View: 11073|Reply: 2

Does Orange Pi Zero have 2 Serial Ports?

[Copy link]

threads

credits

Novice

credits
Published in 2017-1-18 14:43:36 | Show all floors |Read mode
Hi Experts,

I am using Armbian on Orange Pi Zero and image is working fine and we can access armbian console with the three pins next to ethernet port. However we see that there are Rx, Tx pin on 26 pin header compatible to Raspberry pi.

When we connect the console to the GND/Rx/Tx on 26 pin header we do not get console so my understanding is that there is a dedicated serial port for console that can be accessed from GND/Rx/Tx next to ethernet port and Serial port on Tx/Rx pins on 26 pin header is different.

We need extra serial port to connect our UART based peripheral. So I am wondering if I can use the Rx/Tx/GND on 26 pin header, if yes how do I use them i.e. what is the /dev/tty entry for serial port on 26 pin header on Armbian?

I know I can use USB to serial converter to connect my peripheral but if I can use existing pins on board why not use them and avoid extra cost.

Looking for your advice.

threads

credits

Registered member

credits
Published in 2017-1-18 21:11:17 | Show all floors
Hi ... I am learning also how to squeeze the juice in this machine :-)

According with the specifications, there are two more USB ports on the 13 pin side.  In fact, Xunlong sells an expansion board with the USB dual connector.

But you already have two complete USB ones in the basic machine.  The full size and the power-otg that you can use for data also (I am using it to chain two OPIZ and it works well, powering and connecting two different OPIZ machines).

Greetings

http://linux-sunxi.org/images/e/ ... chanetics-v1_11.pdf

threads

credits

Intermediate member

credits
Published in 2017-1-19 19:52:55 | Show all floors
Well, according to this, it does have two UARTs.
However, in your image/kernel/boot script they may not be configured. In that case you need to enable them, otherwise linux will use the corresponding pins just as simple GPIOs - PA00 PA01 PG06 PG07.
You need to log in before you can reply login | Register

Points Rule

Quick reply Top Return list