please choosego to mobile | Continue to access the PC version
View: 99043|Reply: 52

[Mini 2] HDMI-DVI converter failure (no screen)

[Copy link]

threads

credits

Novice

credits
Published in 2015-9-29 18:15:50 | Show all floors |Read mode
Hi everyone!
Sorry for my English...
I had trouble with Orange PI 2 Mini connected to DVI monitor using HDMI-DVI converter. There is nothing on the screen, it doesnt turns on.
DVI adapter is not recognized by Orange PI - is it possible to force signal on the screen without changing adapter, eg. using a command or edit some scripts?

Oragne PI is connected to 5V supply, when using a HDMI monitor there is no problem, everything works fine, but i really ned to connect it to DVI monitor... Is it possible with any else hdmi0to-dvi cable?
Is it related with HDCP support / no support?

Hardware:
Orange PI 2 MINI + hdmi cable + HDMI - DVI (24+1) adapter + Samsung SyncMaster SA300 (monitor) + O.S. Debian 8 Jessie

Thanks

WlodzimierzH

threads

credits

Novice

credits
Published in 2015-10-15 19:14:17 | Show all floors
alexcom replied at 2015-10-15 17:47
@zipob Could you give some link to a guide how to achieve it? I did not try to make my own build yet ...

Install sunxi-tools
  1. sudo apt-get install sunxi-tools
Copy code

Boot partition should be mounted to /media/boot in loboris images. As root, make backup of  script.bin and convert it to script.fex with bin2fex and edit script.fex with editor of your choice
  1. sudo su
  2. cd /media/boot
  3. cp script.bin script.bin.bak
  4. bin2fex script.bin script.fex
  5. nano script.fex
Copy code

Find section [hdmi_para] and add these parameters under it
  1. hdcp_enable = 0
  2. hdmi_cts_compatibility = 1
Copy code

Save the file and convert script.fex back to script.bin
  1. fex2bin script.fex script.bin
Copy code

Reboot

threads

credits

Registered member

credits
Published in 2015-11-15 00:06:48 | Show all floors
jacer replied at 2015-11-11 21:23
Download attached files and extract to FAT partition of your TF card.

ok,

thank you for your help but is not running.
I think my orange pi pc card is dead! (video)
but the processeur is running. (connecting with ssh)

threads

credits

Novice

credits
Published in 2015-11-3 12:42:13 | Show all floors
just want to share my experience in getting my Orange Pi PC work on HPW1907 montor with DVI connection.

1. i modified the script.fex to include the following:
     a. under [hdmi_para], i have included the following lines:
           hdcp_enable = 0
           hdmi_cts_compatibility = 1

b. under [boot_disp]
          screen0_output_type = 3
          screen0_ouput_mode = 4
          screen0_output_type = 3
          screen0_ouput_mode = 4
          fb0_width = 1440
          fb0_height = 900
          fb1_width = 1440
          fb1_height = 900

Note: the 1440 and 900 is the recommended maximum resolution that my HPW1907 monitor can support.

my hardware set-up is:
    orange pi ------HDMI cable -----HDMI to VDI Connector----HPW1907 DVI Port
my OS is: OrangePI-PC_Ubuntu_Vivid_Mate.img.xz

a good reference to read on how the srcipt.bin (or script.fex) can be found in this link:
     http://linux-sunxi.org/Fex_Guide#.5Bdisp_init.5D

you need to install a sunxi tools in order to convert the sript.bin to a text file (script.fex) to modify  the parameters inside it.
    https://github.com/linux-sunxi/sunxi-tools

if somebody needs a more detailed stepts, just drop me a note.

Enjoy playing with your Orange Pi PC!!!!

threads

credits

Novice

credits
Published in 2015-10-2 17:45:28 | Show all floors
Edited by David1 at 2015-10-2 17:47

I have the same issue with my OrangePi PC.
I tried both the OrangePi 2 raspbian image form the downloadpage and loboris images. And two different displays (1080P Samsung SyncMaster SA450 and 1024x768 ELO touchscreen)

Good thing I saw this topic and decided to test my OrangePi on a TV-screen first, or I would  have opened a dispute thinking it was DOA.

Anyway it's still kind of a dealbreaker that it doesn't work with DVI-displays. Is there anything we can do about this?

threads

credits

Novice

credits
Published in 2015-10-3 09:09:37 | Show all floors
Same problem.  No solution.  I browsed the topic under the more generic pi duckduckgo ( search engine ) browse, and found some discussion of it being a possibility of a ground problem on the cable, that the grounds are connected to the shield, and thus, only if the shield ground is respected on both sides, will the HDMI to DVI cable work properly, but I have not tested this.  They also said that if you connect the RCA output to a monitor, the dvi to HDMI connection will light up, likely due to the grounding issue, but I have not tested this either.

It would be nice to be able to get the hdmi output to work with DVI enabled monitors, like my HP 2009 monitor.

If anyone has any ideas or something helpful to contribute, I would be thrilled with a workaround/fix.

TIA.

threads

credits

Novice

credits
Published in 2015-10-3 09:13:16 | Show all floors
My only other thought regarding this, is to abandon the use of a local display, install xrdp and tightvncserver and use them and ssh instead.

Still, having the local display functioning ( over HDMI to DVI ) has obvious benefits with regards to video performance, and the possibility of playing video through the orange PI.
Published in 2015-10-7 18:35:20 | Show all floors
I have the same issue on OPI PC. Samsung P2250 fullHD monitor and HDMI-DVI cable. I wonder is it hardware problem or could it be fixed in software?
I intended to use OPI with display only, so it's critical issue to me.

threads

credits

Registered member

credits
Published in 2015-10-8 03:31:06 | Show all floors
You can try to connect a hdmi => vga converter for testing. In my case (opi-pc) i had a working uart, but no video via HDMI. I connected monitor via vga with the adapter an now i got a nice desktop environment.
A lot of monitors seem to choke in the HDMI audio signal. I'm working on a workaround, but this will take some time and i don't have any spare time at the moment.

threads

credits

Novice

credits
Published in 2015-10-14 06:31:28 | Show all floors
Got DVI working by adding following under [hdmi_para] in script.fex

1. hdcp_enable = 0
  2. hdmi_cts_compatibility = 1
Copy code

Published in 2015-10-15 17:47:31 | Show all floors
@zipob Could you give some link to a guide how to achieve it? I did not try to make my own build yet. Would appreciate it.
Published in 2015-10-17 01:15:08 | Show all floors
You are my hero! Thank you!
You need to log in before you can reply login | Register

Points Rule

Quick reply Top Return list