View: 15208|Reply: 5

Orange Pi Zero WIFI issue with Debian Server OS

[Copy link]

threads

credits

Novice

credits
Published in 2016-11-29 12:51:43 | Show all floors |Read mode
Hi,Recently I bought a Orange Pi Zero  512M, installed system Debian server Wheezy. After I finished the system installation, adjust rootfs size, I set the file /etc/interfaces about WiFI configuration like SSID, key, I reboot the system, it failed to initialize WIFI, I used ifconfig, I can see wifi MAC,but I can't find the IP address, I run /etc/init.d/networking restart and then I can see it got IP address, but when I reboot it, then the WIFI may changed to wlan1, not default wlan0, so it can not work again, I have to change the configuration in /etc/interfaces, and run /etc/init.d/networking again to restart the WIFI.

Does any one know what wrong about it?

threads

credits

credits
Published in 2016-11-29 13:28:05 | Show all floors
MAC address is changing ...

1. MACADDR=$(printf 'DC:44:6D:%02X:%02X:%02X\n' $[RANDOM%256] $[RANDOM%256] $[RANDOM%256])
  2. echo "options xradio_wlan macaddr=${MACADDR}" >/etc/modprobe.d/xradio_wlan.conf
Copy code

or use Armbian where all thing works out of the box.

threads

credits

Novice

credits
 Author| Published in 2016-11-29 20:52:25 | Show all floors
Hi,igorpec,

Thanks for your quickly reply, I'm not sure what you mentioned, I tried to check my MAC address in /etc/modprobe.d/xradio_wlan.conf, it looks OK.

You mean I need to type the code you paste into system?

I tried but it is not solve it, I don't know much about linux detail.

About Armbian, I tried yesterday evening, the version is jessie, but for China, the Mirror website only have Wheezy arm version. so it is very slow to update over sea if I used jessie version.
The armbian works good on WIFI. but it looks more slow than debian server provided by orange pi company. I don't know why.

threads

credits

Novice

credits
 Author| Published in 2016-12-3 19:03:29 | Show all floors
I go back to Armbian after I found solution about update mirror, it is more easily to setup wireless, unfortunately there is no much document about how to setup it, thanks search engine. at last, I read the /etc/netfaces, found nmtui could set it directly, and it works too.

thanks for Armbian team 's work and contribution.

threads

credits

credits
Published in 2016-12-3 20:01:59 | Show all floors
Speed is probably related to enabled power management ... we will disable it in one of next releases, but currently you need to add this to autostart

1. iwconfig wlan0 power off
Copy code

threads

credits

Novice

credits
Published in 2017-1-19 21:26:18 | Show all floors
Hello,

I'm also experiencing a lot of trouble with the wifi speed of my orange pi zero 512MB.
With the the debian image of armbian it's not the problem to connect to the wifi (Fritzbox 7490), but the speed is just about 1 mbit/s all the time.
I also tried a better wifi antenna which doesn't improve the speed at all..
Disabling the power managment with iwconfig wlan0 power off doesn't improves the speed, too.

It's a pity because the most interesting thing about the opi zero is the cability of having wifi.
I read some posts in the armbian forum and I think it's probably because of the wifi driver.

Do you have any other idea how to improve the speed?
Thank you in advance!
You need to log in before you can reply login | Register

Points Rule

Quick reply Top Return list