View: 12876|Reply: 8

Orange pi sends the network crazy

[Copy link]

threads

credits

Novice

credits
Published in 2016-2-7 01:44:07 | Show all floors |Read mode
I have an Orange Pi PC and have applied bronco's adapted fex to keep the pi cool.

I have some problems with the pi when i first had it, because it wouldn't recognise the network if it was plugged into my switch, but now that it is plugged in directly to my router the pi recognises the network.

I have installed Debian jessie mini as a headless server with the hope of running Plex server from my NAS to my roku boxes.

I have used the OPI 2 Uimage and script.bin, which I got from the scriptbin.kernel download which I have put in the FAT BOOT partition and also in the LINUX/boot partition.  I noticed that the LINUX partition still had old uimage and script.bin files so I replaced them just to make sure they weren't causing my problem.  I have followed guides elsewhere to install Plex server onto the Opi.

I have installed Plex successfully, and mounted the NAS but just as the Plex is setup, the orange pi starts to upset my network.  Basically, when the pi is running, it disrupts everyelse on the network, so the other computers are unable to access the internet, until I turn the pi off, when the network returns to normal.

The pi is set up on the router to be given a network address that doesn't conflict with anything else on the network.

Does anyone have any idea what might be causing this?

Many thanks

threads

credits

Intermediate member

credits
Published in 2016-2-7 12:41:06 | Show all floors
I feel the same. However mine is Orange Pi One and Android Beelink. After the first install of Android Beelink, I had no access to the internet on Orange Pi One, I followed the instruction, do a full format [with SDFormatter] and re-burn the image, thereafter my Orange Pi One has accessed to the internet. And thereafter I observed what you observed, that I have no access to internet on other devices, that my wireless devices are unable to detect the SSID set in the router, or my wireless devices though connected to the router has no access to the internet.

I have another Orange Pi PC, and I have it installed with Android MMK, I have no such problem, that is my other wireless devices are still able to access internet, even though the Orange Pi PC is up and streaming movies.

Thanks for bringing this up, however I believe this is not just an issue on the Debian image.

threads

credits

Novice

credits
 Author| Published in 2016-2-9 01:05:22 | Show all floors
After trying debian jessie several times, and the network reacting in the same way, have tried with debian wheezy, and so far the network appears to be working fine!

threads

credits

Novice

credits
 Author| Published in 2016-2-12 01:45:56 | Show all floors
Am now running successfully with ubuntu trusty (debian wheezy couldn't run most up to date plex server), so it appears that my problem was only with debian jessie

threads

credits

Novice

credits
Published in 2016-3-13 03:29:48 | Show all floors
Did you ever figure out what caused this problem? Running Loboris Debian Jessie build now without any issues....

threads

credits

Novice

credits
 Author| Published in 2016-3-18 14:56:05 | Show all floors
Hi littleguy, no I never got the bottom of the issue, and don't have the knowledge to, but as wheezy has worked so well I haven't gone back to it.  One thing to bear in mind is that sometimes the board sent the network crazy immediately, other times it took a week, so I posted this up here to hopefully save others from going through the frustration that I did.

I also found that the Orange Pi PC wasn't detected by the network when I used it through a switch, but when connected directly to the router it worked fine.  That was an issue that took me another day to resolve!

threads

credits

Registered member

credits
Published in 2016-4-5 02:32:17 | Show all floors
I too am running Plex Media Server on an Orange Pi PC and began experiencing problems where my LAN and internet connection became almost unusable.  Ping times on the LAN would go up to 3,000+ ms, wireless clients couldn't connect at all, and my router's CPU would get pegged at 100%.

Ultimately, the problem turned out to be with the Plex service itself.  Without shutting the Orange Pi down, if I just stopped the Plex process, everything would clear up and go back to normal.  I believe it's some type of bug in Plex.  From what I could gather, I think it's related to Plex's network discovery function (GDM).  Normally a discovery packet will be sent once every 5 seconds.  But it seems under some conditions, it will start sending them in rapid succession, flooding the network - effectively causing denial of service to other devices on the network.  In my case, I think the Plex service may have been starting before the network interface was ready on the Pi - possibly triggering this behavior.  I modified the Plex startup script to include a 30 second delay before starting the service, and I haven't seen the problem since.

threads

credits

Intermediate member

credits
Published in 2016-12-8 00:55:58 | Show all floors
monkey7m3 replied at 2016-4-5 02:32
I too am running Plex Media Server on an Orange Pi PC and began experiencing problems where my LAN a ...

What's your script code blocks? Can you add here?

threads

credits

Intermediate member

credits
Published in 2016-12-12 19:38:47 | Show all floors
Ok, I edited the /etc/init.d/plexmediaserver file and i added 'delay':  

You need to log in before you can reply login | Register

Points Rule

Quick reply Top Return list