Orange Pi 4, USB-C, future images

[Copy link]

threads

credits

Registered member

credits
Published in 2020-7-3 19:43:56 | Show all floors |Read mode
Hi everyone

Just got an Orange Pi 4B, after seeing the specs and the potential to use display out over USB-C. Very few SBCs do offer that, and I was interested in that kind of functionality, in addition to the NPU etc.

I've been trying the Opi 4B with my Nexdock, and using the official Ubuntu 18.04 image was able to get power + display over USB-C, however that's it - no other USB functionality was working over USB-C, only over the other USB 2.0 ports. So that made my Nexdock kindof useless. Armbian fared even worse, only having power over the USB-C port.

1) Is there some extra configuration needed to make the USB-C port work fully?

2) Are there plans to update the images to newer versions of Ubuntu, Debian, even Android?

Thanks in advance!

threads

credits

Registered member

credits
 Author| Published in 2020-7-4 19:49:09 | Show all floors
Edited by patrix at 2020-7-4 21:15

(duplicate post, removing)

threads

credits

Registered member

credits
 Author| Published in 2020-7-4 08:18:11 | Show all floors
Hi Narly9999, thanks for the reply - I'm running Armbian on most of my boards, and tried it on the Opi as well. It's faster and more up to date than the official images, which is great, however USB-C support is lesser in that it does not support display out over USB-C (yet), while it does actually act as a USB 3.0 port at least, which is the opposite of the official image..

Wondering if there's a way to get the full functionality of the port in one image..

Anyway thanks for the answer, we'll see if someone else knows something more as well.

threads

credits

Registered member

credits
 Author| Published in 2020-7-4 18:20:37 | Show all floors
Yes, I've asked around, they're working on it, sortof, amongst all the other boards they're working on, and there's no promise or timeline.

I'm asking here because I was hoping that Orange Pi themselves might support the features of their own board, but they probably leave that up to the developers anyway...

threads

credits

Novice

credits
Published in 2023-7-10 12:33:59 | Show all floors
The Orange Pi 4B offers a range of connectivity rainbow friends options, including USB 3.0 ports, USB 2.0 ports, Gigabit Ethernet, HDMI output, and the USB-C port mentioned earlier.
You need to log in before you can reply login | Register

Points Rule

Quick reply Top Return list