View: 9217|Reply: 10

Orange Pi Plus 2E - Software Support.

[Copy link]

threads

credits

Novice

credits
Published in 2017-2-7 20:46:55 | Show all floors |Read mode
Hello, I brought two Orange Pi Plus 2E from aliexpress, and i wish to use them as Media Centre on my TV.

I am also an ubuntu user on my pc since 2007. I'm confortible with linux enviroment, but I am new to ARM systems so I got tons of questions.

First, I wish to install Ubuntu Mate on my orange pi. And wireless and full hd video support should work well. Android 5 or 6 would be nice too, but as far as I understand, latest versions of the android did not adopted yet.

My problem is, I am having trouble to find relevant information on the forums. Also downloads page of the orangepi is not maintained.

For instance no Ubuntu Mate link on downloads page for Orange Pi Plus 2E.
Also, Lubuntu_1404_For_OrangePi_Plus2E_v0_8_0.img.xz link is broken in both baidu and google drive. I've tried a lot of images from this page, but most of them was incomplete. Some of them didn't run wifi, some of them didn't use hardware video decoder etc.

I searched a lot in forums and I've found some relevant image files.
Now I'm using: Armbian_5.25_Orangepiplus2e_Ubuntu_xenial_default_3.4.113_desktop.img
This works too slow on desktop, a little unresponsive. (4-5 seconds to open firefox for instance). Wifi, usb and video decoding works. (Full screen videos works, It wasn't working on other images, but ubuntu mate was slightly faster)
But there are some bugs in video decoding. I've tried a video with an AVI file with MPEG-4, 24FPS, AC3 sound, 48000samp, 384kbps 720p video. VLC couldn't open it, and default armbian player opened it as unwatchable and glitchy. But sound was ok. It's working very good in software rendering mode, but when in full screen it just starting to freeze.

Here's the Ubuntu Mate versions that I tried:
OrangePI-PC_Ubuntu_Vivid_Mate.img
OrangePI_Ubuntu_Vivid_Mate.img

Found them from this forums, both has different sizes, but they are not for my orange pi model obviously, because both wifi and video decoder does not work.

I wish to use Ubuntu Mate
How should I proceed? Where can I find ubuntu mate modified to run with my orange pi model?

Thank you all.

threads

credits

credits
Published in 2017-2-8 07:02:01 | Show all floors
Edited by igorpec at 2017-2-8 00:07

Video decoding must work fine in Armbian Ubuntu Xenial, but only with mpv player, the rest (VLC for example) you need to recompile with hw acceleration support. But first check if you are facing this bug:
https://forum.armbian.com/index. ... lay-error-on-opi2e/

And those are codec limitations:
http://linux-sunxi.org/Cedrus

Remember that this is not a desktop PC - you are loading Firefox from SD card and it can't load slower than on any other system for Orange (do measurement). Firefox is a large app and there is nothing we can do about ... if you seek some simple web browser, check Midori.

Armbian is fully optimised and has much newer (1 year and more) plus lot's of fixes to kernel and system then other images. Of course, there is still room for improvement but we do have active developement and support.
I wish to use Ubuntu Mate
Well. You can do a generic upgrade from CLI but the problem will be with video acceleration.

threads

credits

Novice

credits
Published in 2017-2-9 23:51:46 | Show all floors
I wish i could use Ubuntu Mate aswell... Or at least install the "mate enviroment" on armbian...

The only image which was fully functional to my OPI Plus 2e was the armbian... Others had problems like some usb ports not working, no hw acceleration, no internet, etc...

threads

credits

credits
Published in 2017-2-10 01:43:07 | Show all floors
Edited by igorpec at 2017-2-9 18:46
I wish i could use Ubuntu Mate aswell... Or at least install the "mate enviroment" on armbian...

The only image which was fully functional to my OPI Plus 2e was the armbian... Others had problems like some usb ports not working, no hw acceleration, no internet, etc...

Our OS is the only one with active support and we hardly focus on things that matters most. There is a lot of work behind, that you can use those boards at (all) this level. Most things works fine, but unfortunately we are a small team and can't put resources to provide more desktop options ATM. Currently we provide one desktop - XFCE4 and that one works fine. It's similar and lightweight as Mate, maybe just not that famous. Perhaps in the future and / or with your help.

threads

credits

Novice

credits
 Author| Published in 2017-2-10 17:26:55 | Show all floors
Thank you all for your answers

threads

credits

Novice

credits
 Author| Published in 2017-2-17 01:26:15 | Show all floors
I've tested this device a little more too. I've decided it's not usable for me. I was planning to use it for my home media centre, but it fails to display full screen youtube videos (Hardware acceleration problem I guess).

It's native MPV player does not playing some of the most common video codecs. And it has subtitle support, but there is no CHARACTER ENCODING setting.

Device is totally useless to me unfortunately.

It might be a good webserver or fileserver perhaps.

I'll try to sell it, and I'll just use an old i5 laptop.

Thank you all guys.

threads

credits

Novice

credits
Published in 2022-4-29 14:20:41 | Show all floors
Knowledge4Sur offers you a one of a kind chance to encounter the genuine MuleSoft Certified Integration Architect - Level 1 test situation. The Testing Engine gives you various test like MuleSoft MCIA-Level-1 Practice Tests, including generally the inquiries taken from the old papers of MuleSoft MCIA-Level-1 affirmation test. By settling these tests you not just know the configuration of the real MuleSoft Certified Architect MCIA-Level-1 test questions yet in addition become familiar with your shortcomings. Along these lines, you can without much of a stretch further develop your MuleSoft Certified Architect learning and light up your odds of coming out on top.

threads

credits

Registered member

credits
Published in 2022-5-16 21:31:29 | Show all floors
Thanks for picking out the time to discuss this, I feel great about it and love studying more on this topic. It is extremely helpful for me. Thanks for such a valuable help again.        jackpot338

threads

credits

Registered member

credits
Published in 2023-8-7 22:55:17 | Show all floors
The Orange Pi Plus 2E offers robust software support, making it a versatile and user-friendly single-board computer. With its powerful Quad-core Cortex-A7 processor and various connectivity options, the device caters to diverse projects. For enhanced gaming experiences, users can explore the extensive software library available at https://daman-games.com/. Whether you're a hobbyist or a professional, the Orange Pi Plus 2E provides ample resources and flexibility to suit your needs.

threads

credits

credits
Published in 2023-8-10 23:39:05 | Show all floors
What I enjoyed best about this website, flask vs django, is the excellent service they give. There are no drawbacks!
You need to log in before you can reply login | Register

Points Rule

Quick reply Top Return list