View: 10439|Reply: 2

Orange Pi RK3399 kernel support

[Copy link]

threads

credits

Registered member

credits
Published in 2019-7-30 20:40:17 | Show all floors |Read mode
AFAICT RK3399 support was already added to the Linux kernel back in April 11 (Started March 18).

Which means the patch was applied before 5.1-rc5, the latest stable is 5.2.4 and the latest RC is 5.3-rc2.

So basically, given that I've compiled a kernel for amd64 I can use it with RK3399 so potentially I can work with Arch on my system and even use the rolling update method to upgrade the kernel.

In Ubuntu I can probably use 'eoan' (19.10) without any special modifications because it's already powered by 5.2.

I just want to make sure I understand the whole picture correctly and see if there's an option to make a version of my own without any special compilations or adjustments.

threads

credits

Novice

credits
Published in 2019-9-13 05:42:36 | Show all floors
Hey!

I'm also looking into running arch on the RK3399 board. I've compiled and flashed a u-boot bootloader and can boot up into u-boot, but I just cannot start the ramdisk provided by archlinuxarm. I've also compiled my own kernel + ramdisk, but these won't work either.
Basically I'm starting U-Boot, using serial console to set the bootargs:
  1. => setenv bootargs "root=/dev/mmcbpl1p1 rootwait rootfstype=ext4 loglevel=9 console=tty-S0 console=tty0"                                    
  2. => load mmc 1:1 $kernel_addr_r /boot/Image                                                                                                  
  3. 26436096 bytes read in 1316 ms (19.2 MiB/s)                                                                                                                                                                           
  4. => load mmc 1:1 $ramdisk_addr_r /boot/initramfs-linux.img                                                                                   
  5. 7263143 bytes read in 461 ms (15 MiB/s)                                                                                                     
  6. => load mmc 1:1 $ramdisk_addr_r /boot/initramfs-linux-fallback.img                                                                          
  7. 18734584 bytes read in 1020 ms (17.5 MiB/s)                                                                                                
  8. => load mmc 1:1 $fdt_addr_r /boot/dtbs/rockchip/rk3399-orangepi.dtb                                                                        
  9. 73675 bytes read in 12 ms (5.9 MiB/s)                                                                                                      
  10. => fdt addr $fdt_addr_r                                                                                                                     
  11. => fdt resize                                                                                                                              
  12. => booti ${kernel_addr_r} ${ramdisk_addr_r}:${filesize} ${fdt_addr_r}                                                                       
  13. ## Flattened Device Tree blob at 01f00000                                                                                                   
  14.    Booting using the fdt blob at 0x1f00000                                                                                                  
  15.    Loading Ramdisk to f5f17000, end f5f28fcb ... OK                                                                                         
  16.    Loading Device Tree to 00000000f5f01000, end 00000000f5f16fff ... OK                                                                     
  17.                                                                                                                                             
  18. Starting kernel ...                                                                                                                        
Copy code

After the starting kernel message nothing happens. From what I understand, since the board is supported by the kernel, after loading the dtb the ramdisk should load, but it just hangs up. Loading the dtb + ramdisk from armbian works fine, btw.
I'll investigate further and update here. If someone has an idea please feel free to help.

threads

credits

Registered member

credits
 Author| Published in 2019-9-16 17:16:43 | Show all floors
Just guessing because I'm not really sure but do you think that recompiling the dtb is necessary in this case?
You need to log in before you can reply login | Register

Points Rule

Quick reply Top Return list