View: 17064|Reply: 17

temperature too hot

[Copy link]

threads

credits

Novice

credits
Published in 2016-11-24 18:33:15 | Show all floors |Read mode
Hi everybody, i've installed on sd card openelec development version for orangepione but the temperature is 60-70 c° when i see infosystem, my orangepione has also 3 heatsinks, isn't too high the temperature? thanks

threads

credits

credits
Published in 2016-11-25 03:06:04 | Show all floors
Maybe I should write more about temperature on one place.

There are a lot of different factors which have impact on temperature. In no particular order and not complete:
- Ambient temperature
- SoC characteristics
- PCB design
- voltage & frequency settings
- enclosure
- cooler
- software

Ambient temperature is easy - in summer, you will read out higher SoC temperature than in winter (let's put aside air conditioning)

Surely you have no influence in next two, except when you are deciding what to buy. Lets make HW comparison between OPi One and OPi Plus 2E. One has small PCB means smaller radiator, which means less heat dissipated. Plus 2E has much larger PCB which means that board acts as a pretty good cooler. Of course, PCB designer could screw up things here, but IMO Xunlong has done pretty good job. I also heard that integrated ethernet in SoC is not good for thermal characteristics (not sure how much influence this really has). One uses integrated ethernet phy, whereas Plus 2E has external ehternet phy.

Next, core voltage & frequency settings. You have to do a lot of testing to find (near) optimal settings. Fortunatelly, tkaiser from Armbian forum did a lot of tests here. But still, if you have One, you have only two core voltage settings, while Plus 2E has possibility to set voltages in steps of few mV, so you don't need to overvoltage cores when there is no demand. Fortunatelly, OE is capable of using HW decoding, so most of the time, CPU doesn't do much. I tested 4K H265 video and cores were at lowest setting (480 MHz) all the time. MPEG4 video needed a bit higher clocks in the average, but it was still at the lowest setting some time. This means that Plus 2E profits again here.

Enclosures and coolers... Well, if you don't have much experiences, you can quickly make a mistake with enclosure. Vent holes must be the right size and in the right places. I don't have enough experience here, so I don't use them. Coolers are good to have, but again, you must be careful how you attach them. Too thick thermal paste or air bubles and you are actually in a worse position.

And last, but not least - software. Software surely represents some workload. So you can make board cooler just by closing some demanding programs. But the system is not useful much if you don't have any program running. OE is often compared to Armbian in regards of temperature. I'm trying to use same tricks for lowering temperature as Armbian, but use case is completely different. So if you are doing a comparison, at least try to make same workload. In this case, run Kodi on both systems (home screen is enough) and only then compare temperature. There are also some software settings, which influence might end temperature. Disabling RSS feeds definetly brings lower temperature in a home screen.

Oh, and SoC highest junction temperature is 125°C, which means you are ok with some safety margin till around 100°C. But of course, in general, lower temperature means longer lifetime. 70°C is certainly not optimal, but manageable.

P.S.: If you find some reasonable change which would help lowering temperatures, please tell me. I found out that I must sync at least cooler table with Armbian.

threads

credits

Intermediate member

credits
Published in 2016-11-26 18:04:33 | Show all floors
Hi
One other thing I noticed:
Since the CPU and GPU are in the same chip it is when you use both to their limits that it gets really hot.
This may be the case for other integrated functions too like Ethernet and USB.
In my case I thought I improved too much the cooling until I tried to play a video at the same time
than another CPU intensive task.
Passive cooling also adds a lot of inertia and it is a good idea to monitor the current of the power supply
keeping in mind that all power transforms into heat at the end except the small part radiated by WIFI
and used by USB devices .

threads

credits

Registered member

credits
Published in 2016-12-9 16:50:32 | Show all floors
I have issue with temperature too.

1. Turn on OPi PC Plus.
2. Play nothing. System idle. Average temperature about 47-50 degrees.
3. Play heavy video. Average temperature about 60-65 degrees.
4. Stop playback. After some time average temperature return to about 47-50 degrees.
5. After some time of idle average temperature rises to about 80 degrees and stays at this level constantly. And at same time I can see that Kodi process create heavy load to CPU.
6. Play heavy video. Average temperature about 60-65 degrees.
7. Stop playback. After some time average temperature return to about 80 degrees.
8. Reboot OPi PC Plus to cool it down.

I believe it not because of heat sink or ambient temperature.
Orange Pi PC Plus [OpenELEC 7.0]
Orange Pi One [Armbian 5.23]

threads

credits

Registered member

credits
Published in 2016-12-9 16:52:25 | Show all floors

1. Turn on OPi PC Plus.
2. Play nothing. System idle. Average temperature about 47-50 degrees.
3. Play heavy video. Average temperature about 60-65 degrees.
4. Stop playback. After some time average temperature return to about 47-50 degrees.
5. After some time of idle average temperature rises to about 80 degrees and stays at this level constantly. And at same time I can see that Kodi process create heavy load to CPU.
6. Play heavy video. Average temperature about 60-65 degrees.
7. Stop playback. After some time average temperature return to about 80 degrees.
8. Reboot OPi PC Plus to cool it down.

I believe it not because of heat sink or ambient temperature.

threads

credits

credits
Published in 2016-12-10 00:15:37 | Show all floors
grymster replied at 2016-12-9 09:52

1. Turn on OPi PC Plus.

Please check if there is any additional task running with "top" and "ps aux" commands.

threads

credits

Registered member

credits
Published in 2016-12-12 05:32:55 | Show all floors
jernej replied at 2016-12-9 19:15
Please check if there is any additional task running with "top" and "ps aux" commands.

Please see attached file with "ps aux" output.

This thread contains more resources

You need to Log in to download or view,No account?    Register

x

threads

credits

Registered member

credits
Published in 2016-12-12 15:18:33 | Show all floors

Also I'm concerned about number of threads of Kodi itself.

threads

credits

Registered member

credits
Published in 2016-12-12 22:13:59 | Show all floors

Update for previous posts.
Data when temp was about 83 degrees Celsius.

This thread contains more resources

You need to Log in to download or view,No account?    Register

x

threads

credits

credits
Published in 2016-12-13 04:37:23 | Show all floors
Nothing really weird. Kodi uses a lot of threads internally. However, I'm not sure if such amount of task is normal or not. You can compare to Raspberry Pi or other supported board, if you have one. You can try to unplug all non essential HW like all USB devices, disable wifi, etc. and check temperature in HW info menu. It is hard to detect what might be wrong, given that it can be Kodi, CedarX libraries (which have no source) or kernel...
You need to log in before you can reply login | Register

Points Rule

Quick reply Top Return list