please choosego to mobile | Continue to access the PC version
Return to list Post new posts
Author: BryanFRitt

8GB EMMC Flash in Orange Pi Plus, How can I use it?

[Copy link]

threads

credits

Registered member

credits
Published in 2015-8-13 14:13:00 | Show all floors
Could someone please clear up a misunderstanding I may have here?

I understand that the Orange Pi Plus has 8GB eMMC, not NAND. The difference is that NAND is managed by OS drivers that take care of the wear leveling and block erasure (such as MTD and JFFS under linux), whereas eMMC is embedded MMC where the flash controller is part of the module and takes care of the wear leveling and block erasure. This leaves a much simpler task for the OS to manage, and it should appear almost identical to SD cards.

Is this correct? If so, I assume that the binary-only libnand in the SDK is not relevant to this board, and that it would only be relevant to an H3 board that had NAND flash controlled directly by the SoC.

If my understanding of NAND vs eMMC is correct, does this mean that addressing the eMMC from u-boot and the linux kernel should be very similar to addressing the SD card? The implementation should be similar?

Thanks.

threads

credits

Registered member

credits
Published in 2015-8-13 14:14:01 | Show all floors

Hi Steven,

This was 3 months ago. I have my Orange Pi Plus boards now (three of them). Is this new kernel port ready yet?
Thanks,
Cam

threads

credits

Registered member

credits
 Author| Published in 2015-8-16 03:41:20 | Show all floors
camh replied at 2015-8-13 14:14
Hi Steven,

This was 3 months ago. I have my Orange Pi Plus boards now (three of them). Is this ne ...

I haven't tried any of these(, at least yet.) If you've tried, did it work? What results did you get?

Directions on how to move to EMMC, post 105 (guessing the updated OS(not old one) needs to be installed to the card first)
http://www.orangepi.org/orangepi ... age%3D1&page=11

Looks like a site to get Ubuntu, or Debian images for this:
http://www.igorpecovnik.com/2015/01/18/orange-pi-debian-sd-image/

The links to download from http://www.orangepi.org/downloaded/download.html say they're the 0.9 version, but then point to a 0.8 file.

threads

credits

credits
Published in 2015-8-16 05:07:28 | Show all floors
Boards:
orangepi plus, olinuxino A20, cubieboard A10, mele A2000 .....

threads

credits

Registered member

credits
Published in 2015-8-16 17:34:12 | Show all floors
BryanFRitt replied at 2015-8-16 03:41
I haven't tried any of these(, at least yet.) If you've tried, did it work? What results did you get?

I am not after images, but kernel sources. I intend to build my own images with buildroot.

The kernel available for these boards is 3.4. When zhao_steven says "New kernel is porting.", I was hoping for something newer than 3.4. Perhaps I am hoping for too much and will have to figure out how to mainline Orange Pi Plus support myself. I was not expecting that "Orange pi is an open-source hardware product." was just lip service to open source.
Return to list Post new posts
You need to log in before you can reply login | Register

Points Rule

Quick reply Top Return list