View: 11641|Reply: 5

Orange Pi One not booting

[Copy link]

threads

credits

Novice

credits
Published in 2017-1-4 11:21:30 | Show all floors |Read mode
I received an Orange Pi One board for Christmas. I have connected it appropriately (5V 2A power supply, HDMI video, keyboard, no network), I have flashed an SD card with this image (Armbian_5.14_Orangepione_Debian_jessie_3.4.112_desktop.raw), and it fails to boot (or at least fails to send anything to video).

When I power it on here is what happens:

First, the Ethernet lights both light up.
Then, the small green light (D7) on the board turns on solid.
Then the Ethernet lights blink a bit and turn off.
Then the small green light blinks. It does a pattern with two short blinks, then a pause, then two short blinks and a pause. After a minute or two, the light goes solid again.
Through this whole time nothing appears on the screen.

I have checked the cable and monitor using a Raspberry Pi unit and they are functioning fine.

Any suggestions for troubleshooting?

threads

credits

credits
Published in 2017-1-4 13:38:04 | Show all floors
What kind of monitor do you use  and can you attach a serial console?

threads

credits

Forum patriarch

credits
Published in 2017-1-4 18:42:16 | Show all floors
Edited by Tina at 2017-1-4 18:43

Have in mind that there many power supplies (PSU) out there which are rated 5V2A, but cannot hold the voltage stable.
I have here 5 PSUs rated above 5V2A and only one does work with the OPI (5V8A 6USB sockets); other report that PSP PSUs do work.
To test if your PSU holds the voltage stable:
connect the OPI with the PSU and measure at the 5V rail -> GPIO pin 2 or 4 = 5V and pin 6 is ground. If it drops below 5V you have a bad PSU.

Another common issue is that the sdcard is flashed incorrectly.
Best is to format it first (I use SDFormatter) and then to follow the exact instructions of the creator of the image to burn it. Some images cannot be burned with pheonix and others not with Etcher.

Let me know how you get along ;)
Please click on reply when answering direct to me. That way I get a notification ;)

"Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety."
                                  Benjamin Franklin 1755

threads

credits

Novice

credits
 Author| Published in 2017-1-5 00:08:46 | Show all floors
igorpec replied at 2017-1-4 13:38
What kind of monitor do you use  and can you attach a serial console?

It's a Samsung monitor with VGA and DVI inputs. I am using a cable that has HDMI on one end and DVI on the other. The monitor seems to know it is plugged in to something, but receives no signal. I say this because when I unplug the monitor it reports that it is not connected to anything. But when I power on the Orange Pi One device, the monitor shows nothing. I can unplug the monitor from my OrangePi and plug it in to a Raspberry Pi board, and it immediately and instantly shows full video. This makes me think the problem is not with the video cable or monitor, but I obviously don't know.

I don't know how to attach a serial console, or even what that is, sorry. But thanks for your help.

threads

credits

Novice

credits
 Author| Published in 2017-1-5 00:10:27 | Show all floors
Tina replied at 2017-1-4 18:42
Have in mind that there many power supplies (PSU) out there which are rated 5V2A, but cannot hold th ...

Thanks for your help. I will measure the voltage. I will try re-flashing the image in a different way. I was using Etcher. I can use dd under Mac OS X as an alternative.

How important is the Class 10 rating on the SD card? I don't think my cards are Class 10. I would think it would still work, but just be slower. Do you know?

Thanks for your help, Walt

threads

credits

credits
Published in 2017-1-5 00:17:12 | Show all floors
How important is the Class 10 rating on the SD card? I don't think my cards are Class 10. I would think it would still work, but just be slower. Do you know?

https://forum.armbian.com/index. ... d-card-performance/
You need to log in before you can reply login | Register

Points Rule

Quick reply Top Return list