Orange topped pi

[Copy link]

threads

credits

Intermediate member

credits
Published in 2015-2-14 06:33:53 | Show all floors |Read mode
Edited by KingNyx at 2015-2-14 06:40

Hello everyone! My name is Peter and currently I am working in a non-profit oragnization that runs as the rural area's ISP.
There doesnt appear to be lots of followers on this forum for orange pi, so im hoping to help get some more acknowledgement and support for this single board computer.

So firstly, what is my project, and what is that projects intended goal?
A budget customized laptop based off the orange pi computing board is the project. Im calling it: Orange topped pi.
The goal of the projet will be creating a tutorial, that not only explains in detail with pictures the entire process, but also lists the materials, theory, AND costs as little as possible.
So firstly, why Orange pi? Well the reason I want to use orange pi is because of its hardware. It has an integrated wifi module, and a SATA interface. Meaning it is perfect for designing a small form factor notebook, while still being able to use desktop drives like HDD and SSD without trying to run off a usb 2.0 interface.
Currently notebooks arent modifiable in any way. No overclocking, cant add customized hardware, and the screen is one size. Nothing is changeable

If the Orange pi developers are willing to send a board out to help with the development then I will be able to start right away.

I've already line up a parts list. It will be editted as I go, and I plan to do updates as I move towards completeing the project.  For example the case material will change constantly. The cooling for the orange pi board may change throughout. I will update each change, explain the reasons, and show what I did to back track and make the new design.

For now I will leave the list of current parts I am looking at.

http://www.aliexpress.com/snapsh ... erId=65835924071238

http://www.amazon.com/UltraFire- ... rging/dp/B003NHC7DA

http://www.amazon.com/Ultrafire- ... =pd_bxgy_misc_img_y (approximately 4 packs of 2)

http://www.amazon.ca/AmazonBasic ... apter/dp/B00DQFGH80

Picking the DC-DC converters will have to wait until I find out with Orange pi is willing to donate a board.

But basically the laptop for Version 1 will be powered by removable LION batteries (same type found in laptop packs)  run with series of 4 in parrellel (once again depending on conversion rates and whether or not the 7 inch screen will accept 5vDC)

I am applying for a single Orange Pi board.

The project is of course open source. The community will find them under this thread, as well as a website that will created based on the followers of the project at the end of the project.

For now thats it!

Published in 2015-2-19 07:41:55 | Show all floors
Welcome to join Orange Pi community. Thank you.

threads

credits

Intermediate member

credits
 Author| Published in 2015-2-21 02:49:03 | Show all floors
zhao_steven replied at 2015-2-19 07:41
Welcome to join Orange Pi community. Thank you.

Are you part of the development team? Or just in charge of the forum itself? Thanks for the greeting!
Published in 2015-2-21 10:03:28 | Show all floors
I'm  part of the development team.

threads

credits

Intermediate member

credits
 Author| Published in 2015-2-25 01:53:13 | Show all floors
Oh Alright, is orange pi still giving open source developers testing boards?
Published in 2015-3-1 04:20:20 | Show all floors
Yes.

Use magic report

threads

credits

Intermediate member

credits
 Author| Published in 2015-3-5 04:05:55 | Show all floors
How exactly would I go about applying for a board?

threads

credits

Registered member

credits
Published in 2015-3-5 13:54:57 | Show all floors

threads

credits

Intermediate member

credits
 Author| Published in 2015-3-6 06:28:21 | Show all floors
Yes, I read through that (Thanks btw Johan). As far as my understanding of it went, when I made this I had already answered the questions. The poll doesnt make any sense, due to the fact it has no reason to be made. What question would I even have in the poll? So is it even necessary?

Then it says its based on posts and support, but there is only a handful in the community at all?

There is a chance im just missing something,  but what else am I suppose to do to get the sample? Who asks for my address and when?

Would it be possible to hear a time frame? Since I have the materials to start doing the project besides the board itself.

threads

credits

Intermediate member

credits
 Author| Published in 2015-3-13 03:14:25 | Show all floors
For now i'm closing my project.
Cant wait around forever for a board(I mean a can, but I want to at least know how long im going to wait), plus the forum seems very limited as far as actual development staff.

I wish everyone the best of luck and I hope Orange pi support is further along when I decide to give it a try again.  For now i'm going to continue the project with a RPI-2 board.

Project Suspended.
You need to log in before you can reply login | Register

Points Rule

Quick reply Top Return list