[Copy link]

threads

credits

Novice

credits
Published in 2016-11-11 19:16:45 | Show all floors |Read mode
I am the author of the Stratum 1 Microserver HOWTO

http://www.catb.org/esr/faqs/stratum-1-microserver-howto/

As I note at the beginning of the latest revision, I've had to give up on Raspbian because they keep breaking their serial and 1PPS interfaces.  I'm hoping for better from the OrangePi.

Does OrangePi Ubuntu have direct access to the hardware serial UART, and a working pps-gpio driver?

threads

credits

Novice

credits
Published in 2016-11-15 22:25:20 | Show all floors
Hello esr!  Although I cannot assist directly with your question, I signed up (and waited for account verification) specifically to comment on your question

Actually, your HOWTO page inspired me lately to purchase a Ublox GPS with a PPS pin option, so that I can do what you described (still has not yet arrived from Aliexpress).  I currently have a non-PPS Ublox GPS attached to an R Pi, where it is working great -- just as a GPS location monitor.  

I also have a few ESP8266 devices as alternatives -- but I am not (yet) aware of any options to act as a 'stratum 1' timeserver on that platform.

Finally, I also have an NTC 'C.H.I.P' kickstarter board (similar to an R Pi) -- but it currently has an annoying obstacle to my use of it (under Debian) as a GPS-connected device -- the console boot messages interfere with the GPS time/location/status messages on the UART, and there isn't (currently) an easy way to turn them off (as can be done on R Pi)!

So, I end up in a similar position that you do i.e. looking for an inexpensive  developer board that can do the GPS things (like stratum 1 time serving) that I want it to do -- and I am also looking at Orange Pi devices.  

If you are not already aware, I recommend that you interact with the 'Armbian' folks on their Orange Pi forums -- they may be better equipped and communicative on these issues.  Armbian might be a better Linux platform in any case for what you/I want to do.  Do you need a link?
You need to log in before you can reply login | Register

Points Rule

Quick reply Top Return list