View: 16177|Reply: 3

Hands-on workshop series for WordPress Antwerp community

[Copy link]

threads

credits

Novice

credits
Published in 2019-1-16 00:12:12 from mobile | Show all floors |Read mode
I’m looking to run a series of hands-on workshops for the wordpress community in Antwerp (Belgium).  There have been free-to-attend talks, Q&A and more for a few years.  I know there’s an interest in workshops as well as SBC’s, both i have experience in.  It seems most interesting to try make that as tangible and practical as possible (rather than give only a theoretical presentation).

As such i’m hoping to get a nice set of orange pi’s donated, to enable a sizable group to enjoy learning by doing.  Hopefully they’ll each come with case (for protection) and PSU.  It would be great if a USB to TTL serial (for any troubleshooting / debricking) and display (for status info like IP address) could be included with the set.

I’m set on running Armbian (device specific optimisations & community) on a 2Gb RAM device (caching).  I’m still doubting between Orange Pi prime (64-bit, seems more future oriented yet currently less supported) and Orange Pi Plus 2E (EMMC, allows preparing the devices in a set state).

I’m planning to make it a series of independent workshops, where people can pick and choose which one(s) to attend.

1. Device basics : getting to know the orange pi, (preparing for) first boot, ssh connection, cli operation, network configuration, etc.

2. Running wordpress : installing LAMP / LEMP stack, wordpress install, user permissions, sftp, etc.

3. Server security (& config) : iptables, fail2ban, vhosts, logfiles, etc.

4. Git server : installation and basics of git use.
(I did a talk at a wordpress meetup about git before and i run a git server on an SBC.)

5. Backups : (connection) protocols, (importance of) versioning, tools, etc.
(I currently have a Works For Me solution, so needs preparation / research.)

Additional ideas include :
a. Setting up a LAMP / LEMP cluster and understanding approaches / challenges.
b. Show casing other open source projects (NextCloud, Pi-Hole, PiVPN, etc).
c. Turning the SBC in a mobile demo unit (LAMP / LEMP + hostapd + DHCP + DNS + …)
d. Integrating physical world with web ?  (Would need GPIO sensor kit/s.)

I’ll make all workshop resources available.  (My git talk -in Dutch- from 2 years ago is here : https://ict.mind-heart-soul.org/workshop-git-basis/)  Still considering if it would be in Dutch (native language) or English.

I often do workshops in social movements around Europe, so that’s one of the ways i’ll be using the donated equipment beyond this workshop series.

Let me know if you have questions / suggestions ?
Single choicepoll, A total of people voted
Your usergroup does not have voting rights

threads

credits

Registered member

credits
Published in 2020-10-23 20:12:33 | Show all floors

Greetings,
I'm interested in the a series of independent workshops you've mentioned in the above post. Where can I find those? I'm a private high school teacher and I work with students online currently due to the pandemic and hybrid schooling system supported by the parents at our school. So I'm looking for various kinds of tasks (including workshops and online webinars) for my class.
Thanks,
Stefan

Use magic report

threads

credits

Novice

credits
Published in 2021-7-18 13:25:54 | Show all floors
There are in every case a few principles, systems, and impediments of utilizing a few applications. Here they are making the limited money to pull out and store them but we have an opportunity to buy business essay writing service to complete academic tasks on time. One should have a total thought regarding its restriction prior to utilizing t to remain protected from any bother.

Use magic report

threads

credits

Novice

credits
Published in 2021-8-3 17:32:48 | Show all floors
Thanks for the sharing. This is my first time visiting your blog. Really I like your Blog. Keep doing more like this.
play solitaire

Use magic report

You need to log in before you can reply login | Register

Points Rule

Quick reply Top Return list