How to set up Orange Pi Win?

[Copy link]

threads

credits

Novice

credits
Published in 2017-7-4 04:49:10 | Show all floors |Read mode
Hello,
I got my Opi Win like a month ago but i couldn't make it work properly. The official images posted on orangepi.org (ubuntu) do not work, i am unable to initialize wifi or bluetooth. Using ssh only, no GUI.
I haven't tried the GPIOs until now.

I tried the unstable armbian for this model, i could use wifi but no bluetooth or lirc.
Also, the samba network speed on armbian was almost double than using samba on similar setup under official ubuntu OPI OS.

Is there anyone here who managed to make this board work or it's just a piece of junk?

I'm such an idiot, each time I buy a crappy chinese product I say to myself it's the last time I do it... but then it happens again...

All the best from Romania,

Ion Muie Iliescu.

threads

credits

credits
Published in 2017-7-5 12:52:37 | Show all floors
Edited by igorpec at 2017-7-5 05:58

It's little more complicated.

Linux is community project and there is no board maker on the planet, which could solo allocate resources to provide support, which you might expect to get. Even RPi is fully dependent from community, which is way way larger. Even their hardware is plain simple but still, community needed years to get their Linux matured and stable.

Allwinner boards community is much smaller, but it provide decent support: linux-sunxi.org/Linux_mainlining_effort You can see how far is boards (chip) supported with mainline kernel. That's what is Linux world interested in, while board maker usually only provide Android with some old kernel.

The main problem is that all board makers - it become standard - create false expectations - stating that all prominent Linux operating systems are working on their hardware ... which is only half true. They glue prehistoric, usually unfinished / buggy, Android kernel with - you name - Linux user space ... End result just looks like, but does not function as you might expect.

This board - you can try board maker images or wait months for proper Linux. For some cases Armbian server version, with proper Linux, is already usable ...

threads

credits

credits
Published in 2017-7-4 15:29:30 | Show all floors
Edited by igorpec at 2017-7-4 08:36

https://www.armbian.com/orange-pi-win/

Images works, but kernel, which we use, is still under development ... there are no better images.
Perhaps stock 3.10.107 kernel, which has better support and it's working fine on some other A64 boards, might be adjusted once?

The main problem (bad luck) is that you bought one of the latest product, which is usually not very well supported yet ... while older (H3) boards are just fine.

threads

credits

Novice

credits
 Author| Published in 2017-7-5 03:55:14 | Show all floors
Edited by keffr3n at 2017-7-5 23:29

Hey... I tested armbian already, it's buggy, but I espected their official software to be usable.

So they released the board without proper software? I never heard of such disrespect for clients...
If they will drop support for this board I'l end up with a 30 bucks coffee cup holder??

threads

credits

Novice

credits
 Author| Published in 2017-7-5 23:34:33 | Show all floors
Edited by keffr3n at 2017-7-5 23:36

From my point of view, it's not the comunity's job to make a commercial product usable.

They should release a OS version that enables me, as a client, to fully use the board that I bought because of the features they advertised: WIFI, BLUETOOTH, IR, GPIOS.

If they weren't chinese, I woud sue their asses to the Moon and back.
But they are chinese and i don't know who to sue, they are like 2 billion of them and all look the same.

threads

credits

Novice

credits
 Author| Published in 2017-7-5 23:38:49 | Show all floors
@igorpec i see you know this world better than I do.
I'm gonna sell this Orange Pi rubbish on ebay, can you give me some advice, what board should I get that is usable? Banana Pi? Tinker Board?

threads

credits

credits
Published in 2017-7-6 03:39:21 | Show all floors
I'm gonna sell this Orange Pi rubbish on ebay, can you give me some advice, what board should I get that is usable? Banana Pi? Tinker Board?

Whatever you see here:
https://www.armbian.com/download/

but make sure you read everything about your chosen one. Each board suits their purpose, have their problems and there is no perfect one ... if you choose to stick to Oranges, PC+ gives best bang for bucks.

threads

credits

Novice

credits
Published in 2022-4-21 22:18:31 | Show all floors
The Organe Pi win runs on android versions and it is an open-source single-board. It uses all winner SoC new versions and http://ipsnews.net/business/2022/01/13/the-relation-between-covid-19-and-air-pollution/  and you can run on Windows IoT. It is the best approach for those who want to create new technology because it is a simply a fun and useful tool.
You need to log in before you can reply login | Register

Points Rule

Quick reply Top Return list