Best OS for Orange PI PC

[Copy link]

threads

credits

Novice

credits
Published in 2017-1-3 11:36:50 | Show all floors |Read mode
Hi all,
I am trying to figure what the best option is for me in terms of OS. I guess I can't have them all but here are a few things I need:
1. Run Libre Office (or similar);
2. Browse the web, and run decent web activities (news, email);
3. Watch YouTube. I am not saying that it must be flawless in fullscreen but I'd appreciate a decent video playing;
4. Watch Netflix. I am new with this but it looks to me that it's not really possible.
It would also be nice to have my RT5370 Ralink WiFi adapter working but it's a nice-to-have.
Can you please suggest what's the best distribution for you/your needs?
Thanks.

threads

credits

credits
Published in 2017-1-6 23:40:29 | Show all floors
Edited by igorpec at 2017-1-6 16:42
Given the smoothness of the video in VLC, I was pretty sure it's accelerated.

Just check CPU utilisation when playing video. If you will see some load, than it's software.

Thanks igorpec.
Given the smoothness of the video in VLC, I was pretty sure it's accelerated.

My main concern at this time is how to improve the web browsing experience... it's very laggy and my kid has hard time to submit simple math answers on IXL.
I basically updated the system to latest libraries but there is no improvement.

I am afraid this part is not yet developed and I don't know if anyone is working on it. One step further is to use some lightweight browser like Midori.

threads

credits

Forum patriarch

credits
Published in 2017-1-3 12:03:11 | Show all floors
Hi aegyssus,

I would suggest you use armbian. You find that here: https://www.armbian.com/orange-pi-pc/
You could install Kodi and the netflix addon for Kodi.
Please click on reply when answering direct to me. That way I get a notification ;)

"Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety."
                                  Benjamin Franklin 1755

threads

credits

Intermediate member

credits
Published in 2017-1-3 22:04:58 from mobile | Show all floors
There are only android, openelec and lakka that are fully working. I don't dare to take off the lakka os.

threads

credits

credits
Published in 2017-1-3 23:07:12 | Show all floors
There are only android, openelec and lakka that are fully working. I don't dare to take off the lakka os.

What's not working in Armbian that is working in those? Openelec uses more or less the same kernel, while other most likely uses unpatched, buggy stock kernel, ...

threads

credits

Intermediate member

credits
Published in 2017-1-3 23:58:42 | Show all floors
igorpec replied at 2017-1-3 23:07
What's not working in Armbian that is working in those? Openelec uses more or less the same kernel ...

Armbian uses crappy open source GPU drivers that are at WIP state. While there are official drives that have licence issues to be used on open source operating systems. Openelec is the best working OS with no use.

threads

credits

Intermediate member

credits
Published in 2017-1-4 03:50:10 | Show all floors
Edited by Giantofstone at 2017-1-4 04:30

PAndroid_4.4.2 and v1.0.21 Zidoo X1 are the most completed Android systems, both downclocked.

Zidoo X1
http://www.orangepi.org/orangepi ... 332&highlight=zidoo

Pandroid:
http://www.orangepi.org/orangepi ... 1596&extra=page%3D1

threads

credits

Novice

credits
 Author| Published in 2017-1-4 06:43:46 | Show all floors
Hi,
Thank you so much for your suggestions. So far, I tried Openelec and it is very stable, great build indeed with hw acceleration. Great picture in 720p but, when switching to 1080p, it will cut the sound periodically though I am fine with 720p. It's just that I need a more complete OS.
Also tried Armbian and Pandroid but they seemed quite slow. I will give a try to Lakka and Zidoo.
Much appreciated!

threads

credits

credits
Published in 2017-1-4 13:35:47 | Show all floors
Also tried Armbian and Pandroid but they seemed quite slow. I will give a try to Lakka and Zidoo.

In Armbian even 4k video is playing (almost) fine while 1080p runs perfectly fine. Perhaps you use some unsupported codec? http://linux-sunxi.org/Cedrus

Armbian uses crappy open source GPU drivers that are at WIP state.

Our system is general purpose, so it's not that critical to use open source driver for video playing.

threads

credits

Intermediate member

credits
Published in 2017-1-4 17:11:12 | Show all floors
Then how do i play videos with youtube browser for the smplayer? It works already slow and when i put full screen the video gets stuck calculating and only sound works. I have tried all possible video render methods with no visible improvement.

threads

credits

Forum patriarch

credits
Published in 2017-1-4 18:19:49 | Show all floors
igorpec replied at 2017-1-4 13:35
In Armbian even 4k video is playing (almost) fine while 1080p runs perfectly fine. Perhaps you use ...

@igorpec:
Isn't it correct that the H3 has 'only' a Mali400 which itself has the limitation to 1080p. At least the specs say so ;)
Therfore IMHO the H3s are the wrong HW platform to do 4k videos.

If you mean to play 4k downscaled, I stand corrected

The Mali450 on the H5 (OPI PC2) could handle 4k, but as there is no linux source code of the orange pi makers for the PC2 it is doubtfull there will be a fully functionable linuxOS in the near future. In the armbian forum there is a discusion about the PC2, but if I recall it correctly they more like to focus on the upcomming PC3 rather to develop the PC2 as no linux source code is there for it...

I think the is no low low cost 64bit platform available which has a full operational OS atm The pine64 has a full operational OS, but there you are stuck with the Mali400 hence no 4k...

Please click on reply when answering direct to me. That way I get a notification ;)

"Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety."
                                  Benjamin Franklin 1755
You need to log in before you can reply login | Register

Points Rule

Quick reply Top Return list