two Orange Pi PC 2's, zero luck

[Copy link]

threads

credits

Novice

credits
Published in 2017-1-11 02:26:16 | Show all floors |Read mode
Edited by rpural at 2017-1-11 03:00

I purchased two Orange Pi PC 2 v 1.1 and power cords. The power cords finally arrived this weekend, but neither Orange Pi appears to power up. There are no LEDs that I can see on the boards, and they don't ever display anything on the screen. I tried them with SD cards I've used for the Raspberry Pi, so as long as they are supposed to be compatible with the Rasp-Pi, the cards don't appear to be the problem.

When I plug them in, what should be displayed on the monitor, or how can I tell if they are really getting power? Or, did I just waste $60?

-----

And, an update: I downloaded the Ubuntu XFCE image from the Orange Pi PC 2 download list, expanded it, wrote it to an SD card and tried that. Now I get a yellow and a red LED for just a moment, and then just the red LED. Never get anything on the monitor.

Also, the Ubuntu XFCE image seems to be the only one on the download page that is backed by any sort of media (at least on the Google Drive side; I don't read Chinese, so I can't vouch for the other side). All the other "links" are to "Javascript(void)".

Any guidance would be appreciated.

threads

credits

Forum patriarch

credits
Published in 2017-1-11 14:40:40 | Show all floors
Edited by Tina at 2017-1-11 14:41

Hi,

Please check first the Voltage at the 5V rail: check between pin 2 or 4 (5V) and pin 6 (ground) of the GPIO header. If your voltage drops below 5V you have to use a different power supply. Most phone power supplies for USB do not hold a stable 5V output, even if they are rated 5V2A. I use a 5V8A power supply and it has a voltage of 5.18V with my Orange PI PC. Other people reported that a PSP power supply works for them.

What happens is that if the voltage drops too far below the 5V, somehow the OrangePI gets stuck when the HDMI video output gets called in the boot sequence.
Please click on reply when answering direct to me. That way I get a notification ;)

"Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety."
                                  Benjamin Franklin 1755

threads

credits

Administrator

credits
Published in 2017-1-14 14:05:06 | Show all floors
Hi friend, yes, like Tina said, check the power supply first. If the power supply is ok, then try to make the image into SD card to try again. It will be better to have a SD card with more than 8GB 10Class.

threads

credits

Novice

credits
Published in 2017-1-14 22:33:39 from mobile | Show all floors
hi. no led link while you not use normal micro SD with normal ISO. power supply is working.

threads

credits

Forum patriarch

credits
Published in 2017-1-17 13:46:10 | Show all floors
pipc2 replied at 2017-1-14 22:33
hi. no led link while you not use normal micro SD with normal ISO. power supply is working.

Hi pipc2,
1. What is the voltage at the 5V rail?
2. What image did you use ad how did you burn it to the µSD card?

Please click on reply when answering direct to me. That way I get a notification ;)

"Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety."
                                  Benjamin Franklin 1755

threads

credits

Novice

credits
Published in 2017-1-21 12:21:39 | Show all floors
Mine was working, now it still lights red then green then red and just sits there.  Its a new OPI 2 plus 49 hrs old.  Very unimpressed with quality of these devices, ditto all the builds they are full of problems compared to relatively stable RPi images.    OPi really needs to clean up its web site, QA all its content, make sure all image builds are certified and write documentation for every product that is complete.  What is the procedure to force a full restore to default?  And how do we put image on EEM instead of SD card.

Again buyer beware, very risky product to buy.  Never have had a RPi failure of any kind over 30+ units, ditto BBB.  

threads

credits

Forum patriarch

credits
Published in 2017-1-21 14:29:08 | Show all floors
Edited by Tina at 2017-1-21 22:10
jbirdlebough replied at 2017-1-21 12:21
Mine was working, now it still lights red then green then red and just sits there.  Its a new OPI 2  ...

1. Did you check the voltage at the 5V rail? If under 5V replace the power supply with one which can supply a stable 5V output.
2. If thats OK, do you get anything at the UART port?

Benjamin Franklin 1755

threads

credits

Novice

credits
Published in 2017-2-26 01:33:55 | Show all floors
hey guys . i suffered same problem . i just corrected my power supply and then i first installed android . but it didn't run properly only shown Allwinner boot animation. but then i installed Ubuntu and it worked fine.
things are that sometimes while burning onto SD card some boot files get skipped if burns with incompatible flashing software.
so better use the flashing software as prescribed by the OS developer.

threads

credits

Intermediate member

credits
Published in 2017-3-1 18:28:49 | Show all floors
try running the armbian nightly

threads

credits

Novice

credits
Published in 2017-3-31 19:20:27 | Show all floors
Same problem as you and Steve Zao = bot on Aliexpress - only reply - send video, try another card, try another power supply etc etc. Very *hit product
You need to log in before you can reply login | Register

Points Rule

Quick reply Top Return list