please choosego to mobile | Continue to access the PC version
Author: giacomo892

Linux 4.X support for H3

[Copy link]
Published in 2015-11-29 20:39:52 | Show all floors
zhao_steven replied at 2015-11-29 11:18
@bronco  The is the truth that Steven have said.

That's great news! Did you also design the Lamobo R1?
Published in 2015-11-29 21:57:15 | Show all floors
We just have produced first samples of Lamobo R1(only OEM). We don't design it.

threads

credits

Registered member

credits
 Author| Published in 2015-12-20 21:59:18 | Show all floors
No news about the OP?
Published in 2015-12-24 00:46:48 | Show all floors

threads

credits

credits
Published in 2015-12-24 05:14:51 | Show all floors
Edited by fritz at 2015-12-23 23:35

Well latest news!:
mainline 4.4-rc6 with USB support patch, SMP Hack and THS patch
Boards:
orangepi plus, olinuxino A20, cubieboard A10, mele A2000 .....

threads

credits

Registered member

credits
 Author| Published in 2015-12-28 15:44:52 | Show all floors
Uh uh uh Nice news! Waiting for Ethernet support

threads

credits

Registered member

credits
Published in 2015-12-31 05:16:44 | Show all floors
Edited by faddat at 2015-12-31 05:22

I'd like to back steven up for a moment:  

The ODMs in China tend to be the no bullshit source of truth because of what it is they do-- Steven, I'm guessing most people dont' know exactly what an ODM is/does-- Shenzhen is a special place in that regard, most everyone you meet knows something about electronics, and if they don't then they have two or three friends that do, and the knowledge is spread in that manner.

O - Original
D - Design
M - Manufacturer
VS:

O - Original
E - Equipment
M - Manufacturer

(and there's a third kind that only licenses, I think but I forget the name)

Sometimes an ODM has production machinery, and sometimes they contract out to another company.  They typically profit from licensing their product* designs to other companies for integration into finished products, which often takes the form of snapping a plastic case onto boards produced by an ODM with on-site machinery or a manufacturer licensing (or "borrowing" -- both "borrowing" and licensing are pretty common, I think) the ODM's design, making the board, snapping on the plastic case, and marketing the product.  The value-add of branding and marketing is incredible with the plastic casing, logo, and sparse documentation often increasing prices 300% or more.  

If you're on this forum, obsessed with electronics, can save $10,000 or so, and don't have kids/wife/husband, then I strongly recommend that you save that money and spend a few months in Shenzhen.  In the meantime, it's a good idea to practice your Chinese.  Mine is fairly terrible but it does give me the ability to get around and have basic conversations.  AFAIK (and I've made attempts to seek out other hardware meccas, but have never found anything that is even 1% the size/scope of Shenzhen (not to mention Guangdong province in general) Shenzhen is a truly unique place in the world.  It is a city that since its founding has epitomized the Post-Deng "Open/New China," and as you'll learn if you go, a mindset all its own.  You can find more entrepreneurship and more drive per square kilometer in Shenzhen than anywhere ,and often it feels like I left a chunk of my soul there, too.  

So, Steven, you've been ODMing deeply innovative electronics products for years now, huh?  

Then without knowing it, I've been enjoying your products since about November 2013 and never knew it!  Thanks for your hard work-- while the software may have been incomplete, that changed over time and the BpI is now my go-to board for projects involving docker!

threads

credits

Registered member

credits
Published in 2015-12-31 13:15:04 | Show all floors
Thanks for the writeup. It sounds like an interesting place.
I also am impressed with the number of orangepi boards, and it takes time but the software side seems to be taking care of itself, with lots of help from coders from all over the world.

threads

credits

Novice

credits
Published in 2016-12-8 23:10:38 | Show all floors
Any news?

Use magic report

threads

credits

Novice

credits
Published in 2018-1-2 01:15:40 | Show all floors
I guess not.
After spending half a day trying to get STK1160 (Easycap) USB video capture dongle to work with my old Orange Pi PC and failing,
I have dug out my Orange Pi forum login to say this:

Learned my lesson.
Stay away from
a) Orange Pi boards
b) Allwinner SoC's

Not worth it.
Just get a Raspberry Pi.
You need to log in before you can reply login | Register

Points Rule

Quick reply Top Return list