Linux Distributions for Orange PI H3 boards

[Copy link]

threads

credits

Gold member

credits
Published in 2016-3-7 02:01:44 | Show all floors
melanrz replied at 2016-3-6 19:19
boot geting 5min,mali driver working slow (50fps on glxgeras,other distros 150-200fps),cant get wi ...

As for broken WiFi -- yeah, I just tested it. It seems the Ubuntu 14.04-based images are broken in more ways than one and I just complained to Igor about it; future desktop - builds will probably use either Jessie or Ubuntu 16.04 as the base.

As for glxgears: it isn't meant for testing GLES -- Orange Pi's don't do full OpenGL, only GLES. Use es2gears instead. Only desktop-images have mali-libraries, though, and until Igor manages to make new desktop-images 3D-acceleration only works for root..Again, this is something that'll be fixed in new builds of the images, though. I just built a custom Armbian-image based on Jessie, with desktop, where GLES-acceleration works and VDPAU works. I also included a custom build of mpv that uses VDPAU for decoding of H.264 and HEVC by default, if one wishes to try playing video. The image can be found here: https://dl.dropboxusercontent.co ... 3.4.110_desktop.zip -- it should tide people over until Igor gets around to providing official updated images.

I have no idea how you can get 5min boot, though. Sounds like fucking bullshit to me -- even a hideously slow SD-card wouldn't be that slow.

threads

credits

Registered member

credits
Published in 2016-3-7 03:58:44 | Show all floors
I really second that. Armbian is the best distro I've tried so far (Loboris one is great, of course, but Armbian is better IMHO). The only thing is that I couldn't manage to play 1080p videos on it, just 720p, and sometimes with audio desync. If you're telling me that you solved that I'm going to try it right now, and more since it is based on Jessie. For me, Debian + XFCE is best.

Thank you!

threads

credits

Gold member

credits
Published in 2016-3-7 04:11:59 | Show all floors
nobitakun replied at 2016-3-7 03:58
I really second that. Armbian is the best distro I've tried so far (Loboris one is great, of course, ...

I have no idea about audio, I haven't bothered trying, and if there are problems with audio then it's nothing I can fix. Decoding of H.264 and HEVC works at 1080p, though, if you're using mpv. The only other player I tried is VLC and it doesn't support decoding of HEVC using VDPAU.

threads

credits

Registered member

credits
Published in 2016-3-7 05:52:54 | Show all floors
It worked like a charm. I've been trying some 720p videos and they now play flawlessly, as well as 1080p ones. The problem now is that I don't get audio with mpv, and I can't really find any advanced options for subtitles or audio tracks. In the other hand, I installed SMPlayer and it works great too, despite it consumes a little more CPU than mvp it plays all the videos perfectly, but I only get audio tracks, not subtitle tracks. Is it something related with vdpau? because I know those videos have working subtitles, since I can play them on my desk computer with no issues at all.

Thank you for this release, I hope they upgrade Armbian officially with these changes and many others.

threads

credits

Gold member

credits
Published in 2016-3-7 08:19:16 | Show all floors
nobitakun replied at 2016-3-7 05:52
It worked like a charm. I've been trying some 720p videos and they now play flawlessly, as well as 1 ...

I'll take another look at the mpv-package, maybe I have messed something up. It's all a work-in-progress and I'm doing what I can -- I do appreciate the feedback, though!

threads

credits

Gold member

credits
Published in 2016-3-7 09:15:30 | Show all floors
nobitakun replied at 2016-3-7 05:52
It worked like a charm. I've been trying some 720p videos and they now play flawlessly, as well as 1 ...

I don't know what your problem with audio is, but it works fine for me. You didn't specify if you were trying to use analog audio or HDMI, but the image by default uses the analog audio (Maybe we should change the default to HDMI for desktop-images, I'm not sure?) You can make mpv use HDMI-output by default by adding the following line to /etc/mpv/mpv.conf (you need to be root to edit the file)
audio-device=alsa/default:CARD=sndhdmi
Or you can make all apps that use alsa for audio-output use HDMI by default by editing /usr/share/alsa/alsa.conf and changing "defaults.ctl.card 0" to "defaults.ctl.card 1" and "defaults.pcm.card 0" to "defaults.pcm.card 1" (again, you need to be root to edit the file)

Does this help?

threads

credits

Novice

credits
Published in 2016-3-7 22:25:02 | Show all floors
I have an Orange PI Plus and I'm connecting it via HDMI to a 26" 1080p LCD TV.  I live in the US, so it's 60Hz refresh.  I'm using the Debian Jessie build from loboris.

Using both the 1080p and 760p "script.bin" files, I end up with the top and left side of the image off screen.  In Mate, the desktop menu is completely off-screen, as are the first 6 or 7 characters of text when using the FB console.

Using the same TV with the Raspberry PI, I have not of these problems, but that uses a different chip.  It seems that outside of the sunxi world, the video drivers are querying the HDMI monitor for its resolution and timing and selecting a configuration based on that.  Under some distros for the PI, there's a calibration utility that lets you tweak the timings so that the image is correctly aligned and sized.  Why isn't this same capability available with the Orange PI?

In any case, I've been unable to work out how to update my system configuration .fex file to adjust the timing so that the entire image is displayed on the screen.  Can someone point me to documentation for this?

Thanks.

threads

credits

Registered member

credits
Published in 2016-3-8 04:18:47 | Show all floors
Filker0 replied at 2016-3-7 22:25
I have an Orange PI Plus and I'm connecting it via HDMI to a 26" 1080p LCD TV.  I live in the US, so ...

What is your TV's input (its "input ratio" or "input mode" or whatever it is called) set to?

In my case (50" LG plasma TV with HDMI input) it was set to 16:9 which resulted in LXDE taskbar at the bottom of the screen getting cut off. Changing that setting to "Just Scan" fixed the issue and brought the image perfectly on the screen.

threads

credits

Novice

credits
Published in 2016-3-13 09:22:56 | Show all floors
After some initial confusion about distros I found this thread and was up and running with Debian Jessie on the built-in storage in a few minutes. Thanks a bunch!

I have noticed the board runs pretty hot (65 C in idle...) and for some reason the load is constantly >3.0... Anyone knows what could cause the load not to drop to zero when idle?

threads

credits

Registered member

credits
Published in 2016-3-13 20:42:22 | Show all floors
WereCatf replied at 2016-3-7 08:19
I'll take another look at the mpv-package, maybe I have messed something up. It's all a work-in-pr ...

Sorry for late reply.

Yes it worked!, it should be something related with mpv and the default audio source, since mpv is minimal interface based there are some options that it takes by default from the system. I really miss mpv to be like SMPlayer or any other simple program with a little more complete interface based, but I guess that's the philosophy of the program, so I don't complain

At the moment I'm using your build, I don't want to download the official Armbian 5.05 from their website since I've been reading there are some problems on some users concerning video playback, so I'll stick with yours till I finish my project for school, and in a couple of months I will look for a new Armbian build which will be enough stable to do everything 3D/video and administration related without a problem.

Thank you so much! ;)

You need to log in before you can reply login | Register

Points Rule

Quick reply Top Return list