Author: igorpec

All Oranges, Debian and Ubuntu images, updated 12.1.2019

[Copy link]

threads

credits

credits
Published in 2016-3-28 03:42:25 | Show all floors
ive fixed that with your suggestion.

But now i have a different  "problem". When booting, "LSB: Raising network interfaces"  takes like 1.5 minute to complete.
Any ideas how to speed that up ?

threads

credits

credits
Published in 2016-3-28 03:58:04 | Show all floors
Also, is there a way to check frequency and temperature ?

Possibly in an taskbar form, that would display such information at all times

threads

credits

Intermediate member

credits
Published in 2016-4-1 05:34:51 | Show all floors
I tested Armbian_5.05_Orangepiplus_Debian_jessie_3.4.110_desktop.

I basically like it, particularly the updated voltage and frequency table.  I had been pulling my hair out trying to get 1.3 Ghz and never realized the laboris kernel was the issue.  Anyway, it looks clean, and fixes thermal problems well while providing a correct rpimonitor setup.

Every other reboot seems to fail at an (initramfs) prompt.  Cutting/applying power makes it boot correctly.  Also, the mpv player wasn't very useful-- most of my videos are xvid, and I discovered this apparently isn't handled.  Pity.

But the major problem was the browser.  It was HORRIBLE slow, causing even the mouse to stop responding regularly.  I wanted to test a YT video or two, and it probably took 40 minutes just to get one playing after opening iceweasel.  You know, ctrl-l, youtube.com, click one, and play.  40 minutes with nothing else running.  It was impossible to evaluate how well this even worked with such horrible performance on any page I visited.

After killing the display manager and running it as a headless server, though, I have to applaud the efforts-- 1.3 Ghz works very well with a heatsink and pegging 2 cores 24/7.  (60C max)

threads

credits

Intermediate member

credits
Published in 2016-4-2 05:35:30 | Show all floors
  1. eric@europa:~$ armbianmonitor -c $HOME
  2. /usr/local/bin/armbianmonitor: illegal option -- c
Copy code
I don't think it's the wrong script.bin, else it would always fail.  It's fairly reproducible using: 'shutdown -r now'.  If instead I shutdown, cut and reapply power, it boots every time.  And yeah, I had a spare SD card for working with it.  NAND contains debian jessie, but a laboris kernel that apparently lacks 1.3Ghz possibility.
Unchecking "Use hardware acceleration when available" on the iceweasel advanced prefs solves the horrible speed.  It doesn't make it a racer exactly, but it doesn't hang the system for minutes at a time anymore.

threads

credits

Novice

credits
Published in 2016-4-5 00:57:28 | Show all floors
This is the first ROM I have tried that enables me to do everything I want! Particularly pleased with robust performance of video acceleration with mpv, including scaling! I'm running an OPi PC with a heatsink from an old audio amp fixed to the chips by elastic band...
A few little problems though...
I wanted to be able to share a connection via Ethernet to another device, whether using WiFi or a second ethernet to connect to the internet. Wicd is not able to do this, so I removed it and installed NetworkManager instead. The trouble is, when I restart, an extra entry is created for eth0, which then does not work. You have to delete both entries in nm-connection-editor and create a new one. Also I have to run nm-connection-editor as root or I cannot edit anything, even though I am in the netdev group.
Also I want to be able to switch sound between the jack socket and the HDMI output. Sure I can do it by editing /etc/asound.conf, but is there a GUI way? Oddly, when playing h264 .ts videos with mpv, there is no sound if the jack socket is selected, even though mpv reports everything OK, but it works fine via HDMI. Other video formats are OK with both. Finally, I have configured my keyboard layout to UK English, but occasionally after rebooting it reverts to Slovenian. Going back to keyboard setup shows UK still selected -- you have to click and unclick 'use system default' before getting UK layout back.
On the whole it's peachy! Looking forward to the Ubuntu Xenotransplantable version as then NetworkManager will be native and probably work properly. But this is good! Major problems all follow from rebooting, but it seems very stable so I won't have to!

threads

credits

Intermediate member

credits
Published in 2016-4-26 00:43:36 | Show all floors
My earlier issues are mostly gone.  I started from scratch with a new SD card because the earlier one was class 4.  That alone makes a difference.  The hanging issue I'm sure was related to IO, often kswapd despite having plenty of memory.  I'm anxious to see how installing to EMMC will behave.  The browser is still slow [and the earlier hack of disabling acceleration was not relevant, btw], but usable even on YT.   The only serious issue was getting audio working properly on HDMI.  For whatever reason, it didn't configure properly and the headphone port worked great while HDMI was a major irritant if it worked at all.  I installed pulse audio and it worked beautifully on the headphone port but again HDMI was bad.  After farting around with it for a while, I decided to inspect the settings on the properly working laboris debian image, and apply those.  That worked and the HDMI and headphone ports both produce great audio using pulse, mixing everything properly.  I'd say perfect, but there is some minor crackling.  It's kinda neat to having multiple dosbox games running all producing audio and mixing perfectly.

threads

credits

credits
 Author| Published in 2016-5-1 19:43:31 | Show all floors
All images are updated ... apt-get update and upgrade from our older images will be ready in less then a day.

threads

credits

Registered member

credits
Published in 2016-5-5 08:53:14 | Show all floors
Edited by pepadew at 2016-5-5 08:55

is this also for the kali 2.0?
so install kali img from here on sd
then apt-get update
and apt-get upgrade
then i am safe for the exploit?

edit: i was reading wrong, my bad, sorry.

threads

credits

Novice

credits
Published in 2016-6-13 16:09:21 | Show all floors
How to update the Debian " Orange Pi PC" I do not want to remove the system.

threads

credits

Novice

credits
Published in 2016-9-6 06:43:03 | Show all floors
I made a clean install of the latest version of armbian for my Orange Pi One. Then apt-get update, apt-get upgrade etc.

Followed again the tutorial (http://forum.armbian.com/index.p ... e-wireless-success/) and now my OPi keeps rebooting every time my WiFi dongle is connected to the USB port.

Much trouble to just make an WiFi dongle to work... I'm thinking about trash out this OPi and going back to Raspberry Pi and Raspbian!

By the way... Can't understand why armbian don't have native support to at least one of these:

- Atheros AR9271
- Ralink RT3070
- Ralink RT3572

They are the most used USB WiFi adapters out there...

[]s!
You need to log in before you can reply login | Register

Points Rule

Quick reply Top Return list