Orange Pi One Plus - Wifi rtl8812au

[Copy link]

threads

credits

Novice

credits
Published in 2018-9-14 04:52:54 | Show all floors |Read mode
Hi,
It's days I'm trying to have this dongle working, but with no luck.
I consider myself a skilled programmer but I've no clues how to get this wifi dongle working.
The dongle is based on Realtek rtl8812au, and I can't compile drivers due a lack of aarch64 kernel headers.

If not possible, can you suggest me a wifi dongle that can work out of the box?
I would like to use this Orange PI as a center of my home automation software, I really do not want to fight too many days with this system.

Thank you
Max

threads

credits

credits
Published in 2018-9-14 16:15:38 | Show all floors
On Armbian - if it does not work out of the box - the driver should compile fine. Check this:
https://forum.armbian.com/topic/ ... t&comment=29521

If you are using the image for One Plus which is provided by OrangePi (which is inefficient and wastes a lot of energy by the way) I have no clue.

threads

credits

Novice

credits
 Author| Published in 2018-9-14 21:57:32 | Show all floors
Hi Werner,
I will re-have a look at armbian, because it doesn't boot at all, it stay with a black screen. Hope will exit from beta soon

Wired network is working fine on Debian, but it will be great for me to have wifi as will easier for me to place the orange pi inside an electrical box outside by house.
Thanks

threads

credits

credits
Published in 2018-9-14 22:52:56 | Show all floors
I have a OPi One Plus here and it works really well. I am using an older build of Armbian however which served the 4.17.y kernel. Maybe there is something broken in 4.18. Anyway in a couple of weeks I well receive another One Plus and will use this one to hunt down bugs in Armbian regarding this device if possible.

By the way you say black screen? HDMI may not work yet, however as stated Ethernet working great and serial GPIO also working for direct access.

The bottom   line is that the mainline support for H5 and H6 based devices is still under heavy development. The current status of staff that is supported and written you can lookup here: http://linux-sunxi.org/Linux_mainlining_effort

threads

credits

Novice

credits
 Author| Published in 2018-9-15 04:42:31 | Show all floors
Hi Werner,
patience is the key! I installed stretch, and just waited the pi to boot.
The boot sequence is just a black screen, but after a while it boot correctly!
I'm just searching for kernel headers as the compilation is not working, but seems a great improvement over Ubuntu as even temperature is lower (Ubuntu stays at 64 idle, Armbian 52)

Thanks for the suggestion, armbian the best!

threads

credits

credits
Published in 2018-9-16 01:03:43 | Show all floors
The first boot cycle takes a while as the system extends the filesystem to use the whole microSD card.

If you  mean with "ubuntu" the Ubuntu image provided by OrangePi themselves, then the temperature is caused by the very poor shipped kernel. If you check your average load using this image you will also notice that three out of four cores are always at 100% load. This causing the heat.

Armbian provides images featuring Debian as well as Ubuntu as operating system.

threads

credits

Novice

credits
 Author| Published in 2018-9-17 15:30:32 | Show all floors
Yes, Ubuntu was the provided image with Orange Pi, to be considered a junk distribution! I even tested OPI Debian but same thing!

Now I'm on armbian, it's a great improvement! You saved my day!
Thanks for the suggestion, with your confirmation I dediced to have a look again and I got it, I'm on Armbian because of you, thanks!

threads

credits

credits
Published in 2018-9-23 16:03:00 | Show all floors
Edited by Werner at 2018-9-23 09:04

You're welcome
Both the Ubuntu and Debian images provided by OrangePi are shipped with the very same (poor) kernel. Therefore the temperature and performance issues existing in both images.
You need to log in before you can reply login | Register

Points Rule

Quick reply Top Return list