Looking to buy a new Orange Pi device and need advice

[Copy link]

threads

credits

Novice

credits
Published in 2017-9-18 22:36:44 | Show all floors |Read mode
Hi people.

I already own one Orange Pi Lite and it doesn't satisfy my needs. It's pretty slow and has problems when playing HD video. So I'm looking to buy a new one and I want to buy the best there is.

If I've done my research well, it's Orange Pi Prime, correct? It has H5 processor and Mali450 GPU which should be the best configuration Orange Pi has to offer.

Also, I haven't found any cases for Prime. I've ordered my Lite from Aliexpress and I can't seem to find any cases for Prime there. Are there some third party cases yet?

threads

credits

Registered member

credits
Published in 2017-9-19 16:52:12 from mobile | Show all floors
Im using OPi One with libreelec 7 and no problems. All videos plays smoothly

threads

credits

Registered member

credits
Published in 2017-9-19 17:29:44 | Show all floors
Allwinner H3 can play 1080p no problem (even my old A20 w/ Mali MP400 could handle that), but there are a few things to keep in mind:
1) Make sure you have a distro with hardware acceleration
2) MP400 struggles with high-bitrate h.264 and stutters with high-compression HEVC (just my observation on several platforms, including those not from Xunlong)
3) If you still want a better board, get something w/ Allwinner H5, like OPi PC2 or OPi Prime.

threads

credits

credits
Published in 2017-9-19 20:56:03 | Show all floors
The best board from Xunlong is Orange Pi Plus 2e. It have the best hardware futures for the price and the best software support (like any other H3). Nothing with A64/H5 is good choice for now. Very poor software support, much worst even than H3. No OpenElec with h/w video acceleration, no h/w video acceleration and 3D Mali support in Linux. Maybe some Android will work, but instead of that, this boards are unuseful for any multimedia and desktop purposes. I am not sure if this chipsets will ever reach some descent software support (it depends on manufacturer - AllWinner to provide some open sources, or at least sources will proper licensing, witch means - it will probably not going to happen), in some reasonable time, before getting even more older and unuseful even with this support. Or are already born dead. Better stick with H3 for now, or some other chipset maker, like Rockchip.

threads

credits

Novice

credits
 Author| Published in 2017-9-19 21:02:31 | Show all floors
Well, I didn't have problems when I played a movie from a flash drive, but I did get freezes and stutters when I tried playing/streaming video from the internet. Even browsing the web would sometimes completely freeze my device. So if this is the best Orange Pi has to offer, I'm severely dissapointed.

threads

credits

Registered member

credits
Published in 2017-9-20 01:04:00 | Show all floors
Shred replied at 2017-9-19 21:02
Well, I didn't have problems when I played a movie from a flash drive, but I did get freezes and stu ...

That's the problem. When watching videos in browser, you have no GPU acceleration. Plus, if you are using WiFi, then add sluggish and low-bandwidth connection on top of it.
Also, 512MB of RAM is not enough for running a desktop OS and buffering 1080p video in firefox or chromium. You'll need at least 1GB RAM with lightweight distro for online 1080p video playback.

You need to log in before you can reply login | Register

Points Rule

Quick reply Top Return list