining! It's annoying!

threads

credits

Registered member

credits
Published in 2017-1-11 12:09:55 | Show all floors
kaiser replied at 2017-1-10 18:27
What are you talking about?! Allwinner's video engine in H5 SoC is capable of decoding 4K video and ...

Listen fanboy - with no support from OrangePi all of that is meaningless. What is annoying is you and others making excuses for poor to zero support for a board someone paid good money for. No matter what the Allwinner H5 SoC can do it is pointless without any support.

threads

credits

Registered member

credits
Published in 2017-1-11 14:54:29 | Show all floors
Horrorzilla replied at 2017-1-11 12:09
Listen fanboy - with no support from OrangePi all of that is meaningless. What is annoying is you ...

Sure

I just tried to explain why 'the cry for Mali' is useless (3D acceleration only), why Android is the better choice for a TV box (Allwinner's business unit 3 being focused solely on Android and not even thinking about Linux), how it's already possible to use HW accelerated video decoding from within Linux and why you NEVER will be able to play video this way in common Linux browsers like Firefox and Chromium (software needs access to APIs, this is not 'gpu' but Allwinner's video engine which might either be accessed using CedarX or Cedrus -- please educate yourself on both variants).

I tried to explain the main problem over there: http://www.cnx-software.com/2017 ... gsm/#comment-537982

BTW: I stopped contributing to Buddy's development efforts some time ago since until the BSP structure gets fixed it's just a waste of time to contribute. We (Armbian) might solely focus on mainline kernel with H5 devices since linux-sunxi community progress looks really good. No mis-use as TV box is a welcomed side effect
You need to log in before you can reply login | Register

Points Rule

Quick reply Top Return list