SSH to OrangePi Zero

[Copy link]

threads

credits

Novice

credits
Published in 2017-5-8 20:17:58 | Show all floors |Read mode
Hi,

I got a OrangePi Zero.   I have it connected to an Ethernet cable and a debug serial port.   I can control the Zero through the serial port.  However, I cannot create a stable SSH connection to the device.    I have tried MobaXterm, Putty and WinSCP.  All will sometimes connect, but then drop the connection before anything useful can be accomplished.   I also have a Raspberry PI 3.   If I connect the Raspberry PI to the same power supply and Ethernet cable, then it connects and works fine.   Therefore, I do not think the problem is external HW or my external setup.

OrangePi Zero is running :

Linux OrangePizero 3.4.39 #3 SMP PREEMPT Mon Nov    28 10:12:06 CST 2016 armv7l GNU/Linux

From MobaXterm I get continual warning on attempting to connect of :

WARNING - REMOTE HOST IDENTIFICATION HAS CHANGED

I only get this on the Raspberry PI when the router has assigned it another Ethernet address.

Failing login from MobaXterm is like:
login as: root

Using keyboard-interactive authentication.

Password:

Access is denied

Access denied

Password:

Anytime I get that keyboard-interactive authentication,   then it will never accept the correct password.    When it works, the login looks like:
login as: root

root@192.168.0.101's password:

Any ideas what is wrong?

As I am typing this, I realize that the router always gives the OrangePi the same IP Address, 192.168.101.    I am testing this at work, so that is a suspiciously low IP address since there is lots of things on the network.   Halting the Zero and powering it down, then I can still ping 192.168.0.101.    Therefore it seems like perhaps the Zero is using a default IP address rather than requesting one.    Does that make sense to anyone?

Thanks.

--- Steve

threads

credits

Administrator

credits
Published in 2017-5-24 14:43:56 | Show all floors
Hi friend, I am so sorry nobody supports you on this issue in our forum. Did you figure it out?

threads

credits

Novice

credits
Published in 2017-6-26 15:17:03 | Show all floors
I run Armbian_5.27_Orangepione_Debian_jessie_default_3.4.113 on my OPI Zero (256MB).  I did not check, but I assume I am have the 1.4 version of the Zero.  My Ethernet is rock solid.  Both SSH (Linux client) and  P2P daemon work..  

As a diagnostic test, I would try a current, known good, current Armbian distribution.   

threads

credits

credits
Published in 2017-6-30 10:42:10 | Show all floors
From MobaXterm I get continual warning on attempting to connect of :

WARNING - REMOTE HOST IDENTIFICATION HAS CHANGED

Just a thought on this message:

Orange Pi's set the MAC address randomly. So (also) depending on the lease time set on the router it gets a new IP address (routers just check the MAC address for new requests). Getting a new IP causes this warning (i.e. you just hit a remembered IP address but the device is different).

To get things in control just fix hwaddress in /etc/network/interfaces.

1. hwaddress ether xx:xx:xx:xx:xx:xx # if you want to set MAC manually
Copy code

This has nothing to do with dropping connections thou. It has to be the distro. Use Armbian as indicated.
OPi's: 3 Zero, 4 One, 1 Plus, 1 PC2, 1 cam
OPi on transit: 1 One, 1 2G-IOT, 1 2G IOT Touch LCD
3 RPi 3, 1 RPi 2, 3 RPi cam
You need to log in before you can reply login | Register

Points Rule

Quick reply Top Return list