View: 10971|Reply: 15

sd card help

[Copy link]

threads

credits

Novice

credits
Published in 2015-8-17 10:22:17 | Show all floors |Read mode
i have followed the instructions on here as to how to load an os on my ard but it isnt working what is the recommended sd ard size and class and speed ? i am using a 64 bit computer will that cause a problem ?

threads

credits

Forum patriarch

credits
Published in 2015-8-17 10:49:14 | Show all floors
As long as the image fits, the size of the card should not matter (i.e. you need a card >= the image size, how much bigger is up to you). I don't know about the class and speed, maybe a slower card would just slow things down but still work. I am using 32GB Ultra Sandisk cards and never had a problem. It does not matter what you use to write the image to the card, it's an image after all. Can you elaborate on the problem you're having?
OPi 2. OPi-PC, OPi+2E, OPi-PC2

threads

credits

Novice

credits
 Author| Published in 2015-8-17 11:30:43 | Show all floors
doubleatheman replied at 2015-8-17 11:02
Try using this to write the image:http://sourceforge.net/projects/win32diskimager/files/Archive/

i did this already as it is how they said to do it on the site in the directions and no go   i am using a 32 gb sand disc extreme

threads

credits

Novice

credits
 Author| Published in 2015-8-17 11:33:10 | Show all floors
KY69 replied at 2015-8-17 10:49
As long as the image fits, the size of the card should not matter (i.e. you need a card >= the image ...

when i try to use the recommended software it says it is going on but then when i go to my computer it says there is 29 mb on the card

threads

credits

Forum patriarch

credits
Published in 2015-8-17 11:55:44 | Show all floors

orry,

Edited by KY69 at 2015-8-17 00:59
horrormike replied at 2015-8-17 00:33
when i try to use the recommended software it says it is going on but then when i go to my compute ...

32GB cards will show up as having a little less than 30GB, that's "normal". What image are you using? The Raspbian and Lubuntu images from the download page did not show anything on my monitor until the graphical login screen, you simply had to wait for a while with a black screen (on the Orange Pi 2). Since loboris made his images available I have been using his (www.orangepi.org/orangepibbsen/f ... =342&extra=page%3D1).

Edit: sorry, misread 29MB as 29GB. It's like doubleatheman explained, that's just the FAT partition. You should have a second partition with the rest of your system.

threads

credits

Novice

credits
 Author| Published in 2015-8-17 13:32:05 | Show all floors
KY69 replied at 2015-8-17 11:55
32GB cards will show up as having a little less than 30GB, that's "normal". What image are you usin ...

how do i get the rest f the card to show up the part with the os on it and i got a mini screen on it so i would be able to have it more portable as right now i dont have a monitor to hook it too should i try it in the pi and see if it reads the os

threads

credits

Novice

credits
 Author| Published in 2015-8-17 13:36:33 | Show all floors
doubleatheman replied at 2015-8-17 11:42
Yeah, windows will only see the Boot FAT partition of the card, that is normal. The second partition ...

its fine with the other post stuuf like that happens to me alot too and i didnt plug in the sd ard into the pi when i saw the what i though was an issue as i didnt want to hurt the pi but i will try it now and see what happens and get back to you when i do

threads

credits

Forum patriarch

credits
Published in 2015-8-17 14:22:10 | Show all floors
horrormike replied at 2015-8-17 02:32
how do i get the rest f the card to show up the part with the os on it and i got a mini screen on  ...

I'm not quite sure I understood, do you have just the small screen attached to your Pi? BTW, which Pi is it that you have? I only have an OPi2, so if I might not be able to help you with small screens.

If you're in Linux all you have to do to show the other partition on your SD card is mount it (mount /dev/sdXY mountpoint). If you're in Windows I remember a long time ago there was a program that allowed you to access Linux ext partitions, but I do not remember what it was called. There are probably many options for that nowadays, Google should give you a few.

If you're trying to use just the small screen with your Pi and it outputs nothing then it would probably be easier to first try to connect it to a standard monitor, edit whatever is necessary, and only then migrate to the small screen. At least with the OPi2 images there were issues with screen resolution, you may have to edit configuration files in order to get the output on an LCD small screen. If you have a Pi/Mini 1 take a look at the boot partition, you probably have configuration files in there, and you may be able to locate an option to enable small LCD screen output as well as set its resolution.

threads

credits

Novice

credits
 Author| Published in 2015-8-18 13:13:37 from mobile | Show all floors
I am using windows 7 ultimate and trying to get Linux on my pi I have the orange pi mini 2 and I do have a small screen attached to my pi but all that shows up is a blank white screen

threads

credits

Novice

credits
 Author| Published in 2015-8-18 13:15:31 from mobile | Show all floors
I will try a regular monitor when I get my next paycheck and also will get the pi plus due to it seems that it will fit my needs better but still want to get this one up and running
You need to log in before you can reply login | Register

Points Rule

Quick reply Top Return list