View: 4157|Reply: 2

SD image with custom partitioning scheme?

[Copy link]

threads

credits

Novice

credits
Published in 2016-4-7 16:42:14 from mobile | Show all floors |Read mode
Is there any way I can create an SD card image with customized partitioning? I'd like to have a card with a small FAT32 partition for purposes of data transfer, but all the downloads I've seen just seem to create a new partition table on the device without giving any choice about layout. I have a desktop linux system available that I could use to perform the partitoning, and have no objections to getting my hands dirty at a low level, but I don't really know enough about how uboot works on these systems to just do it myself.

threads

credits

Registered member

credits
Published in 2016-4-11 21:48:24 | Show all floors
@Jules ... depend on which uboot you are refering.
If we are talking about loboris images, then you can copy the 1st 20MB from that image to something like : loboris-uboot.bin (using dd for example, dd if=loboris.img of=loboris-uboot.bin bs=1024 count=20480).
After that, create your own FAT starting from sector 40960 (512 byte/sector) with your needed size. Then create your ext2/ext4 partition directly after that FAT partition. After you format all of them, copy loboris-uboot.bin to unused area .. dd if=loboris-uboot.bin of=/dev/sdb

(after that you have to copy uImage and script.bin to the FAT partition, and linux rootfs image to the ext partition).

Hope is it helpful.

threads

credits

Intermediate member

credits
Published in 2016-4-7 19:48:04 | Show all floors
@Jules
A graphical tool for repartitioning sdcards on your linux system is gparted.
You need to log in before you can reply login | Register

Points Rule

Quick reply Top Return list