Orange Pi PC for streaming media and little storage server

[Copy link]

threads

credits

Novice

credits
Published in 2017-1-8 22:23:00 | Show all floors |Read mode
Hi there,

I've received for christmass a little present with orange pi pc.
Since I've some time to deal with it I tried to install Android and Kodi but I have experienced some problems.

1. Android is running slow - I have no experience with single board computers and I'm not aware if this is normal, but the android that is here in forum is running slow. I'm usign class 10 micro SD card which I thing is high end. Where is the problem? Kodi is running really fast! Does anyone use it for video playing is it good for this? What is the bounderies for video quality?
2. I want to secure my external hdd from beeing affected by crypto virus, is there any powerful option in android and do I have to make certain setting to deal with security?
3. I cannot find is there any option for Kodi to read subtitles and how can I change the settings eventially to read proper cyrillic chars correct?
4. Is there any option to start the device on LAN, because I'll not use it every day and there is no need to run 24/7
5. I have bought little heatsing (ceramique) for cooling the cpu, but when it is running it gets hot and I'm not sure when I start movie isn't it going to overheat. Can I put larger heatsing and does anyone did it already?

I'm beginner and some of this questions may be answered somewhere but I didn't found anything in specific!

Thank you in advance!
Sorry for my bad English, but it is not my native language...

threads

credits

Forum patriarch

credits
Published in 2017-1-11 14:27:59 | Show all floors
IMHO the OrangePI's are not able to work as storage server: they lack the necessary data throughput. But if you are OK with that low performance the best would be to use a external HDD via USB solely on one USB port. I am sorry but I cannot answer your question to the security software.

Further I think android is ATM one of the worst OSes to use. I personally use armbian and openELEC of theRetrOranePI image. I have no problems with overheating, ATM I use my OrangePI PC as streaming device on Kodi @ my 1080p/i  TV. I use a ceramic heat sink and fan for cooling and it was 35°C max. and about 28°C most of the time. It uses about 0.65A at 5.15V (~0.47A w/o fan) -> ~3.3W.

I used a old PC to build my NAS, I did underclock the old CPU and have 2 3.5 HDDs in there. That runs at about 10W. I use Open Media Vault ;)
Please click on reply when answering direct to me. That way I get a notification ;)

"Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety."
                                  Benjamin Franklin 1755

threads

credits

Novice

credits
Published in 2017-2-6 09:43:02 | Show all floors
so android does not run smooth on PC?
Does it run smooth on PC2? i'm in doubt which to buy

threads

credits

Forum patriarch

credits
Published in 2017-2-6 19:07:46 | Show all floors
Xeph20 replied at 2017-2-6 09:43
so android does not run smooth on PC?
Does it run smooth on PC2? i'm in doubt which to buy

I did try android only once on the OPI PC and ran into several problems.
I can tell that armbian, openELEC and RetrOrangePI run smoothly.
Currently I use the OPI PC with RetrOrangePI as this comes with armbian and openELEC.
The armbian images for the OPI PC are pretty good supported by people supporting this project.

From what read here about the OPI PC2, it is in the early development stages and would not buy it.

The better offer to the OPI PC is IMHO the OPI PC plus. For 7USD more you get 8GB EMMC and WIFI. With shipping $25.69

Have also in mind if you order direct from Xunlong on Aliexpress, there is most possible no warranty!
Xunlong just answered to my question how long they give warranty: "what warranty" and nothing else ever since.

If you want a development board with warranty and better manufactor support, you might have a look at the Banana PI M2+(~$40), most supplieres on Aliexpress give 1 year warranty.

If you want a NAS you go better with a ITX mainboard with onboard CPU and with 4+SATA connections and FreeNAS or OpenMediaVault as OS. They draw from about 10-30W power. Futher you have no poor datarates via the LAN then and they start at about €35;)

Please click on reply when answering direct to me. That way I get a notification ;)

"Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety."
                                  Benjamin Franklin 1755

threads

credits

credits
Published in 2017-2-6 19:33:57 | Show all floors
with warranty and better manufacturer support,

Banana M2+ ... it's worse board on technical reality than PC+. It has problems with heat, it has slower eMMC and cost more. Manufacturer support for Banana M2+ is somewhere between bad and terrible, but the board is covered with Armbian ... so this part doesn't matter much anyway.

