Solar powered embedded system

[Copy link]

threads

credits

Registered member

credits
Published in 2015-2-19 13:36:12 | Show all floors |Read mode
I am currently working on two different projects:

1.        A cluster system currently based on 6 Raspberry Pi B, currently on standby due to the priority of the second project;

2.        An embedded road/street  solution that aim at collecting and interpreting real-time traffic data from multiple road sensors (incl CCTV, Radar, loops, laser detector and Bluetooth) to generate an overall real-time regional network traffic forecast. This system is powered by solar panel, to remove the reliance of existing infrastructure (especially on “rural” area). If successful, we potentially are looking at the deployment of more than 1000 of those systems throughout the NSW region.
The system is based on 2 single board computers, one for data acquisition, and the second for data computing and transfer. Tests with 2 Raspberry Pi were successful, but shown some limitations (especially processing power, and Ethernet speed), hence the need for a more powerful board. After some research, 2 Orange Pi Plus, based on the specs provided on the website seems to be the best candidates for a test run. However, at the time only the Orange Pi and Orange Pi mini were available. .

Cheers.

Kerm

threads

credits

Intermediate member

credits
Published in 2015-2-21 02:51:14 | Show all floors
This sounds like an interesting project. How are you planning to get the data from your boards collected? Integrating cellphone parts and a sim chip? Or have wifi around deployment areas?
Published in 2015-2-21 10:12:00 | Show all floors
Very good. you need wait orange pi plus for about 30 days. Are you OK?

threads

credits

Registered member

credits
 Author| Published in 2015-2-21 20:11:18 | Show all floors
KingNyx replied at 2015-2-21 02:51
This sounds like an interesting project. How are you planning to get the data from your boards colle ...

It depend on the location and devices, there is PLC network in major urban infrastructure (tunnel, bridge) so Ethernet, in some remote area collection can be through fibre/wifi/3G or usb in one case at least...

threads

credits

Registered member

credits
 Author| Published in 2015-2-21 20:13:22 | Show all floors
zhao_steven replied at 2015-2-21 10:12
Very good. you need wait orange pi plus for about 30 days. Are you OK?

Hello, we have another board to test in the meantime, so yes sure we can wait 30 days.
Will you let me know when it is available?

Cheers,

Kerm

threads

credits

Intermediate member

credits
Published in 2015-2-25 01:52:06 | Show all floors
Ahhh that makes sense, at least the infrastructure is there.

Another question I planned to ask, do you plan to program the software manually to have it decide how much traffic its seeing in the cameras?

threads

credits

Registered member

credits
 Author| Published in 2015-2-26 15:23:08 | Show all floors
KingNyx replied at 2015-2-25 01:52
Ahhh that makes sense, at least the infrastructure is there.

Another question I planned to ask, do ...

Hi Mate,

In this particular case (CCTV) we are using AVID cameras, that will provide us with the traffic data directly. Basically, the cameras are already programmed.

Cheers,

Kerm
Published in 2015-4-23 16:27:11 | Show all floors
@Kerm  free sample is ok.

threads

credits

Registered member

credits
Published in 2016-6-28 03:24:16 | Show all floors
Any news for this project...¿

threads

credits

Novice

credits
Published in 2020-12-12 22:04:02 | Show all floors
That sounds interesting. This Raspberry Pi project is a huge step forward for solar powered embedded systems.
I'm also researching and developing a Raspberry Pi controller for solar panels in the university. Read this if you are interested.
I will be glad to talk on solar panel software!
You need to log in before you can reply login | Register

Points Rule

Quick reply Top Return list