View: 6479|Reply: 3

Java (Processing) App Runs Extremely Slowly on Orange Pi PC

[Copy link]

threads

credits

Novice

credits
Published in 2020-5-27 11:43:52 | Show all floors |Read mode
I am trying to set up the Orange Pi using Armbian as a sort of kiosk, where the OPi boots directly into a Java app (built with Processing) with a display window. I have lightdm installed, but desktop is disabled. So I run lightdm, and then run the Java app.
It runs really, really slowly, like 1 frame every 5 seconds. The same app runs at about 24fps on a Raspberry Pi B+ with Diet Pi. If I check the memory usage with free -m, it shows me that I have about 500M left of the 1GB total.

It seems like the app probably isn't hitting the GPU, or I can't imagine it would be this slow. I would also like to see if allocating more memory to the app is possible. Can someone help me with some ideas for optimizing this? Thanks!

threads

credits

Novice

credits
 Author| Published in 2020-5-30 03:12:02 | Show all floors
Thanks for the links. I've been digging into this over the past few days, and I think it's a GPU issue. I seem to have plenty of memory to spare, but I think the rendering is happening on the CPU and not the GPU: here's what happens when I print out the OpenGL info:

OpenGL vendor string: VMware, Inc.
OpenGL renderer string: llvmpipe (LLVM 7.0, 128 bits)
OpenGL core profile version string: 3.3 (Core Profile) Mesa 18.3.6
OpenGL core profile shading language version string: 3.30
OpenGL core profile context flags: (none)
OpenGL core profile profile mask: core profile
OpenGL core profile extensions:
OpenGL version string: 3.1 Mesa 18.3.6
OpenGL shading language version string: 1.40
OpenGL context flags: (none)
OpenGL extensions:
OpenGL ES profile version string: OpenGL ES 3.0 Mesa 18.3.6
OpenGL ES profile shading language version string: OpenGL ES GLSL ES 3.00

I tried to install Mesa drivers, and they seem be there, but it looks like the renderer is still using the CPU. I don't know why this is or how to fix it.

I use xinit to start a X window, and then I run the app. While the app is running at like 1 frame every 5 seconds, I can run glxgears and it shows over 100fps. So I'm just confused in general about what is going on.

threads

credits

Novice

credits
 Author| Published in 2020-5-30 06:43:01 | Show all floors
Thanks for taking time to respond but hiring someone is really not the advice I was looking for, and Quora is not a good place to hire engineers anyway. I guess I was hoping for someone to be able to walk me through some GPU optimizations or point me to some new GPU drivers or something.

threads

credits

Novice

credits
Published in 2023-5-30 05:38:23 | Show all floors
If your Java app is running slowly on the Orange Pi, there are a few potential factors that could be affecting its performance. Here are some suggestions to optimize the performance and try white label bitcoin wallet
You need to log in before you can reply login | Register

Points Rule

Quick reply Top Return list