Images compatible for Orange Pi Plus2 and the actual SoC support status

[Copy link]

threads

credits

Registered member

credits
Published in 2017-1-22 01:09:56 | Show all floors |Read mode
Hello everyone!
As I see now on the main site of orange pi, the images for pi plus and pi plus2 are in one group. Also, the pi plus and pi plus 2e are both supported by the mainline U-Boot and mainline linux kernel, and pi plus 2 uses only "legacy sunxi kernel". But they all have the Allwinner H3 CPU chip. Why there are this differences? And what model are the most similar to pi plus 2? Is it pi plus or pi plus 2e?

And yes, what are the problems with H3 support in Allwinner's repository? Or it's fully supported now?

threads

credits

credits
Published in 2017-1-24 12:58:36 | Show all floors
Sorry for my confision / mistake.
This boards is almost the same as previous version (Orange pi +). It only has more memory and eMMC. Software support is identical.
https://linux-sunxi.org/Xunlong_Orange_Pi_Plus_2

But it's recommended to use configuration / image from Orangepi_plus_2e since it fancy eMMC support within boot loader by default.

threads

credits

Registered member

credits
Published in 2017-1-24 18:38:20 | Show all floors
@igorpec: I believe the information in linux-sunxi wiki is wrong (the last change mentioning OPi Plus 2E) and am about to delete the whole page in a few days as announced in linux-sunxi IRC already. OPi Plus 2 is identical with Plus from a software point of view so this will be a 'Variant' of Plus later in the wiki.

@AlexNT: Plus 2 might be the most expensive OPi but it's not the 'top model' since USB ports are partially behind an USB hub and the USB-to-SATA bridge is crap. Plus 2E is always the better choice!

threads

credits

credits
Published in 2017-1-23 23:53:36 | Show all floors
> why it's impossible to build an image special for the OPi Plus 2, not using Pi Plus's image.

Nobody claim it's impossible. It's just dirty at the moment, since each new board usually come with sources that are buggy, unfinished, optimised for Android, uses some odd ways to boot, etc. ...

We just made first commit / progress withing Armbian regarding this board today:
https://github.com/igorpecovnik/ ... edc125af79c22bc0c21

I heard it's alive

threads

credits

credits
Published in 2017-1-22 04:24:05 | Show all floors
Edited by igorpec at 2017-1-21 21:25

Chech those sites:

www.armbian.com
linux-sunxi.org

You will find most of your answers there.

threads

credits

Registered member

credits
 Author| Published in 2017-1-23 22:41:56 | Show all floors
igorpec replied at 2017-1-22 04:24
Chech those sites:

www.armbian.com
Chech those sites:
Yes, I've read them. But I can't understand rigth now, why it's impossible to build an image special for the OPi Plus 2, not using Pi Plus's image.

threads

credits

Registered member

credits
 Author| Published in 2017-1-24 04:06:19 | Show all floors
Edited by AlexNT at 2017-1-24 04:16
igorpec replied at 2017-1-23 23:53
> why it's impossible to build an image special for the OPi Plus 2, not using Pi Plus's image.

Nobo ...

Yes, I see, that the project is alive, of course.
But it's strange, that "lite" version - Orange Pi Plus 2E has full support (mainstream uboot&linux), when the "top" model - Orange Pi Plus 2 hasn't. (The link you've sent is about Pi PC2, not Plus 2).
The things I can't find in any Orange Pi repositories (in sunxi's too) is Orange Pi Plus 2 board description (fex'es, dtb's and board.conf). So, now it's impossible to build kernel and uboot especially for Orange Pi Plus 2. But I can see on the sunxi-linux wiki, that the most of the modules for H3 is written, so it's possible to build the kernel for uboot&linux for H3, but not for the Orange Pi Plus 2 board. I had some experience in writing a fex and dtb (it's rather small, but I'm very excited by the power of Orange Pi Plus 2, so I'm ready to start testing and contributing), but the thing I can't find to begin write them is Orange Pi Plus 2 hardware design (schematics) - I just don't know, what's connected to what pin of CPU, for example.
My second question was about the similar boards. Which of the Orange Pi's are the most similar to the Orange Pi Plus 2? I think, if I had this info and the Orange Pi Plus 2 hardware design and schematics - i could start to write a fex and dtb for Orange Pi Plus 2 board.

Anyway, thanks for your replies!

threads

credits

Registered member

credits
 Author| Published in 2017-1-25 03:28:03 | Show all floors
kaiser replied at 2017-1-24 18:38
@igorpec: I believe the information in linux-sunxi wiki is wrong (the last change mentioning OPi Plu ...

Thanks for your reply!
I've selected OPi Plus 2 because it has onboard SATA-controller (even though it's a crap in case of fast HDD's) , and (as I understood) not all USB-ports are behind the hub. Also, it has the maximum of hardware features, so it's great choice for practicing how to work with single-board computers, but not to use it in everyday life in some appliances (for them you select the model (as cheap as it possible with the number of needed peripherals) and just load the configuration of appliance/data/e.t.c, which you developed later on your "senior" model).

And, again, which model is the most similar to the OPi Plus 2 - OPi Plus 2E or Opi Plus? What are the differences in schematics (and is it possible to get the schematic of OPi Plus 2?), so, if I build an image for the OPi Plus 2E and load it to the OPi Plus 2 - there only will be no SATA-chip support?

threads

credits

Registered member

credits
Published in 2017-1-30 21:50:14 | Show all floors
AlexNT replied at 2017-1-25 03:28
which model is the most similar to the OPi Plus 2 - OPi Plus 2E or Opi Plus?

Plus and Plus 2 are 100 percent identical from a software PoV. Plus 2E is the better choice and different.

Please also note: GL830 USB-to-SATA bridge as used on Plus and Plus 2 is not only dog slow but buggy too: https://irclog.whitequark.org/linux-sunxi/2016-06-27#16843360;

threads

credits

Novice

credits
Published in 2021-11-30 11:25:46 | Show all floors
It really looks great, I've seen many other posts, that's the info I needed, thanks for sharing.
  word finder
You need to log in before you can reply login | Register

Points Rule

Quick reply Top Return list