View: 12233|Reply: 16

Orange Pi Prime is back to stock now!

[Copy link]

threads

credits

Administrator

credits
Published in 2018-5-10 19:51:45 | Show all floors |Read mode
After a long period material purchansing and production, Orange Pi Prime is back to stock!
Here is link in Aliexpress:
https://www.aliexpress.com/store ... .0.0.1dc8395c0nXKav

threads

credits

credits
Published in 2018-6-15 14:20:20 | Show all floors
Thanks for the feedback. I'd point out the Zero, which is what I wrote about, is H2. That's what I'm having network issues with. I think I read on the linux-sunxi site that this is a known issue. I was actually suprised I didn't run into it with the stock firmware... which is obviously older.

H2 = H3 - 4k. They are the same chips. The only diff is 4k video decoding options which is irrelevant for most use cases. Our H2/H3 support is far superior than stock. For H3 we also provide bug fixed stock kernel, not only a modern kernel. At least with H2/H3 you have more options.

I'm very familiar with trimming Debian. I reduced the stripped "Jessie" install for the NTC C.H.I.P. from its nearly 800MB down to about 350MB.

Good. Then you know what I am talking about. Well, for general purpose usage we can't provide such stripped image and ... installing/writing small files is worse/slow on SD media.

Its easy enough to clone to additional uSD chips.

Or build from sources and stay with latest improvements? There are many of them on all levels. We wanted to add a build option "TINY_IMAGE=yes" or something, but so far ... it's just a plan If you have time, you are welcome to help out in this.

Seems to me 32GB is the max on this board. But I have noticed things work much faster on my 32GB uSD than they do on the 8GB one.

128GB works, 256G probably as well.

If you are interested to find out more about SD cards in details:
https://forum.armbian.com/topic/954-sd-card-performance/

threads

credits

credits
Published in 2018-5-12 00:09:54 | Show all floors
Maybe because the kernel is really old and buggy (like a load average of 3 when going idle)...

threads

credits

Registered member

credits
Published in 2018-5-10 20:18:02 | Show all floors
and what about supporting your products in the right way for customers ? supplying some real linux images and not useless ones !!

threads

credits

Administrator

credits
 Author| Published in 2018-5-11 10:15:37 | Show all floors
vincen replied at 2018-5-10 20:18
and what about supporting your products in the right way for customers ? supplying some real linux i ...

I am so sorry but i could not really understand what kind of usage you need? Why you said image we supply is useless?

threads

credits

Registered member

credits
Published in 2018-5-25 20:31:07 | Show all floors
I am so sorry but i could not really understand what kind of usage you need? Why you said image we supply is useless?

Very old kernels, not even correct USB basic support, and don't even try the Android one that is just unusable !!!

threads

credits

Registered member

credits
Published in 2018-5-29 14:39:08 | Show all floors
And what a surprise not to get any answer then, stupid manufacturer careless for its customers !

threads

credits

Administrator

credits
 Author| Published in 2018-5-30 17:59:32 | Show all floors
vincen replied at 2018-5-29 14:39
And what a surprise not to get any answer then, stupid manufacturer careless for its customers !

I am so sorry to make you feel like that. As test i have, the USB are ok with Linux.

threads

credits

Registered member

credits
Published in 2018-6-1 00:01:22 | Show all floors
admin replied at 2018-5-30 17:59
I am so sorry to make you feel like that. As test i have, the USB are ok with Linux.

Perhaps I can provide some constructive feedback. I picked up a pair of Zero-512MB units a couple of months ago. I've tested the ethernet & wifi with good initial success. I was stunned to discover the OTG port doesn't appear to have a serial or network profile associated with it. I think that is a software deal. But having come from C.H.I.P.s I expected to be able to power up the device and access the Linux console through the OTG port. But then maybe support is left off because the power draw of the SBC is >0.5A, making it prohibitive to plug into a USB host? As the specs say I've made sure to power it with at least 2A so I'm not sure what the real amp requirements are ... yet.

But that is yet another issue I'm running into with the OrangePIs. Documentation is woefully lacking. The main website says essentially the same thing about every model, other than specs and photos and the accuracy of the specs is suspect. It looks like someone started a good framework on the wiki and then simply stopped. Many sections are left blank. Many models aren't covered.

Last night (US PDT) I attached a DS3231 RTC to the TWI0 bus on the 26pin connector and then went to read it... Um. No i2c bus devices in /dev. Looks like /sys/.../12c shows two i2c busses but no drivers, just "dummy". Checked the wiki. Nope, no info there, just a heading. So I'm still digging around to figure out what I need to install the drivers... and yes, I checked the fex file to make sure they are enabled. Others on the forum seemed to have success communicating with the bus so the drivers must have been present at some point in the past.

This speaks to the "usefulnes" of the images provided by OrangePI. I've tried two images so far (deb server & desktop) and neither support the i2c busses out of the box. Network, i2c, spi & gpio are probably the primary things people will want to manipulate on your boards. After all you provide connectors to export those signals. Heck there are people who will want to use the camera too! Bottom line: the images should be able to support ALL peripherals that the SBC makes available without the end user having to build custom kernels and/or images. That should only be necessary for people who need some specific functionality, like trimming things down to conserve RAM/uSD for their specific needs.

And then there is the funky LF. It seems to invarriably rise to the number of cores on the board. Not sure what that is about. But I've seen enough artificially high LFs in my time it really doesn't bother me. Sure seemed to bother the other guy though. And it would be nice to have an accurate

Well... I'm out of time but that should be anough to think over.

threads

credits

Registered member

credits
Published in 2018-6-1 02:28:53 from mobile | Show all floors
Hi, I recommend you tu use Armbian H2/H3 devices are very well supported from peripheral and power management point of views.

threads

credits

Registered member

credits
Published in 2018-6-2 23:16:13 | Show all floors
calinp replied at 2018-6-1 02:28
Hi, I recommend you tu use Armbian H2/H3 devices are very well supported from peripheral and power m ...

Thank you. I'll give it a try.

You need to log in before you can reply login | Register

Points Rule

Quick reply Top Return list