please choosego to mobile | Continue to access the PC version
View: 2969|Reply: 0

Help me choose a distro to use/support/develop for...

[Copy link]

threads

credits

Registered member

credits
Published in 2017-1-7 02:10:12 | Show all floors |Read mode
So, i bougth a orange pi pc for 3 reasons:
  • Work as a console emulator/media box for my television
  • Provide a computer functional enough to everyday taks, like watching a video, see facebook, read documents, etc
  • Work on personal projects
I tried to use the official OS, but it simply didn't work. All the tutorials that i found pointed to some obscure program that even fails to show letters on its interface from a outdated version. And even when i manage to circuvent all this, the image simply do not boot. I tougth that was because of my 2GB card, but even when i got a 16GB card, it still didn't worked out.

I used to this point a openelec version. I was happy with its interface, its support to remote controls and small size of the image. However, since the maximmum resoltution of my tv was not 1080p, i had to comply with a poor quality, compressed image. I even tried to develop a patch to solve this problem, but them, the developer halted the project. There is no point in develop something for a thing that will not recieve futher updates. Besides, retroarch didn't worked very well(no sound).

So now, i'm searching for a distro where i can do all the things i pointed out above OR a distro where i can do 1 and 2, and another distro only for my projects. As you can see, I'm willing to actually develop pacth and fix bugs that annoy's me, but i can't really take on the challenge to support a distro myself. I'm trying retrorangepi to provide 1 and 2, but it doesn't seem that they have support to custom resolutions display neither seems that the code is available to anyone(or is it). Besides, since i want to work on hardware projects, a solid support for the I/O capabilities of the machine is need, but it doesn't seems that this is a priority to them.

TLDR: i need a distro with public available code in active development that support emulators, videoplayers and internet bowser. I also need a distro that offers good support to all the I/O operations orangepi pcas well theirs "accessories", has a easy to develop and deploy setup for a beginner in linux. If i can have booth in the same, its even better!!!

Thanks.

You need to log in before you can reply login | Register

Points Rule

Quick reply Top Return list