View: 5754|Reply: 2

Can't connect Visual Studio/VB Win-desktop App to MySQL on Debian 8 OPi

[Copy link]

threads

credits

Novice

credits
Published in 2017-6-2 07:52:48 | Show all floors |Read mode
I have just run into a roadblock, namely connecting a Visual Studio/VB 2015 desktop (Win 7) App to MySQL out on my LAN.. I have most of the MySQL Utilities installed (see attached photo). "MySQL Data Provider" does show when I try to Add a Connection, but the "Test Connection" fails. So does MySQL Workbench and MySQL Utilities: Shell, mysqlsh & utility console. The last three give a clue to the connection problem, namely that "the target machine actively refused it." I know other connections work: phpMyAdmin on at least two browsers, several of my own html and php web pages, Putty (terminal emulator) and PuttyFTP clients all work. A montage of screen captures showing all the evidence is attached.

I suspect the Debian 8 based server needs to grant some sort of permission, but I don't have the experience to tell. Appreciations in advance for any help.

Gene

This thread contains more resources

You need to Log in to download or view,No account?    Register

x

threads

credits

Novice

credits
 Author| Published in 2017-6-2 12:51:15 | Show all floors
Edited by geneous42 at 2017-6-1 22:08

Found the problem!   By default, MySQL only listens for connections from the local host where is where phpMyAdmin, for example, runs (even though its display is on my WinDeskTop browser).  So, the bind-address configuration parameter must be changed to allow remote clients access, such as Visual Basic & MySQLworkbench since they are "remote" to the MySQL platform.  See http://do.co/2rraNqh  Actually located /etc/mysql/my.cnf

threads

credits

Administrator

credits
Published in 2017-6-2 18:19:51 | Show all floors
geneous42 replied at 2017-6-2 12:51
Found the problem!   By default, MySQL only listens for connections from the local host where is whe ...

Good to hear that! And also thanks for your illustration at your experience.
You need to log in before you can reply login | Register

Points Rule

Quick reply Top Return list