[Copy link]

threads

credits

Registered member

credits
Published in 2018-5-24 20:22:18 | Show all floors |Read mode
Edited by Tempest at 2018-5-25 16:44

Hi All,

I have a brand new Orange Pi Lite that I don't appear to be able to power up.  When I connect my switched-mode 5V 3A adaptor (centre pin (+) positive) to the OPi Lite socket the adaptor immediately shuts down, as if due to overcurrent protection being triggered.  I have tried powering the OPi Lite with a 5V 2A transformer-based PSU and detected the current spiking at ~2.5A while two components, a diode (D36) and a resistor (R48), just behind the OPi Lite's power socket becoming very hot.  I immediately have to switch the power off for this test to avoid further damage.  I have never successfully powered on and booted up the OPi Lite so I am not entirely sure what to expect in terms of how the unit powers on with or without an SD card, monitor attached or how the LED indicators react.  I have tested the resitance between the centre pin and ground on the 200 Ohm scale (output about 2.85VDC) and found it to be about 160 Ohms (positive to ground) and 11K rising when reversing the leads.  I suspect I may have a short to ground but would appreciate any advice on what others have found with their own OPi Lite units.

Also, could someone with a working OPi Lite test the resistance between the centre pin of the power socket and ground and let me know the result please?

Is D36 the reverse polarity protection diode?  Can I perform any more tests to be certain of a short circuit here?

Thanks,
Tony

This thread contains more resources

You need to Log in to download or view,No account?    Register

x

threads

credits

Administrator

credits
Published in 2018-6-14 13:45:25 | Show all floors
Tempest replied at 2018-6-13 04:30
Does anyone have a link to the schematic for the Orange Pi Lite?

Here i have the schematic, but sorry i cannot understand it.

This thread contains more resources

You need to Log in to download or view,No account?    Register

x

threads

credits

Novice

credits
Published in 2018-5-31 08:50:38 | Show all floors
Me too have problem with power, but my trouble arose when i connected modular power adapter, to my orange pi lite 2, and i did not have time to see whether the board is working, as the power unit began to smell with fused plastic. After that i tried connected via gpio pins 2 and 6 (and mixed up wires, because forgot about connection order, my wires were connected 5v - 3 pin, ground to 11 pin) board components gettings hot, but nothing burned down. After that, i find manul with gpio schematic(before i didn't work with any mini single board pc, and don't know much about gpio) When i connect all wires right( i tryid gpio connection, USB and via connector(from modular power adapter, cutted and connected to develop power board with indicator light), no heat, no light from leds on orange pi, no power when wires connected to board, because some protection is on in the power source, i reached that when led on my develop board(YuRobot power mb v2) becomes off when wires connected to orange pi.

sdcard is 32 gb 10 class, formatted and have installed img(i'm not tried only android, but trouble in power)

Did not want to create the same post

threads

credits

Registered member

credits
 Author| Published in 2018-6-4 22:19:20 | Show all floors
Edited by Tempest at 2018-6-5 06:02

Hi,

Thanks for adding to the discussion, even to just add your own experience.  I  am sure someone out there can offer some expert advice on this.  I think I saw something on the internet that mentioned a regulator failing if over-voltage is fed, like 12V supply.  I think you would need to try to follow the route of the power line through each component to see where the fault(s) exist.  Are you talking about the schematics on orangpi.org?  They looked quite high level and not down to specific component level to me, but I could be wrong.

threads

credits

Registered member

credits
 Author| Published in 2018-6-13 04:30:46 | Show all floors
Does anyone have a link to the schematic for the Orange Pi Lite?

threads

credits

Registered member

credits
 Author| Published in 2018-6-15 01:57:45 | Show all floors
Okay, thank you.  I appreciate it.

threads

credits

Registered member

credits
 Author| Published in 2018-7-4 20:54:34 | Show all floors
Edited by Tempest at 2018-7-4 20:56

Okay, so I took a look at the schematic and carried out some board-level tests to find my short circuit and I isolated the short to U7 (SY8089A), which is the regulator on the 1.2V/2A line power supply for the SYSTEM.  I purchased a new SY8089A on eBay and replaced the faulty component using a hot air rework station.  I now have a working OPi Lite!   I installed Armbian as it's the easiest to install and set up to test my OPi Lite and it works fine.  The only thing I have to do now is get familiar with Armbian desktop to configure the display, desktops and any new apps I eventually install.

threads

credits

Gold member

credits
Published in 2023-12-28 18:55:36 | Show all floors
It is a great suggestions specifically to be able to people not used to blogosphere, quick and also correct information… Thank you regarding revealing this place. A necessity examine write-up.        fire kirin 777

threads

credits

Gold member

credits
Published in 2023-12-30 18:48:10 | Show all floors
I think this is an informative post and it is very useful and knowledgeable. therefore, I would like to thank you for the efforts you have made in writing this article.        walk-in closet

threads

credits

Gold member

credits
Published in 2023-12-30 21:37:47 | Show all floors
This is such a great resource that you are providing and you give it away for free. I love seeing blog that understand the value of providing a quality resource for free.        Real Estate Photography
You need to log in before you can reply login | Register

Points Rule

Quick reply Top Return list