Please select To the mobile version | Continue to access the desktop computer version

OrangePi

Login            
 Register            
Search
Hot search: orangepi
View: 345|Reply: 5

Missing Files and Folder in HDD after using Checkdisk ...

[Copy link]

Threads

Credits

Gold member

Credits
Post time 2020-9-16 14:53:04 | Show all posts |Read mode
Hello,

I'm in big trouble right now, I have a 4tb hard disk for files/media storage that was use in windows 7, I moved it to windows 10 and when it started I can't access it and says that I need to do a checkdisk so I did, I used checkdisk and repair.

After the check disk, I'm shocked that all of my files/folders are gone missing!  The hdd is still accessible, I can open the hdd and I can see that the space is still used so I think the files/folders are still there but I don't know how to access it because I can't see it on Windows Explorer.

I'm sure its not hidden/system hidden  - I checked it already

Threads

Credits

Intermediate member

Credits
Post time 2020-9-16 14:53:53 | Show all posts
Hi, when you say you used to check disk and repair, what exactly do you mean? Did you run chkdsk /r from an elevated cmd prompt and reboot your computer to run it, OR did you use error checking from the disk properties menu?

Can you open a Powershell (admin) prompt, press win +x, if so, copy this cmd and right-click anywhere in the Powershell window, the cmd will append to the prompt? Press enter.

Threads

Credits

Intermediate member

Credits
Post time 2020-9-16 14:54:20 | Show all posts
I will test the EaseUS Data Recovery Wizard. Thank you for your suggestion.

I forgot to mention I already tried Recuva but it did not find any file, only deleted files and most are not recoverable. I used the quick scan because its on an external dock. I will test also the deep scan once I attached it to the SATA cable.

How do you prevent the scrambled file system? and why does it happen? This is the first time I encounter it and don't want this to happen again.

Threads

Credits

Intermediate member

Credits
Post time 2020-9-16 14:54:26 | Show all posts
There's nothing special to do to prevent something like that occurring and it can happen for a variety of reasons - sometimes (though rarely) because a hard drive may be on the verge of failing. If data is recoverable from that drive, a deep scan with the EaseUS Recovery tool should find it. If it doesn't, then all hope still hasn't been lost, it's just you may need professional data recovery services to recover the data. Let's hope it doesn't get that far because that can be quite expensive.

Threads

Credits

Intermediate member

Credits
Post time 2020-9-16 14:54:39 | Show all posts
Good news! I tested the EaseUS Data Recovery Wizard and was able to peek through the folder.000 and found my files.  I let it run for a while to do the Deep Scan and it found more files. I stopped the scan since it would take a long time, I also need to buy HDDs to save the files, but the first experience using the Data Reovery Wizard is very nice!

The bad thing I noticed is that the files inside are somewhat scattered? and the Deep Scan shows filetypes that has the same name example MP4 FILE1.MP4 FILE2.MP4.

Also, it seems the files are inside the folder.000, maybe if I can access it using Windows Explorer I won't need the Data Recovery Wizard. Do you know why I can't access this from Windows Explorer?

Threads

Credits

Intermediate member

Credits
Post time 6 day(s) ago | Show all posts
When the Hiren menu appears, select Mini XP Mode and it will load. Finally, you should see the Windows desktop. You should be able to recognize this part and feel comfortable, but this is not your table - this is Shepard's table! Remember, you didn’t boot from your hard drive — you booted the Hiren desktop. Sourceologist One way to check your hard drive for errors is to open My Computer, right-click the appropriate drive and select Properties, Tools, Error Checking, Check Now. Check both boxes, then click Start.
You have to log in before you can reply Login | Register

Points Rules

Archiver|Mobile edition|Darkroom|OrangePi En ( 粤ICP备14086627号-2

2020-9-28 15:46 GMT+8 , Processed in 0.031587 second(s), 24 queries .