View: 2123|Reply: 38

OrangePi OS v0.0.5_beta

[Copy link]

threads

credits

credits
Published in 2023-2-26 18:33:54 | Show all floors |Read mode
This post was finally edited by bluesman at 2023-2-27 15:03

I have been testing this for a few hours now and have the following feedback.

Generally this is a big improvement over the previous beta.

We have a proper status bar that also auto hides (most of the time) when you neeed it to.

There are a couple more useful apps, like Chrome that are likely to have more functionality or familiarity.

There is a form of control panel on the bottom right, likely having taken inspiration from that on Windows 10.

There is a power button althugh it only has a power off function and not an additional reboot.

There are no HDMI CEC options (as are available in the new TV box OS version).

8K AV1 video plays very well using MX Player, with hardware decoding and 10 bit X265 files also play flawlessly though the same app (Kodi does not play X265 10 bit files yet and demonstrates the green screen, so something for the Kodi devs to look at later on (sending them some boards would help speed development).

Youtube playback through the dedicated Youtube app is not as good as it is under the standard Android OS build, especially at 2160p 60fps where there are a few too many dropped frames.
Playback is actually better though a browser and of the 4 I tried (Chrome, Firefox, Opera and Edge), Edge was the clear winner for 4k playback, with the least dropped frames by far.

Antutu reports a much lower score than that attained with the standard Android 12 build (493000 vs 550000).

When closing an app, it sits in the backgroud as is normal for Android but if you want to revive it and bring it back to ful sceeen, quite often, when you cick on the object, a ciompletely different application opens up (this was a bug in the last beta too).

Be careful when changing the Ui resolution as I uped it from 1080p to 2160p to test and the screen went black. I had to physically pull the plug and then power up in order to get the new resolution and when changng back, nothing happens until you reboot.

But there is one fatal flaw that prevents it's use as a media player and it has to do with the windowing funtionality hat for most of the time sits on top of whatever is playing, preventing full screen playback and this needs to be resolved in order for the OS to be fully viable.

As can be seen on the 4 attached screenshots:

SC1 - This MX Player Pro playing an 8K AV1 encoded file and the lack of full screen playback is clearly evident.
SC2 - This is another file being played in Kodi where you can clearly see the launcher screen in the background as the image has to be fit into a space constrained by having the 2 Android windows icons being perpetually present (which is the same in all instances and the root of the problem).
SC3 - A Youtube video being played in the Chrome browser, where the problem is crystal clear. Also note that the taskbar did not auto hide in this instance.
SC4 - Another shot from the same Chrome video but note that in stats for nerds the viewpoint resolution is 1099x618, which is of course bizzare.

If this windowed issue can be reslved then I would consider it a viable prospect for daily use, with other niggles and features being fixed/added with slightl less priority.

If the dev(s) want to make contact with me then I would be happy to pre test any new images and provide more feedbck.

This thread contains more resources

You need to Log in to download or view,No account?    Register

x

threads

credits

credits
 Author| Published in 2023-2-27 17:11:33 | Show all floors
An additional issue.

The control centre seems to indicate that I have some notifications (there is a number in a small circle) but no matter what I try, including modifying the notification settings, they remain unavailable to view.
Published in 2024-3-25 23:03:44 | Show all floors
Once again, it is easy to see why this is one of the finest blogs on the entire Internet, keep pumping out the great content!        mp4moviez
Published in 2024-3-26 04:05:24 | Show all floors
Dear admin, thanks for providing this blog post. I found it great. Take care,        i9bet
Published in 2024-3-26 11:18:13 | Show all floors
Thank you for this specific info I was basically researching all Yahoo to be able to find it!        Alo789
Published in 2024-3-27 09:40:03 | Show all floors
You really should take part in a contest personally of the best blogs on the internet. I most certainly will recommend this page!        補習中介
Published in 2024-3-27 11:25:30 | Show all floors
Appreciate it for this post, I am a big fan of this website would like to keep updated.        Sakti188
Published in 2024-3-27 12:34:55 | Show all floors
Then using a razor, begin in the top rated plus shave lower with all the grain fostering in the backside : it’s recommended to take precisely what you’re executing using a modest reflect.        https://w9bet.website/
Published in 2024-3-28 02:58:25 | Show all floors
Precisely  what I was  searching  for,  appreciate it for  putting up.        đăng nhập s689
Published in 2024-3-28 10:18:57 | Show all floors
Awesome! I appreciate your contribution to this matter. It has been useful. my blog: how to impress a girl        Link đăng nhập NOHU90
You need to log in before you can reply login | Register

Points Rule

Quick reply Top Return list