Please select To the mobile version | Continue to access the desktop computer version

OrangePi

Login            
 Register            
Search
Hot search: orangepi
View: 49508|Reply: 83

LibreELEC 7 prebuilt images

[Copy link]

Threads

Credits

Gold member

Credits
Post time 2017-3-14 03:04:23 | Show all posts |Read mode
Edited by JRios at 2017-8-16 19:11

Hi,

First, thanks to @jernej for his work in OpenELEC.

Here, I just want to share the images that I have built from @thc013 LibreELEC sources (thanks, @thc013), because I know there is people that does not know how to build It.

It is LibreELEC-7, with Kodi-16.1 (Jarvis), and exactly same features of OpenELEC images.

Notes:

- In functionality, the only differences between these LibreELEC images and the OpenELEC ones, are the rtl8188 Wi-Fi driver inclusion and the completly shutdown (instead suspend) behaviour when Kodi shutdown button is pressed. Kodi and the others stuff are just the sames that OpenELEC images has.

- These LibreELEC-7 images, with Kodi 16.1, uses Legacy Kernel and @jernej H3 patches, so It have hardware accelerated video decoding, just like the OpenELEC ones.

- Kodi 17 (LibreELEC-8/OpenELEC-8) does not support HW decoding with @jernej patches (It is necessary to create/rewrite Kodi H3 support patch).

- Unfortunately, I don't have time to give any software support, neither updates, I just wanted to share these images that fits perfectly for my use. So, these images will not be updated, at least from me.

- If anyone want to work with It and make changes, upgrades, etc. Here is the repository of LibreELEC with H3 support sources:
https://github.com/Shaggy013/LibreELEC_OPI

- Enjoy It

Threads

Credits

Registered member

Credits
Post time 2017-9-19 16:54:42 From the mobile phone | Show all posts
Anybody made pvr addon working?

Threads

Credits

Novice

Credits
Post time 2017-3-21 19:00:56 | Show all posts
Thanks for reply.  Orange Pi PC2 is unusable piece of...
No librelec, no openelec, no sound through hdmi on armbian or other distros... I'm mostly disappointed with this device :-(

Threads

Credits

Registered member

Credits
Post time 2017-3-17 04:06:51 | Show all posts
I can`t connect to libreelec repo

Threads

Credits

Novice

Credits
Post time 2017-3-21 01:30:22 | Show all posts
Which build is suitable for Orange Pi PC2?

Threads

Credits

Credits
Post time 2017-3-21 01:35:39 | Show all posts
None, it uses different SoC.

Threads

Credits

Credits
Post time 2017-3-22 01:43:07 | Show all posts
mpca86 replied at 2017-3-21 12:00
Thanks for reply.  Orange Pi PC2 is unusable piece of...
No librelec, no openelec, no sound through  ...

Actually, it is already very useful, except for tasks you listed... H3 boards are cheap enough to buy one just for that.

I actually considered porting OpenELEC to H5, but I changed my mind, because I don't want to work with BSP kernels anymore. One for H3 was bad enough and one for H5 has few additional annoyances which are big PITA. So I stopped developing OpenELEC and started to work on mainline A64/H3/H5 HDMI driver, which will also support audio. If you have knowledge, there are some patches for H3 HDMI, which can be adopted for H5 too, but they won't be merged. I will probably continue with LibreELEC once good enough drivers exist for mainline. But this is at least few months away. Although I'm not completely familiar with OrangePi story, from what I heard, H3 boards also weren't fully supported in the first year or so. Latest tech usually is not the best buy, if you just want to use it without many troubles.

Threads

Credits

Registered member

Credits
Post time 2017-3-26 09:45:50 | Show all posts
jernej replied at 2017-3-22 01:43
Actually, it is already very useful, except for tasks you listed... H3 boards are cheap enough to  ...

You said I don't want to work with BSP kernels anymore

If you don't  mind could you explain the differences.

What is a BSP Kernel?

Whata is a legacy and mainline Kernel?

Threads

Credits

Credits
Post time 2017-3-26 17:51:10 | Show all posts
I said I don't want to work with legacy (same as BSP) kernel. You can of course use if you want

Legacy or BSP kernel is kernel provided by Allwinner in board support package (BSP). It is version 3.4. Mainline kernel is official kernel provided by Linux foundation and it is same for all platforms. Currently stable version is at 4.10.

There is big difference between them. Allwinner changes one kernel version just enough to support (almost) all features provided by a target chip. Curently, Allwinner never tried to merge this support to mainline kernel, which means that their kernel will always be at version 3.4. Because of that fact, they are also free to deviate from best kernel practices and their drivers are often not of the best quality. This caused some issues which are not easy to solve. Common examples of that would be only few predefined HDMI resolutions, suspend bug if there is device attached to USB hub and even 100% swap issue at earlier version.

Fortunatelly,  there is big community around Allwinner chips. Community or sometimes companies tries to add mainline support for most if not all Allwinner chips. This is done by completely rewriting or sometimes by cleaning up BSP drivers. This is slow process but eventually most of the features are supported.

H3 mainline support is already pretty well. Together with some not yet merged patches it is already useful, except for anything related to graphics and multimedia. Because of that, my focus switched to HDMI and TV out. Currently I understand them good enough to write proper Linux driver. My U-Boot patches to support HDMI will soon be merged. Hopefully, this driver will also solve most of the tearing issues.

So I dropped development of OpenELEC to help advance mainline kernel to the point, which will make OpenELEC/LibreELEC better. At first, some features will be sacrificed, like suspend, but others, like full DVB support, full range of HDMI resolutions and even less (or hopefully no) tearing will be supported.

Threads

Credits

Registered member

Credits
Post time 2017-3-27 12:53:40 | Show all posts
Thanks Jernej, as always a well thought out answer.

"my focus switched to HDMI and TV out."

Does this mean that the h3 and H5 mainline kernel will have a better HDMI driver?
Will the better H3 HDMI driver be able to do things like 10 bit HEVC out?

Threads

Credits

Registered member

Credits
Post time 2017-3-27 12:54:02 | Show all posts
Thanks Jernej, as always a well thought out answer.

"my focus switched to HDMI and TV out."

Does this mean that the h3 and H5 mainline kernel will have a better HDMI driver?
Will the better H3 HDMI driver be able to do things like 10 bit HEVC out?
You have to log in before you can reply Login | Register

Points Rules

Archiver|Mobile edition|Darkroom|OrangePi En ( 粤ICP备14086627号-2

2019-8-24 18:14 GMT+8 , Processed in 0.034732 second(s), 24 queries .