threads

credits

Gold member

credits
Published in 2015-6-6 22:25:19 | Show all floors |Read mode
Hi~~
Do you have plan to add emmc on OPI 2?
OPI plus sata port is useless.
It's too slow and slower then usb external hdd.

OPI Plus is a waste of money!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

threads

credits

Novice

credits
Published in 2015-6-9 11:15:53 | Show all floors
I agree with you.
Not only what you said but also:
Can not flash eMMC
Can not Remote Desktop
Can not use DVI monitor
I guess if your modern Chinese you have no pride, but know how to write specs

threads

credits

Registered member

credits
Published in 2015-6-15 20:40:53 | Show all floors
"OPI plus sata port is useless."
Just because Orange Pi sata is very slow doesn't mean it's worthless.
I tried backing up a SATA drive to a USB external drive using only the OrangePi(and a remote desktop to set it up), and it worked, but was very slow compared to backing it up using a 'live disk' on my computer.

"Can not flash eMMC"
Maybe you can with the USB otg port? http://www.orangepi.org/orangepi ... ewthread&tid=60

"Can not Remote Desktop"
Remote desktop is working for my OPP using Raspbian OS, and tightVNC, ssh works too.

Published in 2015-6-15 21:42:52 | Show all floors
I have finished burning image to Emmc flash. I will upload it in two days. Sorry.
Published in 2015-6-15 21:48:56 | Show all floors
You  can disable sata for orange pi plus.

threads

credits

credits
Published in 2015-6-22 01:54:25 | Show all floors
Hi,

zhao_steven, you promise promise and promise, old images are still in download area, dated 06.06.15 but there are old, you said 3 days a week ago - emmc is not usable - opiPLUS I have since month and I do nothing because of system - SD card is stupid idea for a live system. When we can expect that you will upload new images ???

threads

credits

credits
Published in 2015-6-22 05:03:54 | Show all floors
roblad replied at 2015-6-22 01:54
Hi,

zhao_steven, you promise promise and promise, old images are still in download area, dated 06.0 ...

Hi,
I disagree that using an SD card for a live system is worse than eMMC.  At least you can replace the SD card when it breaks  whereas once the flash ram dies you are snookered.  Besides, I think any sensible 'live' system should probably boot from flash (SD or eMMC) and run from HDD.  So, if eMMC is all that is holding you up why not just run from SD card and HDD and forget the eMMC.

I've given up on my OPi+ for the moment because the old OPi (A20 Soc) and board seem better than the new H3.  The A20 runs cooler, has a proper RTC, and there are good 3.4 kernels for it.  Support for the H3 is very sparse.  So I'm sticking with the tried and true for the moment.

Cheers,
Steven

threads

credits

credits
Published in 2015-6-22 05:55:45 | Show all floors
Hi,

The core can be in emmc , but haw to set it up to use hdd or emmc, right now there is nothing avaliable as in RPi2 , the config file does not exist for orangepi plus H3, I already have that board and I plan to use for OpenHab  - home automation, I can use HDD for come filesystems but I would like to have core dirs in emmc and boot from there. Right now I fill as I lost a money with OPI+ , emmc can day after some period of time, but SD card will day faster, I already scrap 3 SD cards on my RPi and I use HDD (USB) where my filesystem is located in, only boot I have on SD. For static files in the system as lib bin etc. I would like to use emmc and rest dynamic dirs I plan to store in some ssd disk or HDD sata - but SATA also is not usable in OPI+ wrrrrrr!!!

threads

credits

credits
Published in 2015-6-22 06:23:47 | Show all floors
Edited by phelum at 2015-6-22 06:40

I see what you mean - for a system like home automation it is better not to have a disk spinning all the time (or spinning up/down which wears out the drive).  I'm lucky so far because none of the SD cards in my RPis have died yet.  Do 'good' cards last longer than cheap ones ?

Steven Zhao's problem here (I think) is that the H3 needs a newer kernel and there is no suitable eMMC driver for this kernel.  Same goes for mainline kernels for the A20 whick is why I stick with 3.4.103 on my CubieTrucks and OPi.  So I think we're all stuck in a bind until this mess gets sorted.  This is why I suggested you stick with the SD card approach for the moment.

Cheers,
Steven

threads

credits

credits
Published in 2015-6-22 06:34:50 | Show all floors
Hi,

I see that mash that happens with H3 - there was bad idea to spend a board H3 without system, nobody will get it in some time because of that.
We will see and can only wait for main line kernel - I do not know why the designer of H3 did not help with that mainline kernel, only android is usable for emmc and SATA.

Rgds,
You need to log in before you can reply login | Register

Points Rule

Quick reply Top Return list