RealVNC on OPi/Armbian

[Copy link]

threads

credits

Novice

credits
Published in 2017-8-9 02:01:19 | Show all floors |Read mode
Hello all,
I use RealVNC on my Raspberry Pi's and rely on the cloud function. Has anyone successfully run RealVNC on OPi?

I have the current version of Armbian running on eMMC on a brand new OPi Plus 2E. After installing the RealVNC package for Debian ARM devices, I try to start the VNC server, and get an error that 'libbcm_host.so' could not be found. Any thoughts?

threads

credits

credits
Published in 2017-8-9 02:56:12 | Show all floors
If you are OK with RDP, then
  1. apt-get install xrdp vnc4server
Copy code
is all you need to do. Tested.

threads

credits

Novice

credits
 Author| Published in 2017-8-9 22:47:17 | Show all floors
Thanks. I have run a couple of other VNCs, but like I said, the cloud function of RealVNC is important to me for several reasons. I have a feeling it's just a matter of adding a library (I think libbcm_host.so is an RPi Raspbian file?), but I don't know. Figured I would ask to see if anyone had already figured this out.

threads

credits

Novice

credits
 Author| Published in 2017-8-9 23:16:02 | Show all floors
I contacted RealVNC, and of course they aren't willing to do anything, since this doesn't fall strictly under Debian or RPi.

Which is funny, because they already have distros for both.

I'm sure somebody has already figured this out.

threads

credits

Registered member

credits
Published in 2018-3-3 05:01:50 | Show all floors
I use Vino instead which doesn't make a virtual desktop but instead remotely controls the real desktop. Similar to how Windows Remote Desktop works. No audio is transferred, though.

threads

credits

Registered member

credits
Published in 2018-3-4 00:26:33 | Show all floors
If you want to use RealVNC, and it is essential for you.  Then you have to use Raspberry PI.  The Raspberry PI RealVNC source code is not published as far as I can find. Here is libbcm_host.so:
https://github.com/raspberrypi/firmware/tree/master/opt/vc/lib
And maybe it's source code is here:
https://github.com/raspberrypi/u ... bcm_host/bcm_host.c

And if that IS its source code, then it is clear RealVNC do not want you running their app on anything but a raspberry pi, because I highly doubt any of those functions are essential or don't have a standard kernel equivalent.

There is a thread about people trying to do it on tinkerboard.  they have the exact same problem.
https://tinkerboarding.co.uk/for ... t-3037.html#pid3037

Sorry, but the fact it wont run is RealVNCs fault for deliberately using non standard libraries and there is not much anyone else can realistically do about it.

threads

credits

Novice

credits
Published in 2018-3-20 04:03:45 | Show all floors
Just use x11vnc and noVNC - it uses websockify and is accessible with an html5 browser.

threads

credits

Novice

credits
Published in 2018-4-4 15:22:48 | Show all floors
DietPI is said to use RealVNC server... but when I install DietPi software in my OPi, no real vnc server option is there.. So, I guess there might be a way ? but I don't know how to make it...

threads

credits

Novice

credits
Published in 2022-10-9 15:45:21 from mobile | Show all floors
Finchamp.... long time.... were u able to reach anything concerning VNC?
You need to log in before you can reply login | Register

Points Rule

Quick reply Top Return list