View: 13306|Reply: 1

Kali not so good for me, I like Lubuntu

[Copy link]

threads

credits

Registered member

credits
Published in 2015-10-29 12:47:03 | Show all floors |Read mode
I heard that Kali was the most complete distro. I've been using Lubuntu (stock) since I got my Orange pi late last week.

So, after hearing that, I created an sdcard from the Kali image to check it out on my Orange pi pc. The vertcal USB port didn't work. Wired networking didn't work. Kali failed at boot trying to start eth0 with no time limit for retries (so it said). It did eventually give up, but after different wait times on different boot ups.

Kali required sudo for things that Lubuntu does not. For example, in Kali ifconfig and tools like it just say, "not found" unless you type sudo. On Ubuntu, you get permission denied when sudo is required. A simple "ifconfig" doesn't require sudo in Ubuntu, but does in Kali.

The desktop in Kali was a little to big for the screen. When I first booted Ubuntu I had to change resolution and refresh rates to make it normal, so I may have been able to fix that in Kali, but I got worried that I had somehow messed up my board's RJ45 & USB connection by handling it, so I plugged my Lubuntu card back in and I'm typing using it now. I downloaded Kali from Mega. I assume that's the right version and the same as the one on Google Drive. I think that the person who said that Kali was the best distro had tried both Lubuntu and Kali, so I'm wondering if I did something wrong or if there might be an update.

I didn't think to do apt-get update before writing this post. Come to think of it, it did cross my mind, but the ethernet didn't work. I could try wireless on the OTG side...

threads

credits

credits
Published in 2015-10-29 13:44:11 | Show all floors
Edited by Survive-Pi at 2015-10-28 22:46

Supposedly h3 boards are similar and all imgs work with all boards if you use correct script.bin and uimage... I have not had that much luck.
I have an opiplus and can't use the Orange Pi-PC_Ubuntu image with opiplus script.bins and uimage... did not try the latest updates released.
The Plus has onboard WiFi... I have never tried the wired internet... I haven't tried USB ports. I put keyboard dongle in when it arrived and haven't moved it. Kali worked well but had an error with apt-get something...'Jessie not valid' or something... couldn't install what I was working on. (OctoPrint)
Installed Ubuntu_Wily  today. Upgraded update_kernel.sh. Installed Mate desktop. Plugged my 3-D printer in 2nd port and it works. Plugged Arduino mega clone in 3rd port and it works. Leaves one untested. Camera doesn't work yet but is visible as video0.
Each different image I try has something different that doesn't work...Ubuntu_Wily (before kernel update) will only install to emmc WITHOUT btrfs. Not brave (or smart) enough to back up all my latest installs/changes to sd card and try emmc btrfs after kernel update... someone else can check..
Happy with Wily on Orange Pi Plus.
Orange Pi Plus
You need to log in before you can reply login | Register

Points Rule

Quick reply Top Return list