Pi Lite2 - how to check cpu temp and change speed of the fan

[Copy link]

threads

credits

Novice

credits
Published in 2018-6-27 20:30:03 | Show all floors |Read mode
Hi

Recently I bought Orange Pi Lite 2 1GB version. And I'm totally new to this whole single board computer world.
And I have few questions to ask:
1. What small fan do you recommend for me to use with my orange pi lite 2? Can it be low/mid/high speed? Or just one constant speed without the ability to change the speed?
2. Also, how can I check CPU temps on Debian Jessie/ubuntu? I tried lm-sensors and few other things but it just says "no sensors detected/found" or just simply don't show any temps :/... CPU is very warm to touch in idle but I can touch the CPU for long time and it's really hot when using chromium or any other apps (I can't touch it for longer than 1 second)

Thanks for any answers.

PS: Please keep in mind that I'm totally new to orange pi and Linux. So don't flame me :-)

threads

credits

credits
Published in 2018-6-30 04:01:26 | Show all floors
Edited by igorpec at 2018-6-29 21:23
You don't know my situation.

That is true. I have no idea about your situation.

Let's chat again in 6-12 months about this issue.
if you don't want to help

I can't help you more than I just did. Don't shoot the messenger

threads

credits

credits
Published in 2018-6-28 04:39:27 | Show all floors
And I'm totally new to this whole single board computer world.

Support for H6 based boards is not so good yet ... It would be better to start exploration with the previous generation, which is well supported. Orangepi PC+ would be the best board for general purpose.

threads

credits

Registered member

credits
Published in 2018-6-28 13:41:38 from mobile | Show all floors
I use 2x Lite2 boards. Fitted them with copper heatsinks and a 30mm fan blowing on to them. They stay cool to touch and 1 of them has been running 24/7 for at least 2 months now.

threads

credits

Novice

credits
 Author| Published in 2018-6-28 17:50:19 | Show all floors
igorpec replied at 2018-6-28 04:39
Support for H6 based boards is not so good yet ... It would be better to start exploration with th ...

But I already bought it :/... I don't have money to but another board. Are there really no temperature monitors for H6? There must be at least one... :/

threads

credits

credits
Published in 2018-6-28 20:28:45 | Show all floors
Edited by igorpec at 2018-6-28 13:29
But I already bought it :/
+
Please keep in mind that I'm totally new to orange pi and Linux.
Put it into the drawer and forget about for few months. You might lose interest, develop a wrong picture about Linux or get crazy
I don't have money to but another board.
You will waste enormous more time and there will be little to no help from other users ... in exchange for 10-20USD? You are not serious, right?
Are there really no temperature monitors for H6?
New boards lack many obvious functions or they work poorly.

threads

credits

Novice

credits
 Author| Published in 2018-6-29 20:50:04 | Show all floors
Edited by qiuas at 2018-6-29 20:51
igorpec replied at 2018-6-28 20:28
+
Put it into the drawer and forget about for few months. You might lose interest, develop a wrong p ...

First, don't be so egoistic... It costs much, much more to ship it to my country than it's really worth (YES, FROM ALIEXPRESS). And I don't want to spend 30-40$ on another board. You don't know my situation. Maybe I wasn't eating breakfast for a week to save enough money just to buy this? (Yes, it was sarcasm but a good sarcasm)
Two, if you don't want to help then just don't waste anyone's time and nerves.
I'll leave this thread open so maybe in "few months" someone who "didn't lose interest" will help me.
(Or you will close it because you didn't like my reply... who knows)

threads

credits

credits
Published in 2018-6-29 22:55:42 | Show all floors
As stated the software support for H6 based boards in general and especially for OrangePi boards is very poor or non existing. You will have to wait until proper drivers are created or use it as it is with the hacked-together provided images from OrangePi.

I made a bad decision to get an OrangePi One Plus which offers the H6 chip as well and now having a board with three of four cores running at 100% for no reason but most likely due to poor software support. This MAY be fixed next year or so when it its kernel mainline support.

threads

credits

Registered member

credits
Published in 2018-7-7 00:08:09 | Show all floors
I use inexpensive 25mm x 50mm black heatsinks I got from Aliexpress and one 2510 fan attached with M3 15mm nylon screws and its power plug goes onto the GPIO headers. With generous application of Arctic silver on ram and soc chips, keeps temperature at about 55 celcius while cpu maxed out and room temperature 20C.
To read cpu temp cat /sys/class/thermal/thermal_zone0/temp /sys/class/thermal/thermal_zone1/temp
I also have a guide how to resize / (root) filesystem to fill sd card. In Beginners forum.
You need to log in before you can reply login | Register

Points Rule

Quick reply Top Return list