BTW: None of those boards are NAS ready. Check this: https://forum.armbian.com/index. ... elios4-intro/page-1

threads

credits

Forum patriarch

credits
Published in 2017-2-7 01:24:10 | Show all floors
Edited by Tina at 2017-2-7 01:40
igorpec replied at 2017-2-6 19:33
Banana M2+ ... it's worse board on technical reality than PC+. It has problems with heat, it has s ...

Hi Igor
Thanks, I was not aware that the M2+ has those problems with heat and the slow EMMC.
However I think people should be aware what they buy and if warranty is a criteria they should know what to expect of Xunlong when buying via aliexpress. And if someone wants warranty the price goes up.
I did ask resellers on alexpress who sell the banana pi what warranty they give and all I asked give 1 year.

I did not ask before I bought mine OPI PC about warranty. But that Xunlong/Steven/admin are avoiding to answer to this topic is a bit poor IMHO.

I am OK with my OPI PC and with the fact that it obvious has no warranty. After all it was just $15 plus shipping

Edit:
I did check the warranty for the pine64 and that is only 30 days

To the NAS -> I know the limitations of dev boards and wanting to be a NAS, that's why I sugested to have a look at a mITX Board like the Asrock C70M1 which is sold from about €35 ;)

Benjamin Franklin 1755

threads

credits

credits
Published in 2017-2-7 03:46:08 | Show all floors
As far as i know, banana pi is realized with lot of concept errors, and i think it cannot works properly.
If yours itent is to share files around your network (via samba) you have to use a good disk (better if ssd) wich can give you a good read/write speed, and a board with giga lan. In this way you can have an usable nas for soho.
These board are not totally bad for mediaserver use, with the right software, but consider the poor support in case of troubles.
If you want a good machine to use as nas, follow what Tina said: find a good mini itx board with a real giga lan and real sata ports, and live happy
About xulong warranty...i'm still waiting to have a working op+2e i bought...on 11/11 (dispute opened )
Good luck
OrangePi A20, with Qbee-X_testing

Still waiting for refund/replacement of no working op+2e bought on 11/11 >_<...really serious company

threads

credits

credits
Published in 2023-8-18 17:51:31 | Show all floors
Congratulations on your Orange Pi PC! Let's address your questions:

Slow Android performance: It's possible that the Android image you installed may not be optimized for your device. You could try a different Android image or check for software updates. Kodi is known for its efficient media playback, so it's a good choice for video playing. The video quality will depend on the capabilities of your device and the video formats you're playing.

Securing your external HDD: To protect your external HDD from crypto viruses, you can use antivirus software on your Android device. Keep your antivirus up to date and avoid downloading files from untrusted sources. Regularly backup your data as well for added security.

Subtitles in Kodi: Kodi does support subtitles. In Kodi settings, you can enable subtitle support and adjust settings for proper display of Cyrillic characters. There are various font customization options available to suit your preferences.

Starting the device on LAN: Some devices support Wake-on-LAN (WoL), which allows you to start them remotely over the LAN. Check if your Orange Pi PC supports this feature or explore remote access tools that can power on the device when needed.

Cooling the CPU: Using a heatsink is a good idea for CPU cooling. If you find that the current heatsink is not sufficient, you can try using a larger heatsink or consider adding a small fan for better cooling. Monitor the temperature while watching movies to ensure it doesn't overheat.

As a beginner, it's normal to have questions. Don't hesitate to ask!
By the way, I was just reading an article by Cleveroad about how to create a live streaming website. It's not exactly on topic, but I really liked it. Perhaps someone will be interested in this topic

threads

credits

Novice

credits
Published in 2024-3-20 19:20:23 | Show all floors
As social media continues to evolve, having access to the Best SMM Panel ensures your strategies remain ahead of the curve, adapting to algorithm changes and trends.
You need to log in before you can reply login | Register

Points Rule

Quick reply Top Return list