OrangePI (H3) TOR anonymizing / I2P middlebox

[Copy link]

threads

credits

Novice

credits
Published in 2016-3-7 19:31:40 | Show all floors |Read mode
Hello everyone!

I've made a quite simple project, which turns your OrangePI PC (H3) to a TOR/I2P middlebox.
URL: https://github.com/znoxx/torbox

After installing, you will be able to use internet via TOR and access i2p websites by utilizing new WiFi Access Point. It creates you new WiFi network.
It also bundled with WEB GUI, which allows you some basic operations, like mode switching, reboot, etc.
Couple of WiFi adapters are supported out-of-the-box - 8188eu and mt7601(ap mode).

Requirements:
  • OrangePi PC (H3)
  • 2 GB sd card (or may be 4GB)
  • Compatible wifi dongle (see above) - but virtually any dongle with AP support will work, of course, if you have drivers.
  • Ethernet connection with DHCP to give OPi "initial" internet to anonymize

Plans:
  • Test on OrangePI mini (my board on it's way)
  • Add support to canonical Raspberry Pi. Need to build drivers (at least)

Know issues:
  • Error messages during TOR installation from debian repository (it's normal since system tries to clean-up previous TOR) - can be ignored
  • Installation process is quite long, since requires a lot of downloads.

Please follow README on GitHUB to avoid any issues.

Russian translation of readme coming, will update when it will be available.

threads

credits

Novice

credits
 Author| Published in 2016-3-8 00:01:48 | Show all floors
Russian description: http://znoxx.me/tor-i2p-middlebox/

threads

credits

Registered member

credits
Published in 2016-10-16 18:57:23 | Show all floors
I tried this for the 2E and the ethernet does not work, I guess I need to find a driver and install it, but how? Any directions would be helpful

threads

credits

Registered member

credits
Published in 2016-10-21 04:21:50 | Show all floors
I have also tried to adapt my own image to this purpose with no success.. Please help  

threads

credits

Forum patriarch

credits
Published in 2016-11-13 03:48:20 | Show all floors
Hi,
Did anyone test to use a android mobile connected via usb and tethering and the local network of the OPI PC connected to the LAN?
I just ordered my OPI PC and just want to brainstrom a bit before it arrives ;)
Please click on reply when answering direct to me. That way I get a notification ;)

"Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety."
                                  Benjamin Franklin 1755

threads

credits

Novice

credits
 Author| Published in 2016-12-29 19:56:38 | Show all floors
oggstar replied at 2016-10-16 18:57
I tried this for the 2E and the ethernet does not work, I guess I need to find a driver and install  ...

Hi oggstar.
2E is not officially supported by this project.
Only devices listed are tested.

threads

credits

Novice

credits
 Author| Published in 2016-12-29 19:58:47 | Show all floors
Tina replied at 2016-11-13 03:48
Hi,
Did anyone test to use a android mobile connected via usb and tethering and the local network of ...

Hi Tina
I guess, it depends on drivers included in kernel.
Not sure what exact driver needed to use with android in usb tethering mode.

threads

credits

Forum patriarch

credits
Published in 2016-12-30 14:11:02 | Show all floors
Thanks znoxx

For openWRT you need the basic USB packages installed and then the packages for USB tethering.

You can either install them via a terminal console like in the links or via luci with http login and there on System/Software.

Those are some driver modules, which are loaded into the kernel on demand without being compiled into it. Further you have some utilities there.
I have a Huawei HG556a router running openWRT and that runs perfect tethering my internet of my android mobile to the LAN.

Unfortunately the required packages for the Orange(Allwinner) with openWRT are not all available :/
I would work on that, but have no idea how to write/update those

I found the following pages how to use a openWRT platform with tor and privoxy:
[url=]
openWRT forum[/url] (English)

Please click on reply when answering direct to me. That way I get a notification ;)

"Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety."
                                  Benjamin Franklin 1755

threads

credits

Forum patriarch

credits
Published in 2016-12-30 14:17:12 | Show all floors
Edited by Tina at 2016-12-30 14:35

Thanks znoxx

For openWRT you need the basic USB packages installed and then the packages for USB tethering.

You can either install them via a terminal console like in the links or via luci with http login and there on System/Software.

Those are some driver modules, which are loaded into the kernel on demand without being compiled into it. Further you have some utilities there.
I have a Huawei HG556a router running openWRT and that runs perfect tethering my internet of my android mobile to the LAN.

Unfortunately the required packages for the Orange(Allwinner) with openWRT are not all available :/
I would work on that, but have no idea how to write/update those

I found the following pages how to use a openWRT platform with tor and privoxy:

I use the solution sugested by Sven as this does the 'trick' for me.

My intention was to use the Orange PI as middle box with tor and to have an easy way to change the exit node. But to work on this I will have to wait for the openWRT packages to be available.  

Benjamin Franklin 1755
You need to log in before you can reply login | Register

Points Rule

Quick reply Top Return list