please choosego to mobile | Continue to access the PC version
Author: swordfish6975

Openelec Build for OPI PC and 2 now with HW decoding

[Copy link]

threads

credits

credits
Published in 2017-2-21 02:28:02 | Show all floors
Can you make an image of the screen after you pressed "o" key? Other issues may be insufficient power supply or poor SD card. Try to change those too.

threads

credits

Registered member

credits
Published in 2017-2-21 03:55:02 | Show all floors
Other PSU was the first I tried, SD card is new, decent Samsung branded, network transfer speed to SD card is around 7Mbytes/sec.
Here's the codec info: http://imgur.com/a/YV1xz
Actually this issue seems familiar to me, I had something like this on Windows when I was playing with the audio output settings years ago.
Since no frame drops, it's probably some buffering issue.

And about 4k videos: I tried a netflix rip, mass frame dropping.

threads

credits

credits
Published in 2017-2-21 04:03:39 | Show all floors
Nothing strange on that info... Well, only H265 8bit 4K video can be decoded. H264 4K doesn't work. I used 2 samples during development and they worked without frame drops.

Sorry, no ideas.

threads

credits

Registered member

credits
Published in 2017-2-21 04:40:57 | Show all floors
No problem, I will do some more tests tomorrow.

threads

credits

credits
Published in 2017-2-22 03:00:12 | Show all floors
Edited by thc013 at 2017-2-22 05:17

@khoavn does it work now ?

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/nzslj ... Yz3p4Wrs8WmzDa?dl=0

tested opi-pc-plus opi-one bx2

tested bx2 and plus wifi works

threads

credits

credits
Published in 2017-2-22 06:24:15 | Show all floors
Just because I have to build a new image, I uploaded latest update file without images. So for new installations, you have to burn old image and then update with this update file (should be suggested by Kodi and automatically executed). This should be last release for some time.

threads

credits

Registered member

credits
Published in 2017-2-22 10:02:55 | Show all floors
jernej replied at 2017-2-21 01:31
H3 is too weak for software h265 and maybe h264 encoding. However, it has hardware support for h26 ...

Yes, I have seen this https://forum.armbian.com/index. ... der-h3-cmos-camera/
About the weakness of H3 - I would respectfully disagree. Even without hw enconding, I think H3 is still capable of doing the job. It draws very little power, so it might be very cost effective. It's quite obvious that x264/x265 compression seems to be far better than hw algorithm of h3 (or any other hw arm encoding). x264 is a very mature product and it produces much better results than hw encoded videos. I know it can take hours or even days to encode a simple video on arm, but for casual purposes of home videos it can be very cost effective solution and it should be additional interesting use of idle cpu, which, for example has uptime of 100+ days (thanks to your great build) and load average 5.03, 5.09, 5.12 - I suppose it seems to be a little high mainly because of kswapd bug. I think many of us have a lot of old home videos, maybe even on vhs, or want to deinterlace and encode them to x264 from older mpeg2 cameras, or just want to use amazing http://public.hronopik.de/vid.stab/ filter (example: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eYh6pEiYuAM).  
I've also seen this https://github.com/stbenz/oe-ffmpeg
Would it be possible to include above in your openelec build - or would it be a problem, because of specifics of h3 build. Any clues? As I said I was able to compile my own ffmpeg with x264/x265/vid.stab on arm, but it was possible in full debian system, as I'm not an IT professional, I don't really know where to start my RTFM procedure ;)
Published in 2017-2-22 10:42:09 | Show all floors
Edited by chaszim at 2017-2-22 10:46
jernej replied at 2017-2-20 04:10
Image building is simple - Linux (virtual) machine with few programs installed and two commands. Wha ...

That would require a major overhaul and complete retooling of my brain, and frankly it's too old. When you do hang it up please please please pass the batton on to someone capable of maintaining the flow. Thanks for the latest new image, but, I've already forgotten how to SMB it into the system.

threads

credits

credits
Published in 2017-2-22 14:29:33 | Show all floors
chaszim replied at 2017-2-22 03:42
That would require a major overhaul and complete retooling of my brain, and frankly it's too old. W ...

It should be automatic through update mechanism if it is enabled in settings. At least you can do is to manually press check for updates button somewhere in the (OpenELEC) settings...

I would hand over the project, or better said, help anyone to take over as it is everything on github, but till now only thc013 showed some real interest. He is trying to port Kodi 17. Do you know anyone who would like to develop it further? BTW, I'm not going anywhere. I will still read this subforum.

Published in 2017-2-23 00:17:53 | Show all floors
jernej replied at 2017-2-22 14:29
It should be automatic through update mechanism if it is enabled in settings. At least you can do  ...

To date, in reality, I've seen "no one better" on the forum, willing to deal with both the thread & the system updates. It's a little hard at times, geting full explanations, because you tend to replying to a question, with a question, or a direction I can achieve, but, I'm not complaining. So, I seem to spent most of my time, in the trenches, trying to keep my favorite live IPTV streams active & up to date, and identifing & dealing with, the different buffering issues. On this update however, I got the notification of the updates, but (at least this time), it didn't update automatically. Not a clue yet, why it didn't. And frankly, if your not doing this, at least every other day, the knowledge of how it's done, tends quickly to slips into obscurity.   
You need to log in before you can reply login | Register

Points Rule

Quick reply Top Return list