OPi PC, Openelec and temperature ?

[Copy link]

threads

credits

Novice

credits
Published in 2016-6-1 15:12:29 | Show all floors |Read mode
Hello,

First of all thank you a lot to jernej for providing those images for Openelec on OPI. It is one of the main things that really make this board useful to people. I installed it yesterday and it went perfectly well.

I'm however surprised by the temperature of the box. The OPi PC is in the Orange pi standard box. Running Openelec at idle (no film, no music), the box gets hot (between warm and hot): I would say 50  to 60 degC feeling for the hand touching the box.

What is the CPUfreq set-up in Openelec (I hope not overclocked and limited to 1200 MHz) ?

Is this temperature normal? If yes, can it be sustained on a 24/7 basis ? Is there a sleep/reduced consumption mode ?

Are there some elements to check, to confirm that the device runs in normal and acceptable conditions?

Must the box be discarded, and the board be used "bare"?

I must say that I want to avoid needing a fan. I have no heatsink, and would be happy to stay like this (and heatsink should not be expected to be too efficient inside an almost closed box)

Thanks a lot for your help about learning how to use the Pi PC/openelec combo in reliable conditions.

Jest regards,

JM

threads

credits

Gold member

credits
Published in 2016-6-1 16:13:44 | Show all floors
1) You can check the CPU temperature in device status (settings).
2) CPUFreq depends on the board, it's indeed set at 1200Mhz.
3) It's always recommended to put a (small) heatsink on the Orangepi. The one of the raspberry pi should be enough. Though a larger heatsink is advised (if possible)
4) There is a sleep mode, though you need to wake it up through the power button on the device itself.
5) Does your box have ventilation holes? Then you should be fine.
6) No fan needed, but a (small) heatsink + ventilation through the box is really useful.

threads

credits

Novice

credits
 Author| Published in 2016-6-1 17:16:20 | Show all floors
Thank you for the quick answer,

So I understand that the heatsink may be effective even inside the box. I'll try to add something.

The box is the one sold by Orange Pi (http://fr.aliexpress.com/store/p ... 71_32669066552.html). It seems to have some ventilation slot, but a bit complex shape and small (in thethickness of the top wall). Would somebody have some experience with those boxes and provide some feedback about if ventilation of those boxes is sufficient or not ?

JMF

threads

credits

Gold member

credits
Published in 2016-6-1 17:25:38 | Show all floors
I actually think that the ventilation of these boxes are really not sufficient. But a heatsink will still help a lot, as there's still a way for air to get in/out.

threads

credits

Novice

credits
 Author| Published in 2016-6-1 18:45:16 | Show all floors
Ok, I'll add a heatsink, AND drill holes on the top of the box, over the H3 area.

JMF

threads

credits

Novice

credits
Published in 2016-6-1 18:56:00 | Show all floors
Does jernej's OpenElec img work on yours Opi?
Mine boot distro and aftear few seconds turns off.
So i edited opipc.fex file and now work until i try to install some addon from internet, the it already turns off.
I'm using 2 heatsink and fan.
Please, tell me your configurations.
I'm hopless!!

threads

credits

Gold member

credits
Published in 2016-6-1 20:13:05 | Show all floors
I think you're having issues with a power supply?

threads

credits

Novice

credits
Published in 2016-6-1 20:58:34 | Show all floors
Dima replied at 2016-6-1 20:13
I think you're having issues with a power supply?

I use a PSP power supply (5V, 2A), like requirements. You think can be for this?

threads

credits

Gold member

credits
Published in 2016-6-1 21:33:25 | Show all floors
It's mentioned many times: PSP power supplies are no good. I use a (good quality) USB power supply with a USB->DC cable and another 5V 2A power supply. Both work fine.

threads

credits

Novice

credits
 Author| Published in 2016-6-2 00:58:20 | Show all floors
Mine seems to work fine. It booted without any issue, and stayed on for several hours. I just browed the menues up to now...

I use the Orange Pi power supply
You need to log in before you can reply login | Register

Points Rule

Quick reply Top Return list