NO tutorial No community support, Regretting Impulse purchase ORANGEPI PC

[Copy link]

threads

credits

Intermediate member

credits
Published in 2015-12-13 14:35:05 | Show all floors |Read mode
Edited by Manjup at 2015-12-13 15:07

I am a student and I am really really regretting purchasing orangepi PC & orangepi plus.
there are no straight Tutorials for settingup GPIOS,uart similar to Raspberry pi.
For some images Hdmi-dvi, does not work, ethernet does not work, usb does not work.
Most of the wifi devices dont work, dont know usb to serial work or not .

I have wasted too much time on getting the board work otherwise i could have utilised the time to do more productive work or prepare for exams
the return shipping charges are more that the product cost otherwise i could have returned.
there is no straight guide on compiling device drivers. most of the guides are too vauge to understand.

Well i am thinking of reselling or waiting for someone to DONATE the tutorial.
I Hope the money is not wasted, sometime in future there will be tutotials

Raspberry pi was encouraging me towards linux
Orangepi is discouraging me to use the linux.
An imortant lesson learned in life.

threads

credits

Registered member

credits
Published in 2016-1-4 04:22:14 | Show all floors
1. If you're coming to linux, compiling from source using make is something you should know (And if you don't, just ask, the community will help you out)
2. The software support WILL be bad for a while since the H3 is a relatively new SoC

threads

credits

Intermediate member

credits
Published in 2016-1-4 21:09:42 | Show all floors
Edited by makama80 at 2016-1-4 21:16

Eh... Mr. Manjup... I am sorry to say: this was easily to find out upfront. Indicating that you are a student I suppose you have an above average IQ. What I mean is that just by 'Googling' a little bit, browsing the website orangepi.org and this forum it's very very easily to find out what the status of documentation and support is. On top of this I think your reaction is a disgrace for the support community on this forum. IMHO the boards are (more than) great value for money, but need some user attention as well. There are a lot of active users willing to help over here, and there are quite some tutorials in the forums.

By the way: OPI boards are sold as development boards, and this should ring some bells too. Please take this advice from an old man: you get what you pay for. You've payed for the board, but not for the support. Simply impossible for the amount you've payed. I guess your vision was blurred by the dollar signs in your eyes?

threads

credits

Intermediate member

credits
 Author| Published in 2016-1-5 01:03:20 | Show all floors
makama80 replied at 2016-1-4 21:09
Eh... Mr. Manjup... I am sorry to say: this was easily to find out upfront. Indicating that you are  ...

Yes i am a student, i do have above average IQ, the only GRAD student in college who can handel the SBC or credit card computer with python, like Raspberry PI and others like Arduino.

I live in INDIA, where education Education is crappy, well i cant choose where to born and to select super wealthy parents.
My college has the maximum techical course of the 8051,C . no linux , pcb designing etc.
Everything i learned was from google, python, raspberry pi , avr ,lpc on my own. These courses cost like 400$ to 800$ to learn from private institute.
I agree that it my mistake of purchasing (IMPULSE Purchase) of OPI-PC On the day it got release without reading the forums and getting the condition of support and the community.
On the product page it said it run raspbian os.

I DONT APPRECIATE YOUR COMMENT " your reaction is a disgrace for the support community on this forum" I THINK IT WAS A teeny tiny BIT RUDE.
I was struggling to get the board boot when i posted this comment. I had assignments, 12 hrs spend outside my home, piano class, college .
i just got an hour on the internet daily to research on th forum and it was not easy to connects to dots to information to get the board working. reading the loboris others 50-60 pages and hundreds of comment.
Sent PM to most of the users didnt get reply, some gave too vauge reply.
Searching the whole forum and taking notes required whole Saturday and Sunday made the board just boot.
I was unable to find noob like tutorial for the gpio, it was like just "git my link, to gpio.
Use my tarball to compile drivers.
I just started using linux, it was easy on ubuntu to compile the drivers, but i faced a lot problems on OPI-PC.

My dad was also angry when i didnt get the board running and say that i wasted their hard earned money. it was very frustating.
I am not rude to you but  feel that the time i wasted on getting the board was priceless. time is limited

If you have any links to guides or books which i can refer to become a knowlegeable in linux, compiling drivers,  for free till i start earning. that help would be appreciated.
I need to learning direction, what to learn, how much to learn, whcih topics to learn first so i can have a better understanding.
Please mail me your email id via PM

threads

credits

Gold member

credits
Published in 2016-1-5 01:41:42 | Show all floors
Edited by Dima at 2016-1-5 01:43

Most of your complaints are probably image related. Try the Debian build by jacer. They work perfectly. If they don't, try another SD card.
http://www.orangepi.org/orangepi ... =867&extra=page%3D1
This is really the easiest solutions for people that don't have a lot of time on their hands and don't want to compile everything. Then you should first follow tutorials for regular Linux stuff in a VM and then use the same methodology on the Orangepi.

Tutorial:
1) Download image and Win32DiskImager
2) Open Win32DiskImager, select your SD card, select the file, select write
3) Do everything as usual on Linux (following ANY linux tutorial or Raspberry Pi tutorial)

threads

credits

credits
Published in 2016-1-5 01:49:17 | Show all floors
Unfortunately you had bad luck choosing this board. It's not matured, it's not for end users (yet), it's not for noobs. Documentations will exists if community wrote it. It's cheap board without any support, except from people who do this in their free time! Since community is tiny and only one person is doing a little on a buggy factory kernel you just can expect much. There are some people doing mainlining, but it's not ready yet. Even that will solve just some problems.

If you want to learn Linux, better to use some old desktop computer and play with it or go at least for some much much better supported and open hardware product. Spend hours and hours, research ... and stay away from main stream "Linux (bullshit) learning" and boards with high numbers. Those are usually the biggest bullshit.
Published in 2024-2-24 21:04:56 | Show all floors
Swiftly this web site can unquestionably become popular between almost all blogging and site-building folks, due to its meticulous posts or perhaps critiques.        jun88
Published in 2024-3-2 21:37:16 | Show all floors
I do accept as true with all of the ideas you have offered for your post. They’re very convincing and will definitely work. Nonetheless, the posts are very short for newbies. May you please lengthen them a bit from next time? Thank you for the post.        đăng ký 69vn
Published in 2024-3-7 20:54:44 | Show all floors
Hi there! This post could not be written any better! Reading through this post reminds me of my previous room mate! He always kept talking about this. I will forward this article to him. Pretty sure he will have a good read. Thank you for sharing!        facial lifting devices
Published in 2024-3-7 23:02:48 | Show all floors
It is besides an ideal piece of writing i just absolutely cherished contemplating. Its nope day-to-day i just support the successful opportunity to observe an item.        Avaliador Premiado
You need to log in before you can reply login | Register

Points Rule

Quick reply Top Return list